Author Topic: Darko leaning towards leaving the C's. (Update Darko Waived)  (Read 9736 times)

Re: Darko leaning towards leaving the C's.
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Doesn't surprise me at all. Even if he has underwhelmed in his career, he is good enough for 5-10 minutes per. I'd want to leave too if I were him.
One can only hope Fab Melo doesn't have this attitude.
I see where he's coming from.
Obviously you don't because he is leaving for personal reasons and to be with family not because of a lack of playing time.

I mean, that's an obvious thing for him to consider, and I haven't ignored it. I'm just talking about PT here.

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
If Danny doesn't add a real legit big man (6'10 +) capable of giving the team at least 15 solid mins of defense and rebounding every night ,there's no chance we are beating the Heat .
if the c's can add one of the tier 1 players without totally depleting our depth they would be legit title contenders

but maybe a tier 2 real solid defender/low post player could put us over the top too (okafor)?

tier 1
Josh Smith
Varajeo
Millsap

tier 2
David Lee
Emeka Okafor
Big Al
Chris Kaman
Robin Lopez
Kris Andersen

tier 3
Joel Pryzbilla
Arron Gray

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I just hope he agrees to an affordable buyout - I'd be very happy to replace him with K-Mart or Birdman.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I just hope he agrees to an affordable buyout - I'd be very happy to replace him with K-Mart or Birdman.
Yeah. Collins can be our post defender.

Though I was really hoping he could work his way to taking our backup C minutes.

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 03:27:39 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If Danny doesn't add a real legit big man (6'10 +) capable of giving the team at least 15 solid mins of defense and rebounding every night ,there's no chance we are beating the Heat .
if the c's can add one of the tier 1 players without totally depleting our depth they would be legit title contenders

but maybe a tier 2 real solid defender/low post player could put us over the top too (okafor)?

Tier Better Than Any of Them:

Marcin Gortat

tier 1
Josh Smith
Varajeo
Millsap

tier 2
David Lee
Emeka Okafor
Big Al
Chris Kaman
Robin Lopez
Kris Andersen

tier 3
Joel Pryzbilla
Arron Gray
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Cmon its a cover story. He is leaving cause he has no role on this team. How can we be getting murdered on the boards every night and still Doc wont play Darko.

It should be Darko and Wilcox spliting the minutes at Center and Kg/Bass at power forward. The problem is Doc loves small ball.

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
DArko leaving is just THAT much more incentive to aquire Gortat.

I think this team is gonna have to trade pieces 1-3 times this year if DA is thinking on besting the HEAT , SPURS and LAKERS.

Ronda + Bradley + Gortat + Sully and KG would be a monster sized team to cover LAKERS.....

BRADLEY wilL DESTROY STEVE NASH....he is 6 times faster and 20 years younger.

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'd rather pay K-Mart the veteran's minimum than trade our forthcoming core for Gortat.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Cmon its a cover story. He is leaving cause he has no role on this team. How can we be getting murdered on the boards every night and still Doc wont play Darko.

It should be Darko and Wilcox spliting the minutes at Center and Kg/Bass at power forward. The problem is Doc loves small ball.

Darko and Wilcox, while better rebounders than Bass, aren't really good rebounders.

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 06:12:49 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I'd rather pay K-Mart the veteran's minimum than trade our forthcoming core for Gortat.

Agree with this.  We're finally getting back to a point where we have some young players who aren't scrubs.  If I'm going to give them up, I'd much rather it not be for a player whose skillset can be approximated by a current free agent who would play for peanuts.

There's no question that Gortat is a better player than Martin.  But what do we need?  Rebounding?  Martin can do that when challenged (see '09-'10 season).  Defense?  Martin isn't as much of a shotblocker as Gortat, but aside from that he's just as good or better.  Finishing?  Both are very good.  Bricking free throws?  Both among the best. 

Kenyon will cost nothing but the vet minimum.  Gortat will likely cost Bradley and/or Sully, as well as the $7.5 million (off the top of my head, might be wrong) per year that he makes.  Given those two options, I take KMart every time.

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 06:20:40 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If Darko does in fact leave, are there any salary cap issues with just signing Kmart to a min contract? 

If there isn't any hangup for that, why don't we sign kmart?  We can see how good of shape he is in and how well he blends with the team.  If it seems he isn't going to be a fit then package him with the other pieces to go after Gortat.  The suns could just waive Kmart if they don't want him correct?

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 06:35:23 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
PLAY HIM DOC

In garbage minutes.

Jeez.

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 06:37:39 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Agree with this.  We're finally getting back to a point where we have some young players who aren't scrubs.  If I'm going to give them up, I'd much rather it not be for a player whose skillset can be approximated by a current free agent who would play for peanuts.

There's no question that Gortat is a better player than Martin.  But what do we need?  Rebounding?  Martin can do that when challenged (see '09-'10 season).  Defense?  Martin isn't as much of a shotblocker as Gortat, but aside from that he's just as good or better.  Finishing?  Both are very good.  Bricking free throws?  Both among the best. 

Kenyon will cost nothing but the vet minimum.  Gortat will likely cost Bradley and/or Sully, as well as the $7.5 million (off the top of my head, might be wrong) per year that he makes.  Given those two options, I take KMart every time.

KMart isn't a center, it's pretty apparent to me the c's need another legit 7 ft who can control the paint and dominate the Heat down low. Memphis did that earlier this year with Randolph and Gasol, but the c's would be even more versatile because KG is an elite outside shooter and can go down low against Miami.

I like Bradley a lot , but I think you have to do this deal if you are the c's . C's are in a win now mode and to me a top 10 center and an inside force like Gortat is a bigger need. You have to keep Lee though(I doubt Pho would be interested in Lee anyways)to have a defender for Wade and Ray.

So like others have mentioned the trade that makes the most sense is Bass ,Bradley and Melo ,maybe 1st rd pick. A third team might have to get involved giving up an expiring contract going to Phoenix with the 3rd team acquiring Bass .

pg: Rondo     /  Terry
SG: Lee       / Barbosa
SF: PP        / Green
PF: KG        / Sully
 C: Gortat    / Wilcox

I love that front court size and toughness and balance throughout the roster. Add a sharpshooter like anthony Morrow or someone similar in a small trade and we are good to go

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 06:43:09 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Thank you.  Darko leaving for his sick mom seems awefully similar to Royce White leaving because his lack of playing time causes anxiety.

I want to see Darko play for the Celts, but face it- Darko is a quitter and always will be.  This isn't very surprising, as it has happened several times in his career already.  Even if he were getting major minutes and contributing now, his past history says it's just a matter of time before he throws in the towel.

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 06:51:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
What happened to "If they need me to kill someone out there, I will kill someone." 

I guess that coupon expired at the end of October.