Author Topic: Boston Very Interested in Gortat  (Read 40862 times)

Re: Boston Very Interested in Gortat
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
- A deal for Gortat would require $7M of outgoing salary.

- The Suns, as others have pointed out, are a rebuilding team. They have no use right now for players like Bass, Lee, Green, or Terry.

- Ideally, the suns would want picks, rookies with potential, or good, cost controlled young players. They would ask us for Bradley, Sullinger, and Melo.

- The Suns would only take a veteran if he was a star or if he was an expiring contract. We have no expiring contracts and we're not trading Rondo.

A lot of us hope that Rondo, Sullinger, and Bradley will be part of this team's nucleus going forward. You will have to sacrifice that to get Gortat, because Bradley and Sullinger are the obvious assets for them. Phoenix really has no reason to talk to us otherwise.

TP..couldn't of said it better. End thread lol
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think Phoenix should be interested in bring back players without star potential signed to long-term deals.  I'm not sure about some of those suggested deals from the article, but I think a realistic offer for him would be Dallas offering Chris Kaman (once he is eligible to be traded) plus some combination of Rodrigue Beaubois, Dominique Jones, Jae Crowder, Jared Cunningham, or draft picks, with perhaps some additional swapping of personnel to manage roster spots.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Other trade ideas proposed in the article.

2)
2. Milwaukee Bucks | Gortat and Kendall Marshall for Tobias Harris, John Henson and Drew Gooden

3)
3. Oklahoma City Thunder | Gortat for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb and a first-round pick in 2013

4)
4. Portland Trail Blazers | Gortat for Meyers Leonard, J.J. Hickson and a first-round pick in 2013 (no lottery protection)

5)
5. New Orleans Hornets | Gortat for Austin Rivers and Al-Farouq Aminu

Looking at the other proposed/suggested trades, I don't think the C's have much of a chance.

I think New Orleans' offer is head and shoulders above the others. Then Portland after that.  Milwaekee/OKC/Boston could probably be argued in any order after that.

I know we all love Avery Bradley here, but Jeremy Lamb probably has more value across the league than Avery Bradley.  I don't think a lot of GM's are as hopeful about the development of a defensive minded, but very undersized 2 guard coming off double shoulder surgery as most of us are.

Why would NO do that? They have Davis, Anderson, and Lopez already.

My thoughts exactly. I actually had the exact opposite reaction and think the celts have the best offer out of any of those options.

« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
austin rivers =fail   ,  I'd rather have a one legg jeff green

« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2012, 05:52:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I've seen lots of good ideas and thoughts here on this, and I'll just add my two cents:

Boston teams of the KG era have been built on defense, and I think it would be wise to continue in this vein. Also, Boston needs to improve in the rebounding department. In light of these two elements, it seems to me that 1) trading Bradley AND Lee is a bad idea; we need to keep at least one of them; 2) acquiring a rebounder/post presence of Gortat's caliber, if given the opportunity, should be given serious consideration; and 3) Boston should hang onto someone it already has who has such promise as a rebounder (Sullinger).

I like our current team, including Green and Bass, but if this team is serious about winning NOW, it should use its surplus (guards and undersized forwards) to address what it still needs (legit bigs and rebounders), so if Danny can turn AB (or Lee), Bass (or Green), Melo, and a first into Gortat and filler, he should do it.

This would leave Boston with a legit frontcourt rotation of KG, Gortat, Wilcox, and Sully, plus a solid backcourt of Rondo, Terry, Barbosa, and Bradley (or Lee). The only possible downside is not having a legit 3 to back up Pierce, but maybe Lee could play some there (if he's not traded), or that need could be addressed another way.

I just don't think smallball is going to work, and that the best chance of beating Miami (and the Western champ) is being big and bruising inside. Rondo can handle Chalmers, sic Bradley (or Lee) on Wade, Pierce defends LeBron as well as anybody, and follow a strategy of being tough and athletic in the paint with KG, Gortat, Wilcox, and Sully.

This also sets up Boston well going forward, with Rondo at point, AB or Lee at the 2, Gortat at center, and Sully at the 4. That's a solid young nucleus to build around.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I am on board with what action describes.  I don't want to give up both AB and Lee.  We are just giving up too much perimeter D.

I would hate to see AB go as well, but if we think we can keep Gortat in boston for the duration of KG and PP's contracts then I think it is a no brainer.  It fixes probably the biggest issues we have with the team.  It really makes us a legitimate contender instead of a fringe contender which is what I see us as right now.

I am all for it, but I don't see why Phoenix does this for a pair of SGs.

Green, AB and Melo for Gortat and Dudley does work later in the season.

I love AB more than most, but I'd still be all over a trade centered around him for Gortat.

This trade above would improve our team a ton I think.

I'm not about trading Lee + AB; I think we need one of them to defend Wade.  Both of them have shown a solid-excellent ability to in my eyes.  I know its early, but I have no problem trading away Green because he has shown absolutely no ability to defend Wade or Lebron yet in the past few times he's had the chance to.  Maybe he'll be able to eventually, but our championship clock is ticking.  I think this trade and getting owned in the regular season by bigger teams like LAC, memphis, lakers would eventually force miami to abandon small ball as their primary strategy.

« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2012, 06:03:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'd trade any of the role players for Gortat. He's maybe the 10th best center in the NBA. A top 10 center doesn't become available all that often. He can also board and block shots.

« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I dont really want a trade but I will say this....

I really like Gortat and I would only be okay with this:

Sully and Clee (Melo and picks or w/e scraps)

OR

Sully and Green (but why would PHX even consider G8 when they don't want to pay Gortat)

I don't want to give up AB so I'm not entertaining that thought! NEXT!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
I dont really want a trade but I will say this....

I really like Gortat and I would only be okay with this:

Sully and Clee (Melo and picks or w/e scraps)

OR

Sully and Green (but why would PHX even consider G8 when they don't want to pay Gortat)

I don't want to give up AB so I'm not entertaining that thought! NEXT!!

I love you

« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2012, 06:27:53 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Other trade ideas proposed in the article.

2)
2. Milwaukee Bucks | Gortat and Kendall Marshall for Tobias Harris, John Henson and Drew Gooden

3)
3. Oklahoma City Thunder | Gortat for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb and a first-round pick in 2013

4)
4. Portland Trail Blazers | Gortat for Meyers Leonard, J.J. Hickson and a first-round pick in 2013 (no lottery protection)

5)
5. New Orleans Hornets | Gortat for Austin Rivers and Al-Farouq Aminu

Looking at the other proposed/suggested trades, I don't think the C's have much of a chance.

I think New Orleans' offer is head and shoulders above the others. Then Portland after that.  Milwaekee/OKC/Boston could probably be argued in any order after that.

I know we all love Avery Bradley here, but Jeremy Lamb probably has more value across the league than Avery Bradley.  I don't think a lot of GM's are as hopeful about the development of a defensive minded, but very undersized 2 guard coming off double shoulder surgery as most of us are.

Why would NO do that? They have Davis, Anderson, and Lopez already.

My thoughts exactly. I actually had the exact opposite reaction and think the celts have the best offer out of any of those options.

Plus, NO isn't running after short-time success. Why give up on Aminu, an athletic freak who can turn into a multiple category stat producer in a couple of seasons, and a lottery pick in Rivers, a player people expect good things from?
Suns would definitely jump to that offer, though. Combining Dragic, the passer, with Rivers, (supposedly) volume scorer, would make sense.

« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm laughing at those saying they wouldn't trade Avery Bradley for gortat. We can't do Bradley and Lee, we need one to guard elite SG's in the playoffs.... but they'd take Bradley, melon and a 2nd round pick I think.
Get gortat here now.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:15 PM »

fitzhickey

Don't want to get rid of Bradley, but Lee, Bass/Green, Melo and a pick for Gortat and some scrub, Hell yeah

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:25 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think Bradley, Melo and an expiring contract would do it.  Too bad we don't have an expiring contract.

Though Bass could be moved for an expiring and a low-level asset easily enough.  To Cleveland for Walton and Casspi (we keep Casspi).  To Atlanta for Petro, Stevenson and a 2nd rounder (they get Petro, we keep Stevenson for wing depth).

Gortat would be a wonderful addition to this team - love his pick and roll game offensively (a very nice fit with Rondo on point and shooters like Pierce, Terry and KG), his offensive rebounding and his size, length and mobility defensively.   I think he'd function as a rich man's Chris Wilcox with our group.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'd trade any of the role players for Gortat. He's maybe the 10th best center in the NBA. A top 10 center doesn't become available all that often. He can also board and block shots.

I think you are under-rating him.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2012, 07:54:13 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

I like the polish hammer, but I'm not trading our best defensive SG and another defensive backup for a rotation caliber big man.

Now, if it was Lee and someone....mabey

I hate to give up Bradley too, but Gortat is VERY good.  His scoring numbers are down a bit this year, but that is largely because he is a pick and roll big man, and his PG is gone.  Put him with Rondo, and he would be a monster in the East.

Are you comfortable with Jason Terry as your starting 2 defensivly, with Barbosa as his backup?

If you got Gortat that pushes many of KG's minutes to pf, pushing most (if not all) of Green's minutes to sf, giving a fair amount of sg minutes to Pierce.

I'm not real comfrotabel at the moment with any of those three things happening.

1. I'm not convinced KG can cover/ exploit other PF's anymore. HE looked pretty cooked last year prior to going up against C's and defending them on the other end allowing him to play everyone in the paint, if this trade went through I'd rather Gortat play the 4 and P & R them to death with Rondo.

2. I'm very doubtful Pierce can play the 2 defensivly for long stretches.

3. Unless he shows marked improvement, I don't want JG playing alot more minutes, or becoming a starter to move Pierce to the 2.

If this trade did go down, I think I'd rather sign MP back and let him play the 2.

I don't know what works with cap and all but giving up Bradley seems very short sighted. Id throw Lee and Sullinger in and Id feel bad about about that too but I expect Avery to become great and Sullinger, not so much. Gortat will be very good with KG