Author Topic: What do the Cavs want for Varejao?  (Read 4457 times)

What do the Cavs want for Varejao?
« on: November 20, 2012, 12:06:49 AM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Hes a beast on the boards. What do you think they would demand and what you think they would actually get if they end up trading him?

p.s. I dont see OKC giving up their raptors lottery pick for him.

Re: What do the Cavs want for Varejao?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:30:22 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hes a beast on the boards. What do you think they would demand and what you think they would actually get if they end up trading him?

p.s. I dont see OKC giving up their raptors lottery pick for him.

I think the cavs are in a situation lots of teams are in; Varejao means more to Cleveland than other teams will be willing to offer. Kind of like us with Bradley, or like Iggy in Philly for a lot of years.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:51:01 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm not going to link to Hoopsworld because of the annoying video that auto-played, but they claim:

League sources said bluntly, that anything involving Varejao is also going to have to move out Luke Walton and his $6 million ending contract and return youth and draft picks.

I think it is reasonable for Cleveland to hold out for that.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:23:58 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not sure I'm willing to trade the salary to match Varejao and Walton. We're talking 14.5M. I'd trade Bass and Lee for Varejao and Casspi/Miles and honestly I wouldn't mind taking on Walton as dead weight but I couldn't stomach shipping out Green or some combination of our rookies to make the salaries match for Walton.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 02:47:29 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
As I said for Gortat, I don't want a trade but if Danny is going to trade for either of them (if I was him), I would be willing to give up any combination of Sully, Green, Clee, Melo, and any picks we had within reason (I would also give up Bass, reluctantly)... I would not give up AB. That's just me though.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:13 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I will give up:

Lee + Bass + 1st Round Pick (~ $12M)
Lee + Sully + 1st Round Pick (~ $8M)
Barbosa + Bass + 1st Round Pick (~ 7M)
Barbosa + Sully + 1st Round Pick (~ 3M, this wouldn't get us much)

I'd consider chucking Kris Joseph into any of those deals as well. 

I really do not want to give up Terry, Green or Bradley.  You can say what you want about Terry and Green but they are both giving us 15-18 points per 36 minutes, which is solid offensive production.

They both also fill an important role - Terry as our designated shooter and Green as versatile backup SF (I do NOT want Joseph or Lee starting @ SF if Pierce misses a game). 

Bradley is just too skilled with too much upside for him to consider giving him up.

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 07:11:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Green and filler.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Doc would turn him into a 10 foot shooter and non rebounder, just like bass, big baby, now sully......or he would ride the pine...! Like Darko...!!! And anyone else in the past who tried to rebound...!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Most likely a lot more than the C's have to offer.

He has been a monster when he has been on the floor the last 2 seasons, and even before that was one of the better defensive big men in the game...and makes about half as much money as other starting centers of his caliber for the next 2 years.  If he becomes available, the asking price is going to be very high.

I think the more likely scenario though, is that Cleveland holds onto him, and tries to make a run at a playoff spot, using their cap space to add a couple key pieces...well, if Kyrie can ever get on the floor.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 09:17:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

He has been a monster when he has been on the floor the last 2 seasons, and even before that was one of the better defensive big men in the game...and makes about half as much money as other starting centers of his caliber for the next 2 years.  If he becomes available, the asking price is going to be very high.

I think the more likely scenario though, is that Cleveland holds onto him, and tries to make a run at a playoff spot, using their cap space to add a couple key pieces...well, if Kyrie can ever get on the floor.

Sort of depends on how long Irving is out.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This is where I am at too. I really dislike Varejo but you cant knock his play. He is a beast and does the dirty work and hustle night in and night out and its really paying off because he is producing effectively.

For the Cavs to trade Varejo they are probably going to have to be blown away by an offer, something I dont think we have to give unless we do something absurd like Bradley, Green, and Bass which a) wont happen from our end and b) probably isnt even something the Cavs are interested in. Varejo could probably net them a young all star potential/franchise forming player. And really, Varejo is somewhat close to that. For the rebuilding mode he fits their team perfectly, and much better than anything we could give up.

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Sort of depends on how long Irving is out.

True.  But, even if Irving's injury submarines the season, I still expect them to ask for the moon and stars for Varajao.  They can always trade him in the offseason, if they don't get what they want for him now. 

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The Cs can take on Walton's money by sending Green, Bass, a first and a second to the Cavs for Handy Andy and Walton. 

The Cavs, who are going no where, get two rotation guys at reasonable money and picks.  Boston gets a key glue guy that they desperately need in order to compete with Miami.

And no, backup SG isn't more important than rebounding and paint presence. 

Walton is on an expiring deal, and might be flippable for to a team looking to clear out a multi-year MLE level deal.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I don't really understand the point of holding onto Varejao.

He is an elite complimentary player but not a cornerstone of a franchise.in my opinion.

I just don't see the point of holding on to him ad he has gone through his ceiling pretty much. Why not look at some young guys with star potential +Draft picks?

Also any chance (although something I hate about the NBA) that he starts griping about his situation and possibly ask suggest that they move on?

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
I don't really understand the point of holding onto Varejao.

He is an elite complimentary player but not a cornerstone of a franchise.in my opinion.

I just don't see the point of holding on to him ad he has gone through his ceiling pretty much. Why not look at some young guys with star potential +Draft picks?

Also any chance (although something I hate about the NBA) that he starts griping about his situation and possibly ask suggest that they move on?

Well, there are two ways they can go here.

If Kyrie is healthy, they might only be 1 more All-Star level player away from being a very dangerous team, but a big part of that would be having Varajao in the middle.  They have the cap space to make a deal for an impact player, along with a stockpile of future #1s (2 from Miami, 1 from LA, and one from Sacramento) if anyone hits the market.

But, if Kyrie is not going to be healthy, or they don't see a way to add another piece, then I agree that it does make sense to move Varajao.  But I don't think they will be in any rush, since he is under contract for another season.  They can hold out for the package they want.  And I just don't see the C's being a good match for that.