Author Topic: Spurs (8-3) at Celtics (6-5) 11/21  (Read 34616 times)

Re: Spurs (8-3) at Celtics (6-5) 11/21
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Meanwhile, the Celtics make a nice little run. Why don't you guys relax a little bit? It's early in the season, they are playing a very good team tonight and even with the horrid presence in the paint (on both ends), the Celtics are in this game late. Yeah, they will lose, but this team is nowhere near as bad as you are making it out to be.

Doc can only work with what he has. I agree Ainge needs to get some length in this lineup, but until then this is the team and we need everyone. When Green has a night like this, guys like Wilcox have to step up.

Personally, as much as reality says this Celtics team is just not elite, I still like this team a lot. Maybe they will never get everything together enough to put a nice string of wins together, but the Celtics have a chance to be quite good, and after years of that being a dream, I will take it.

The frustration comes out of the fact that we're seriously underperforming.  I don't care how good the opposing team is, you don't allow 57% shooting, give up a billion points in the paint, and get outrebounded by 15+.

Doc has A LOT to work with and it seems pretty obvious to many of us that he is mismanaging his personnel.  I saw Bass + Sully as our frontline earlier tonight, even after that has been proven to be nightmarish defensively.  I saw Bass + Green vs Duncan and Splitter. 

On paper, we have an incredibly dangerous team on both ends of the floor.  Why is it that the Spurs seem to get the most out of their players but we can't?  It's early in the season, but we're just not getting it done.

Doc is in a bad spot - he has to try to find combinations on the floor that work and he can't write off a combination after 1-2 bad games. A lot of the combinations have not worked - but that's what Doc has to do. He cannot ride KG and Pierce like he once could - so he has to try to find the mix that can carry the bulk of games. Maybe we simply don't have the guys to do that - or maybe Doc needs to keep working on them.

Doc is not in a bad spot, don't give me that.  I've watched every second of every game this year and he just hasn't done a good job.  You can literally see it in our play.

Look, I like Doc as a coach and think that he's done a great job over the years.  We'd have at least 2 titles since 2008 if it wasn't for injuries.  But this year just hasn't been good.

I'm not going to overreact and write this team off.  I still believe we can be a very good team by the end of the year.  But something needs to change, and that obviously begins with coaching decisions.

yep. completely agree. we are playing terribly and being coached terribly. doc should know better. high% shots..all night long. not even trying. twice as many dribble drivers this year than last year...and we are not using them correctly.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Observations from this game in no order.

Nice to know Tiago Splitter can take KG to the wood shed and not break a sweat.

Why do you have to hug Popovich after the game? What is the point of that?

Hey Pop. When your team is up by 12 and having no problem winning you don't have to call a timeout because the other team scores 4 points

I just saw a thing on the ticker while Scala is talking that Obama pardoned a turkey. You know what? Just eat the turkey. It's Thanksgiving. Pardon some kids in Syria. Single dumbest presidential tradition.

Tommy has some weird lip thing. I can't tell what it is. Do you see it?

At the end of the game with a minute and 35 seconds to go during a time out Doc is writing all over some little board. I assume he's drawing arrows to certain players saying "And we lost this game because YOU didn't play defense. And we lost this game because YOU didn't rebound", because I KNOW he's not coming up with a play to get 10 points in a minute and 35 against the Spurs.

« Reply #227 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The problem tonight was obviously the defense, especially defending the pick and roll, where we fall apart a lot of the time: Parker just goes around the screen and flies by anyone we put out there. And when we actually play help defense to stop Parker, they have at least one guy who gets open while cutting to the basket.

Otherwise a well played and exciting game.

« Reply #228 on: November 21, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
The blatant disregard for offensive rebounding is on doc. He needs to reevaluate this bc his defense ain't stopping anybody anyways.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
The problem tonight was obviously the defense, especially defending the pick and roll, where we fall apart a lot of the time: Parker just goes around the screen and flies by anyone we put out there. And when we actually play help defense to stop Parker, they have at least one guy who gets open while cutting to the basket.

[/quote

]

you're kidding right??  we are a terrible team right now going nowhere fast.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2012, 10:09:11 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
The blatant disregard for offensive rebounding is on doc. He needs to reevaluate this bc his defense ain't stopping anybody anyways.

i said that earlier. yep. might as well have everyone crash the boards to get offensive rebounds. or trade the deadwodd and get a big guy who can post up all game long. it is great KG can post up and shoot jumpers like it is great PP can drive and shoot jumpers but we need a constant force in the painst. wilcox is not cutting it. collins is garbage,
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

Offline Shad0wman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Fact of the matter is, before you go all season hoping, wishing, this team is  the team you're seeing....don't, this is the team you are watching ( I don't watch, can't deal, they're horrible and one of the most boring, inane, garbage teams to watch. It's not going to change. What exactly is it that makes you think that all of the sudden this team is going to get heart, intensity, desire to play and win basketball games? They aren't. Team is one of the most disappointing, garbage teams I've ever watched in my entire career of watching, playing.

It's still your prerogative to watch them, but be warned, they are going nowhere.
They're no fun to watch. They don't run, they give no energy and they can't rebound. Not sure I've ever seen or even heard of a team that is this bad at rebounding.

« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Doc said he doesn't care about offensive rebounds. What an idiot! His philosophy is one and done. One shot and get back. Good luck Doc trying to win a championship conceding  rebounding edge every game. It's like he never learned anything from 2010

Celtics game plan no easy points, no rebounding, no threes, no shot blocking....

« Reply #233 on: November 21, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

you're kidding right??  we are a terrible team right now going nowhere fast.

Absolutely not kidding. The Spurs are a really good team, who execute extremely well almost all the time. The Celtics were not that far behind. Didn't you think the game was exciting, when Rondo made the layup to 98-104 with a little over three minutes left?

« Reply #234 on: November 21, 2012, 10:24:23 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Fact of the matter is, before you go all season hoping, wishing, this team is  the team you're seeing....don't, this is the team you are watching ( I don't watch, can't deal, they're horrible and one of the most boring, inane, garbage teams to watch. It's not going to change. What exactly is it that makes you think that all of the sudden this team is going to get heart, intensity, desire to play and win basketball games? They aren't. Team is one of the most disappointing, garbage teams I've ever watched in my entire career of watching, playing.

It's still your prerogative to watch them, but be warned, they are going nowhere.
They're no fun to watch. They don't run, they give no energy and they can't rebound. Not sure I've ever seen or even heard of a team that is this bad at rebounding.

Many people felt that way about last year's team. 

As much as our poor defense and lack of rebounding disgusts me, I will continue to watch every game because I am a Celtics fan until I die.  If you're only going to watch teams when they're playing well, go watch the Heat.  That's where fair-weather fans belong.

« Reply #235 on: November 21, 2012, 10:26:15 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Only 8 three point attempts all game and I think one of them came at the end when the game was basically over.  What's the point of getting more three point shooters if this team is going to take any?  Just another thing that frustrates me about Doc's coaching.  I just don't understand him.  He's had the same game plan for three and half seasons.  Doesn't he every think about how to utilize his players.  I hate to be annoying and say, yes, I know all from my basement but from Terry hardly being used as a ballhandler where he's most effective to not getting any threes to treating KG like he's an invalid, Doc is the luckiest coach in history that Thibideau reneged on joining the Wizards in 2008.

« Reply #236 on: November 21, 2012, 10:32:45 PM »

Offline tgreanier

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 154
  • The Patron Saint of Defense
Meanwhile, the Celtics make a nice little run. Why don't you guys relax a little bit? It's early in the season, they are playing a very good team tonight and even with the horrid presence in the paint (on both ends), the Celtics are in this game late. Yeah, they will lose, but this team is nowhere near as bad as you are making it out to be.

Doc can only work with what he has. I agree Ainge needs to get some length in this lineup, but until then this is the team and we need everyone. When Green has a night like this, guys like Wilcox have to step up.

Personally, as much as reality says this Celtics team is just not elite, I still like this team a lot. Maybe they will never get everything together enough to put a nice string of wins together, but the Celtics have a chance to be quite good, and after years of that being a dream, I will take it.

The frustration comes out of the fact that we're seriously underperforming.  I don't care how good the opposing team is, you don't allow 57% shooting, give up a billion points in the paint, and get outrebounded by 15+.

Doc has A LOT to work with and it seems pretty obvious to many of us that he is mismanaging his personnel.  I saw Bass + Sully as our frontline earlier tonight, even after that has been proven to be nightmarish defensively.  I saw Bass + Green vs Duncan and Splitter. 

On paper, we have an incredibly dangerous team on both ends of the floor.  Why is it that the Spurs seem to get the most out of their players but we can't?  It's early in the season, but we're just not getting it done.

Doc is in a bad spot - he has to try to find combinations on the floor that work and he can't write off a combination after 1-2 bad games. A lot of the combinations have not worked - but that's what Doc has to do. He cannot ride KG and Pierce like he once could - so he has to try to find the mix that can carry the bulk of games. Maybe we simply don't have the guys to do that - or maybe Doc needs to keep working on them.

Doc is not in a bad spot, don't give me that.  I've watched every second of every game this year and he just hasn't done a good job.  You can literally see it in our play.

Look, I like Doc as a coach and think that he's done a great job over the years.  We'd have at least 2 titles since 2008 if it wasn't for injuries.  But this year just hasn't been good.

I'm not going to overreact and write this team off.  I still believe we can be a very good team by the end of the year.  But something needs to change, and that obviously begins with coaching decisions.

I have also watched every second of every game this year and I do not find fault with Doc at all. If we have lineups that don't work still on the floor come January, ok..then I might. But in November, I think Doc is working with the tools he has.
Bleeding green for 36 37 years.
"Maybe we do suck. But at least we don't wear yellow."

« Reply #237 on: November 21, 2012, 10:35:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Doc...is trying to force his will , or have a team , that can compete with BIG CENTER teams/////It an't happen n.

HEAT IS FLUKE ish team masked by street ball super human energy and ability of LBJ....

DOC ...wake up ....your non jumpung Celtics are NOT the HEAT...please get some BIGS so the Boston fan s can see some RERAL basketball once again.  Please dump GREEN yesterday....

« Reply #238 on: November 21, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
Doc...is trying to force his will , or have a team , that can compete with BIG CENTER teams/////It an't happen n.

HEAT IS FLUKE ish team masked by street ball super human energy and ability of LBJ....

DOC ...wake up ....your non jumpung Celtics are NOT the HEAT...please get some BIGS so the Boston fan s can see some RERAL basketball once again.  Please dump GREEN yesterday....
not gonna happen small ball rules!

« Reply #239 on: November 21, 2012, 11:12:40 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
It's bothered me for years but today was just hard to stomach it really made me sick. Tommy is even tired of it, as he called them out numerous times. The rebounding and not putting a body on someone is on Doc.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk