Author Topic: Alvin Gentry responds to Gortat's comments  (Read 1863 times)

Alvin Gentry responds to Gortat's comments
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:14:45 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Saw this on the suns sb nation page.
Dave asked Alvin for his comments on what Marcin said. Gentry knew exactly what he was being asked and responded:

"I'm glad he did. It's going to be what it is. Nothing's going to change. We'll try and throw him the ball and we'll try and get him the ball as much as we possibly can and do everything we can to get him the ball but you know, it is what it is."

"We'd love to be able to throw him the ball and have him post up and score for us (but) that hasn't been one of his strengths really."

Dave followed up by asking what Gentry felt Gortat's strengths are:

"Screening, rolling to the basket. Athletic enough that he can get offensive rebounds, running the open court like he did last year. Nothing's changed from last year."

Is his role in the offense impacting his defense and rebounding?

"You should be able to separate them. They're two difference facets of the game. Playing defense and rebounding and blocking shots has nothing to do with what you do on the other end. See Kenneth Faried."

A non-answer there to that last one.

Gentry also discussed the line up change and repeated what he'd said after the game on Saturday, "We will make a change."

He wouldn't say what the change would be or even if he's decided on the specifics yet. He said he just doesn't like how the starting unit is playing together and left the door open for some guys changing positions. Interesting.

"I don't, in general, like the way those guys are playing as a group. We'll look at positions we have guys in and combinations."

Asked specifically about a changed role for P.J. Tucker, Gentry said no. He called him a great defender who would be "in game when we need stops."

He wants to see the team pass more and swing the ball from strong side to weak side but when open, guys need to shoot.

Stay tuned for more on this later.

Sounds like nothing is going to change for Gortat. I was reading the comments of some suns fans and they seem to disagree with Gentry and think Gortat has a very solid to good post up game and is 2nd in ts% on the team.

Don't know why Gentry is taking a shot at Gortats defense and rebounding when he is at the top of the league in both rebounding and blocked shots.

I hope Gentry doesn't change anything and Gortat demands a trade falling right into the c's lap.

Rondo and Gortat would be great running the pick and roll :o

Re: Alvin Gentry responds to Gortat's comments
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:18:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Gentry is a bad coach. The suns don't have the best roster in the world, but he's totally mismanaging the talent that he does have.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Rondo and Gortat would be great running the pick and roll :o

We thought terry would be great in the pick and roll. Then we scored 73 points against the pistons. I don't think I saw terry dribble the ball that game. Just because gortat worked well with Nash and Phoenix it doesn't mean he will here. Especially since this team is ordered not to hit the offensive glass, which in itself is crazy.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:39:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Gortat isn't good at getting a dump-down and creating offense. Gentry hit it spot on. His high TS% and his scoring output especially in previous years was because he played in a system that saw him often moving to the basket when he caught the ball, or catching the ball where his defender was already out of position.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
So do you think that the C's would be able to better utilize Gortat's skills?  Would he get the ball more when he is on the move here with Boston than he is with the Suns? 

I don't really know myself.  I would think yes, because he could do what KG does, and KG tends to get a lot of dump passes as he is rolling to the basket.  What do others think?

Gortat isn't good at getting a dump-down and creating offense. Gentry hit it spot on. His high TS% and his scoring output especially in previous years was because he played in a system that saw him often moving to the basket when he caught the ball, or catching the ball where his defender was already out of position.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 10:24:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So do you think that the C's would be able to better utilize Gortat's skills?  Would he get the ball more when he is on the move here with Boston than he is with the Suns? 

I don't really know myself.  I would think yes, because he could do what KG does, and KG tends to get a lot of dump passes as he is rolling to the basket.  What do others think?

Well Rondo and Pierce already excel as a P&R ball handler, so there is that. Seems like Rondo is pretty adept at threading the ball to a cutter.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner