Author Topic: Boston Very Interested in Gortat  (Read 40865 times)

Re: Boston Very Interested in Gortat
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 12:47:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Would you be willing to trade Sullinger instead of Bradley?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Gortat is a beast he gets like 3 blocks a game and he gives us rebounding lets get him!

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
thats a much better win now trade for the cs

No clue if suns would do either.

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I like the polish hammer, but I'm not trading our best defensive SG and another defensive backup for a rotation caliber big man.

Now, if it was Lee and someone....mabey

I hate to give up Bradley too, but Gortat is VERY good.  His scoring numbers are down a bit this year, but that is largely because he is a pick and roll big man, and his PG is gone.  Put him with Rondo, and he would be a monster in the East.

Are you comfortable with Jason Terry as your starting 2 defensivly, with Barbosa as his backup?

If you got Gortat that pushes many of KG's minutes to pf, pushing most (if not all) of Green's minutes to sf, giving a fair amount of sg minutes to Pierce.

I'm not real comfrotabel at the moment with any of those three things happening.

1. I'm not convinced KG can cover/ exploit other PF's anymore. HE looked pretty cooked last year prior to going up against C's and defending them on the other end allowing him to play everyone in the paint, if this trade went through I'd rather Gortat play the 4 and P & R them to death with Rondo.

2. I'm very doubtful Pierce can play the 2 defensivly for long stretches.

3. Unless he shows marked improvement, I don't want JG playing alot more minutes, or becoming a starter to move Pierce to the 2.

If this trade did go down, I think I'd rather sign MP back and let him play the 2.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Absolutly, I love Sully but I'd take Gortat over him on this team.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 12:55:27 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
What about Gortat and Wesley Johnson for Jeff Green and Fab Melo?

That gives Phoenix a young center and small forward in Fab and Jeff, and helps us get bigger up front.

Granted, it dramatically weakens our small forward rotation - but could we move Sullinger over, and run a big front line with Gortat, KG, Sulli, Rondo, Lee when Pierce needs to go to the bench?

(I understand that this line up presents some defensive issues against Miami).

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
For Avery? No Way

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I like Gortat a lot. I also, however, believe him to be considerably overrated.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
What about Gortat and Wesley Johnson for Jeff Green and Fab Melo?

That gives Phoenix a young center and small forward in Fab and Jeff, and helps us get bigger up front.

Granted, it dramatically weakens our small forward rotation - but could we move Sullinger over, and run a big front line with Gortat, KG, Sulli, Rondo, Lee when Pierce needs to go to the bench?

(I understand that this line up presents some defensive issues against Miami).

Or any team with a Good SF. Sully can't defend quick PF's, he would get destroyed.

I would probley just Sign MP if he wants to come back instead of moving sully to the SF.

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 12:59:26 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I like the polish hammer, but I'm not trading our best defensive SG and another defensive backup for a rotation caliber big man.

I hate to give up Bradley too, but Gortat is VERY good.  His scoring numbers are down a bit this year, but that is largely because he is a pick and roll big man, and his PG is gone.  Put him with Rondo, and he would be a monster in the East.

Are you comfortable with Jason Terry as your starting 2 defensivly, with Barbosa as his backup?

I think a deal like this would have to be followed up with another deal, or at least picking up someone on the waiver wire (like Pietrus).

If they did actually trade Lee and Bradley for Gortat (which I personally don't think would get it done, but for arguments sake, I will go with it), then they would have too many big men left over.  So, they could then try to move someone like Bass or even Sullinger for a wing. 

But I also am comfortable with a solution that plays Pierce more at SG, and Green more at SF, as well.

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 01:01:24 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I have concern about AB getting back what he was, and/or last year being a fluke.

I'd rather see AB and Bass OR Lee and Sullinger.

We need to thin out SG and PF.

Then:

KG / Gortat (with some overlap)
Sullinger / Wilcox
Pierce / Green
Lee / Terry
Rondo

That's a solid 9 man rotation. Can even switch Wilcox and Sully.

Alternative:

KG / Gortat
Bass / Wilcox
Pierce / Green
AB / Terry
Rondo

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If you got Gortat that pushes many of KG's minutes to pf, pushing most (if not all) of Green's minutes to sf, giving a fair amount of sg minutes to Pierce.

I'm not real comfrotabel at the moment with any of those three things happening.

1. I'm not convinced KG can cover/ exploit other PF's anymore. HE looked pretty cooked last year prior to going up against C's and defending them on the other end allowing him to play everyone in the paint, if this trade went through I'd rather Gortat play the 4 and P & R them to death with Rondo.

2. I'm very doubtful Pierce can play the 2 defensivly for long stretches.

3. Unless he shows marked improvement, I don't want JG playing alot more minutes, or becoming a starter to move Pierce to the 2.

If this trade did go down, I think I'd rather sign MP back and let him play the 2.

KG would probably play half of his time with Gortat and half without. Which one you consider to be the pf when they play together doesn't really affect what I was saying (about pushing Green out of pf minutes). I think that KG was out of shape when the season began last year, his play against pfs would have improved if he was left there. Paul would get about 15 minutes a game (on average) at sg under my scenario, more if the matchups dictated it. I don't think he'd be a huge defensive liability and he'd be able to shoot over smaller defenders. MP would be a great pickup with the extra roster spot.

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Gortat, yuck.  >:(

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 01:05:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I like Gortat a lot. I also, however, believe him to be considerably overrated.

In general I agree, although he's probably a lot more valuable with Rondo or Nash than in most other situations.

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I won't give both AB and Courtney.

Either one of the two + two more outside of PP, KG, Jet and Rondo and/or a pick would be a go.

I understand that we might be giving up a ton, but he does solve our rebounding and shot blocking problem. It'll be so worth it.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace