Author Topic: Darko leaning towards leaving the C's. (Update Darko Waived)  (Read 9731 times)

Re: Darko leaning towards leaving the C's. (Update Darko Waived)
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2012, 06:23:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
As long as they don't need a warm body due to injuries, the Celtics should leave the spot open and see if they can get to the January deadline when contracts become guaranteed to see who is available then.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2012, 06:27:31 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Sign Chris Andersen or Kenyon Martin

Who would you prefer and why?

Kenyon Martin = can play both PF and C and is a better passer.

I would be happy with either one of them though.

and martin is still a very good interior defender. his rebounding was mediocre to average last season, and his scoring ability has suffered. in 22 minutes he averaged 5.2 points and 4.3 rebounds.

but his defense was rated rather highly.

in contrast, bass and green are rated as poor/below average defenders. according to zach lowe:

"Breaking news: Boston can't defend without Kevin Garnett on the floor. They've allowed 94.6 points per 100 possessions when KG plays and 114.2 when he sits, per NBA.com. That's about as large as the current gap between the league's best and worst defenses."

so every minute KG is not on the floor, the celtics defense plummets and they get beaten like a rented mule. and the answer is certainly not playing KG more minutes.

so kmart would be an upgrade on that point. and as the 15th player or so on the team, if he contributes ANYTHING he trumps the darko era.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2012, 06:31:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

and martin is still a very good interior defender. his rebounding was mediocre to average last season, and his scoring ability has suffered. in 22 minutes he averaged 5.2 points and 4.3 rebounds.

in contrast, bass and green are rated as poor/below average defenders. according to zach lowe:

"Breaking news: Boston can't defend without Kevin Garnett on the floor. They've allowed 94.6 points per 100 possessions when KG plays and 114.2 when he sits, per NBA.com. That's about as large as the current gap between the league's best and worst defenses."

so every minute KG is not on the floor, the celtics defense plummets and they get beaten like a rented mule. and the answer is certainly not playing KG more minutes.

so kmart would be an upgrade on that point. and as the 15th player or so on the team, if he contributes ANYTHING he trumps the darko era.

The problem with that analysis too is that when KG sits, for most games so far this season, we're playing a different strategy, small ball with Bass and Sully together.

Since Wilcox has started playing I'd bet that the gap may not be as big, though there's still a tendency at times from Doc to put some ineffective units, like playing Green at the 4 against Humphries.

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

The problem with that analysis too is that when KG sits, for most games so far this season, we're playing a different strategy, small ball with Bass and Sully together.

Since Wilcox has started playing I'd bet that the gap may not be as big, though there's still a tendency at times from Doc to put some ineffective units, like playing Green at the 4 against Humphries.

good point above on wilcox. i have liked his play so far this season.

but that also raises the question of whether doc's move is really a "choice" or a fait accompli owing to a lack of what he sees are viable alternatives for the front line.

if kmart is brought aboard and plays defense very well he might earn minutes and be able to pair up with bass or wilcox, moving green to the sf position. not crazy about the scoring there, but defensively it is an upgrade i think.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »

Offline SPFLD-Hoop

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Darko is millionaire, he could just move his mom HERE in the good old USA...safer, better medical care......Why wouldn't doc play him..don't we ask this EVERY year about  doc and a few of the obvious players who contribute that doc won't play....!!!

Well, maybe his mom has other relative and friends other than Darko and wants to spend the end (if that's what we are talking about here) at her home.

speculation at best.....but the issue is why didn't doc play him.

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Greg Oden or bust!!!!

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Darko is millionaire, he could just move his mom HERE in the good old USA...safer, better medical care......Why wouldn't doc play him..don't we ask this EVERY year about  doc and a few of the obvious players who contribute that doc won't play....!!!

Well, maybe his mom has other relative and friends other than Darko and wants to spend the end (if that's what we are talking about here) at her home.

speculation at best.....but the issue is why didn't doc play him.
Doc said that it was apparent that Darko's worries about his mom and family matters were effecting his play. The preseason was weeks ago and all we saw as spectators were some spot minutes where Darko looked good against pros trying to get back into NBA shape and scrubs playing for a job.

Since then only Doc can say for sure how well he has played because he is the one that has seen him in practice. I don't know how many years I have to keep saying this on this site:

YOU EARN PLAYING TIME IN PRACTICE, IN SHOOT AROUNDS, IN THE WORKOUT ROOM, IN THE VIDEO ROOM AND IN SHOWING THE COACH YOU ARE DOING WHAT HE WANTS YOU TO DO WHEN YOU GET ON THE COURT.

If Darko's workout schedule suddenly wasn't as stringent, if he wasn't staying late doing video room work, if he was faltering in practice, none of us are going to know that.

Sullinger has been getting steady minutes all year. Doc's biggest detractors say Doc doesn't play rookies, he plays vets. Then why is he playing Sully and not Collins or Darko.

Now Doc's detractors are saying its his love of small ball.

People just don't get it. Doc plays the players playing their best in practice and uses them accordingly. If those best players make a small ball team that's what he plays. If those players are bigger and dominant rebounders(2008,2009,2010), then he plays a different style. If his players are older he will run less. If they are younger, he will run more.

BTW, if I was making millions in Bosnia or Israel or India and my mom got sick, there is zero chance of me convincing her to move away from her home town and home country and home language to live with me overseas and possibly die away from all her family and friends. Never happening.