Author Topic: Boston Very Interested in Gortat  (Read 40872 times)

Re: Boston Very Interested in Gortat
« Reply #225 on: November 23, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
Haha people are saying don't trade our future star Bradley. That's funny. I'm assuming Sully is another future star that is untouchable.

Man this just reminds me of the KG Jefferson trade. So funny

Who is saying bradley is a star? Only people against bradley are giving him that label. We simply don't wanna give him up especially since im [dang] near positive there is a way to get gortat without doing so. You people act like bradley is a nobody and then turnaround and act like the suns will demand him for gortat. If hes such a nobody then im sure we can keep him without the suns demanding him.

« Reply #226 on: November 23, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
no one has said that Bradley is a star...but the stats suggest our defense went to otherworldly levels when Bradley was moved to the starting lineup.

for a team who thus far has been poor with dribble penetration and defense as a whole (with 4/5 of the starting lineup the same)

I think fans recognize what sort of impact bradley can have on the defensive end.

« Reply #227 on: November 23, 2012, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
no one has said that Bradley is a star...but the stats suggest our defense went to otherworldly levels when Bradley was moved to the starting lineup.

for a team who thus far has been poor with dribble penetration and defense as a whole (with 4/5 of the starting lineup the same)

I think fans recognize what sort of impact bradley can have on the defensive end.

Gortat can have just as much effect on defense.
Plus he can roll with the bigs. And it frees up
KG.

« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The thing about trading for Gortat is that there's no good reason for Boston's defense to be as bad as it has been.  Plenty of teams have new personnel.  Plenty of teams are missing players.  Neither of those excuse Boston's defensive problems.  If the problem isn't the players but the defensive scheme itself, throwing a 7 footer into the mix won't solve anything.

Mike

« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2012, 08:02:54 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I need someone better than Gortat to part with Bradley at this point in time.

Such as?
Someone who is an All-Star caliber player or close to it. Like Josh Smith.

Gortat is an above average starter but not a high level starter (top ten player at respective position).

1)Howard
2)Chandler
3)KG
4)Roy Hibbert
5)Demarcus Cousins
6)Brooke Lopez
7)Bynum(when Healthy)
8)Andrew Bogut(when healthy)not even sure bout that one
9)Big Al
10)Marc Gasol

Gortat would be next IMO so if we cross out Bynum and Bogut because of injuries Gortat is in the top 10.
Except you forgot Nene, Chris Bosh, Anderson Varaejo, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, ....

I'll stop there as thats clearly enough to push Gortat well outside the top ten.
That list isn't accurate.  Noah and Varejao are highly questionable (Gortat is slightly worse defensively and much better offensively), and I'd say he's pretty clearly ahead of guys like Hibbert and Jefferson.

1. Howard
----
2. Chandler
3. KG
4. Horford
5. Gasol
----
6. Bosh
7. Nene
8. Cousins

Those are the only guys that I'd say are clearly better.  Although it's worth noting that 4/8 of them are PFs playing C.  Gortat is a dying breed, and really a rare talent these days.

I'd put Gortat on that 4th tier fighting with but most likely ahead of Varejao, Noah, and Lopez.  Saying he's "WELL outside the top ten" is hardly true.  Bynum and Bogut could both make the 2nd tier but they're never healthy.

Edit:  If he had the help of Boston/Rondo I think he'd rise up the list fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 08:21:40 AM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2012, 08:13:21 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Haha people are saying don't trade our future star Bradley. That's funny. I'm assuming Sully is another future star that is untouchable.

Comparing Marcin Gortat to KG is ridiculous.  Gortat is a decent center, nothing more.

Giving up AB and Sully to get him would be a steal for PHX.

« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2012, 08:31:05 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Such as?

Gortat is an above average starter but not a high level starter (top ten player at respective position).

1)Howard
2)Chandler
3)KG
4)Roy Hibbert
5)Demarcus Cousins
6)Brooke Lopez
7)Bynum(when Healthy)
9)Big Al
10)Marc Gasol

Gortat would be next IMO so if we cross out Bynum and Bogut because of injuries Gortat is in the top 10.
Except you forgot Nene, Chris Bosh, Anderson Varaejo, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, ....

I'll stop there as thats clearly enough to push Gortat well outside the top ten.
That list isn't accurate.  Noah and Varejao are highly questionable (Gortat is slightly worse defensively and much better offensively), and I'd say he's pretty clearly ahead of guys like Hibbert and Jefferson.

1. Howard
----
2. Chandler
3. KG
4. Horford
5. Gasol
----
6. Bosh
7. Nene
8. Cousins

Those are the only guys that I'd say are clearly better.  Although it's worth noting that 4/8 of them are PFs playing C.  Gortat is a dying breed, and really a rare talent these days.

