Author Topic: Boston Very Interested in Gortat  (Read 40871 times)

Re: Boston Very Interested in Gortat
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
gortat is a joke and is not the answer for a championship. gortat will not win you a championship, or even help you.

Care to explain? guys a walking Double double and blocks shots.

I'm not in love with him enough to give up AB, but if it was like Sully and pieces?

in a heart beat.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
gortat is a joke and is not the answer for a championship. gortat will not win you a championship, or even help you.

I'm not in love with him enough to give up AB, but if it was like Sully and pieces?

in a heart beat.

I don't see why Pheonix would take anyone but Bradley in a deal. They could have just drafted Sullinger if they wanted him. Now they are going to trade a top 10 center for him ? Bradley has to be involved for it to make any sense for Pheonix. They aren't taking Jeff Green's contracts so it's most likely Bass,Bradley ,Melo and maybe a 1st

Leaves us with

PG: Rondo   / Terry
SG: Lee     / Barbosa
SF: PP      / Green
PF: KG      / Sully
 C: Gortat  / Wilcox

* Sign Birdman or Kenyon Martin for insurance

It's a hard call, but I think I would do it , makes the c's a lot more balanced a refines roles while adding a huge post presence we have been missing for the last few years. You saw what Rondo was doing with a crippled Shaq a few years ago, just imagine what he can do with a super mobile big man who thrives in the pick and roll. 

« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2012, 03:48:19 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
uh we won a championship with perk (not to pick on him)
gortant>perk

« Reply #168 on: November 20, 2012, 04:00:22 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

in a heart beat.

I don't see why Pheonix would take anyone but Bradley in a deal. They could have just drafted Sullinger if they wanted him. Now they are going to trade a top 10 center for him ? Bradley has to be involved for it to make any sense for Pheonix. They aren't taking Jeff Green's contracts so it's most likely Bass,Bradley ,Melo and maybe a 1st

Leaves us with

It's a hard call, but I think I would do it , makes the c's a lot more balanced a refines roles while adding a huge post presence we have been missing for the last few years. You saw what Rondo was doing with a crippled Shaq a few years ago, just imagine what he can do with a super mobile big man who thrives in the pick and roll.
I don't really like it thinking about it now, but if we continue to struggle I'll probably warm up to it
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #169 on: November 20, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

in a heart beat.

Leaves us with

Well, Gortat has come out and said he hates it there recently. Not sure he had come that close to flay out demanding a trade pre-draft.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Asian or no, when was the last time an athlete who wasn't the best at what he did got that type of hype??

Lin was on the cover of Time. When Avery was shining he was playing elite D and getting that block on Wade, hitting 3's.

Lin embarrassed Kobe and Dwill. He dropped 38 on Kobe. Even if he weren't Asian, his story would prompt someone to overpay.

He also did it on the Knicks, which is the biggest stage in basketball.  It was a perfect hype storm.

But I just am not sure how this is any way relevant to Avery Bradley's trade value.  In addition to the marketing angle, Lin also was not traded, he was signed as a free agent, and his massive contract had as much to do with his restricted status, than his actual value...oh yeah, and he didn't just have surgery on both shoulders.

They just are not comparable situations.

Because I wasn't talking about trade value. I was only talking about whether some gm was willing to take a chance on him, arguing that there are other guys (I just chose Lin as one of many) that gms have taken chances on that are equally as unknown and equally as risky (or injury prone). I don't think Lin is at all far off from a good comparison in those regards. Thank you.

I am missing the point then.  Did anyone suggest that no GM would take a chance on Bradley?  This thread is about trading Bradley for a valuable player, not taking a chance on a guy.

I guess you are missing the point b/c first, this thread is not about Bradley and second, I only brought up that point to the guy with questions about a gm taking a chance on AB at this time. Now, I'm not going to reply to you again b/c I can see you didn't actually read what we were talking about. Thank you.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Not sure if I buy the rumor, but I do wonder how a combo of KG and Gortat would work. Or how KG would play offensively against another big who works best in pick and roll situations.

My guess is that since both players have decent to great range, and the fact that Garnett is such a brilliant interior passer that itd end up working quite well.
Offensively it would work great, as KG is very comfortable playing on the perimeter.

Defensively is my worry about the hypothetical combo.

What are you worried about defensively?

« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Not sure if I buy the rumor, but I do wonder how a combo of KG and Gortat would work. Or how KG would play offensively against another big who works best in pick and roll situations.

My guess is that since both players have decent to great range, and the fact that Garnett is such a brilliant interior passer that itd end up working quite well.
Offensively it would work great, as KG is very comfortable playing on the perimeter.

KG being forced to cover PFs more frequently and the C's losing the quickness they've had in the lineup with KG at C.