I'd put Gortat on that 4th tier fighting with but most likely ahead of Varejao, Noah, and Lopez.  Saying he's "WELL outside the top ten" is hardly true.  Bynum and Bogut could both make the 2nd tier but they're never healthy.

Edit:  If he had the help of Boston/Rondo I think he'd rise up the list fairly quickly.

All I can gather from this is that you overrate Gortat in a big big way.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2012, 08:37:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Gortat can have just as much effect on defense.
Plus he can roll with the bigs. And it frees up
KG.

Gotta give you a TP for this one. Sure Bradley can hound whatever guard he picks up. But our biggest weaknesses on defense (other than chemistry and figuring rotations at the moment) are pick and roll defense, defensive rebounding, and protecting the rim/paint. Gortat fixing those needs in a huge way. The celtics have been a terrible pick and roll defending teams, having gortat being able to defend the pick and roll with KG behind him commanding the D would indeed be just as effective.

« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Such as?

1)Howard
2)Chandler
3)KG
4)Roy Hibbert
5)Demarcus Cousins
6)Brooke Lopez
7)Bynum(when Healthy)
9)Big Al
10)Marc Gasol

1. Howard
----
2. Chandler
3. KG
4. Horford
5. Gasol
----
6. Bosh
7. Nene
8. Cousins

All I can gather from this is that you overrate Gortat in a big big way.
What did I say that makes you think that?  I never even said anything about his play.  If anything I'm saying that the league is weak at center right now.  There's plenty of talent, but guys like Jefferson, Lopez, Bargnani don't bring as much to their team just because they can score at will.

The most important ability for centers is to be able to help everybody in the paint on defense and limit the pick and roll.  They also need to be able to control the boards.  In addition to these things Gortat can block lots of shots and is an excellent man to man defender. 

He's one of maybe 10 guys who can do all those things, and half of them are liabilities on offense.  Gortat on the other hand is a very efficient pick and roll guy that shoots 56% every year and can spread out the defense.  He also can't get picked on by bigger guys like a lot of the smaller PF/Cs who aren't true centers. 

He's not elite at any one thing nor is he an all-star talent, but he does a lot of things very well.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2012, 12:18:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Phoenix under the cap, hence not limited to the 125% restriction? As long as the trade doesn't put them over the cap, I think we should be good to go. I think they have about a 1 million wiggle room, so probably we need to get around 6 million worth on contracts.

Can someone confirm?

Also, is Pietrus sign-and-trade a possible play?

« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
The thing about trading for Gortat is that there's no good reason for Boston's defense to be as bad as it has been.  Plenty of teams have new personnel.  Plenty of teams are missing players.  Neither of those excuse Boston's defensive problems.  If the problem isn't the players but the defensive scheme itself, throwing a 7 footer into the mix won't solve anything.

Mike

This.

Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Phoenix under the cap, hence not limited to the 125% restriction? As long as the trade doesn't put them over the cap, I think we should be good to go. I think they have about a 1 million wiggle room, so probably we need to get around 6 million worth on contracts.

Can someone confirm?

Suns have over six million worth in cap space. Not sure that really helps us bc we have to ship out enough to bring in gortat. But maybe shipping out more money would really help in us safely using the bae to sign a guy like pietrus. Bass, lee, and fab for gortat.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Can someone confirm?

Suns have over six million worth in cap space. Not sure that really helps us bc we have to ship out enough to bring in gortat. But maybe shipping out more money would really help in us safely using the bae to sign a guy like pietrus. Bass, lee, and fab for gortat.

Again, when a team is under the cap, they're not limited to those restraints, which is why I was asking, this is how "trade exceptions" get created.

Or am I missing something?

« Reply #238 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Can someone confirm?

Again, when a team is under the cap, they're not limited to those restraints, which is why I was asking, this is how "trade exceptions" get created.

Or am I missing something?

I was just saying that we were still under the restraint. That's all.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Comparing Marcin Gortat to KG is ridiculous.  Gortat is a decent center, nothing more.

Giving up AB and Sully to get him would be a steal for PHX.

I agree that Bradley is treated like the golden child. Fans tend to cling to guys that have worked their way up and 'struggled' like a rose that grows from the concrete especially since he was drafted here and we've watched him grow.

I do think giving up both Sully and Bradley for Gortat is probably too much.
I think Gortat is much more than a defensive center.
He's durable, has very solid hands and can finish at and around the rim via lobs, put backs and some post moves.

I think Kendrick Perkins is what you call a defensive center. Gortat is one of about 7-8 humans on earth that are that tall, big and strong that have athleticism and can put the ball in the hole and guard the paint reasonably well. I remember when he backed up Dwight in Orlando and did a very good job on both ends, if he ran the pick n roll with Rondo we could get something good from him.

Gortat is like a 1 in a billion type of human. Lebron is 1 in 6 billion type of human.

Avery Bradley? I don't think he's as rare as Gortat.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.