The rebounding alone would probably make up for any loss there, (except maybe against Miami/New York with LeBron/Melo at the PF spot) but its a concern I'd have till I saw the line up work.

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

KG being forced to cover PFs more frequently and the C's losing the quickness they've had in the lineup with KG at C.

The rebounding alone would probably make up for any loss there, (except maybe against Miami/New York with LeBron/Melo at the PF spot) but its a concern I'd have till I saw the line up work.

I agree, I think KG has the ability to turn it on defensively in man to man situations for short stints but can't do it for a whole game anymore.  I remember a few years ago back in the playoffs against the Knicks there was one game down the stretch where KG just absolutely took Amare out of the game.  He wouldnt even let him touch the ball for like a 3 minute span.

KG against Centers now makes him not have to work as hard on possession by possession basis which makes him more effective on the whole.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I don't see why so many people want to trade Avery Bradley for anyone.  When he was healthy and starting last year, we had the best team in the NBA, maybe excluding Miami.

I will be furious if we trade him for a backup center.

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I don't see why so many people want to trade Avery Bradley for anyone.  When he was healthy and starting last year, we had the best team in the NBA, maybe excluding Miami.

Gortat isnt a backup center anymore but other than that I agree with you.

I remember a game early in the season I went to against the bulls, Avery wasnt starting but saw some minutes and there were 4 straight posessions where he forced Rose to pass the ball and become un-invovled in the offense.  It was a thing of beauty.  I was freaking out in the stands and nobody else seemed to think it was all that special haha
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2012, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
A lineup of -

KG / Gortat
Bass / Wilcox

Would be pretty nice, but I don't what package would get us Gortat.

I know two things though:

1. I'd trade Sully before I'd trade Bradley, especially since we'd be getting a starting Center back and could also then slide KG to PF in spurts

2. I'd really rather just keep BOTH Sully and Bradley.

Would something along the lines of Bass, Lee and a 1st round pick get the job done? I don't think so...Maybe throw in Melo? I'd say Jeff Green but I don't think his value right now is worth his contract and we really need him behind Pierce, whether he's playing great or not, given Pierce's age...
But -

KG / Gortat / Collins / Melo
Sully / Wilcox / Kenyon Martin?
Pierce / Green / Pietrus?
Bradley / Jet / Joseph
Rondo / Barbosa

Gortat
KG
Pierce
Bradley
Rondo

Ouch...

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Gortat isnt a backup center anymore but other than that I agree with you.

I remember a game early in the season I went to against the bulls, Avery wasnt starting but saw some minutes and there were 4 straight posessions where he forced Rose to pass the ball and become un-invovled in the offense.  It was a thing of beauty.  I was freaking out in the stands and nobody else seemed to think it was all that special haha

Most people don't understand the little things and don't really care too though. I am not talking about most people on this blog either. Just most people in general. I am sure if you were sitting around a lot of other celtic bloggers that you would not have been alone in your freaking out.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Agreed on Bradley. Bradley - like KG, Pierce and Rondo - is an "impact" player. He can significantly change games with a single skill and he brings that single elite skill every time he steps on the court, it is not inconsistent.

KG's elite skill (s): Defense - also all around game in his prime
Pierce: Scoring - also all around game
Rondo: Passing / play making - alla round game

Bradley: On ball defense, overall defense, intensity that is infectious. His all around game is coming as well.

I wouldn't trade Bradley unless I was getting a game changing player in return.

Sully, at this point you can see that he will be a solid player in the NBA for a long time but I can't yet tell if he will develop an elite skill. Maybe he can with rebounding or scoring - but I'm not convinced yet.   

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2012, 12:08:57 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Agreed on Bradley. Bradley - like KG, Pierce and Rondo - is an "impact" player. He can significantly change games with a single skill and he brings that single elite skill every time he steps on the court, it is not inconsistent.

KG's elite skill (s): Defense - also all around game in his prime
Pierce: Scoring - also all around game
Rondo: Passing / play making - alla round game

Bradley: On ball defense, overall defense, intensity that is infectious. His all around game is coming as well.

I wouldn't trade Bradley unless I was getting a game changing player in return.

Sully, at this point you can see that he will be a solid player in the NBA for a long time but I can't yet tell if he will develop an elite skill. Maybe he can with rebounding or scoring - but I'm not convinced yet.

In a series against Miami I wonder who would provide a bigger impact though - Bradley or Gortat?

Against LA I think it's obviously Gortat.

That being said I think Boston would be wise to wait on a trade. See if the Lakers do move Gasol. See what Miami does. See how Amare returns. After that then you make a move to best match up with the other Big Dogs in the league.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14