Author Topic: Boston Very Interested in Gortat  (Read 40864 times)

Boston Very Interested in Gortat
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Orlando, Dallas, Boston and Chicago are very interested in Marcin Gortat.

http://nba.przegladsportowy.pl/Koszykowka-NBA-Marcin-Gortat-moze-opuscic-Phoenix-Suns,artykul,151832,2,299.html

Saw the above on Hoopshype.

This is from ESPN (Insider)

The Suns' predicament
Before the season started, ESPN's own John Hollinger pegged Phoenix to finish No. 15 in the Western Conference in 2012-13. That's dead last to you and me.

So it doesn't take a team of experts to tell you that this Suns' team simply don't have the look of a contender. Thus, we have to believe the Suns' brass might have to decide whether dealing Gortat, whose value is at an all-time high, could be the only way this team improves.

It's not that simple, though. Gortat is one of the team's best players, he plays a premium position, and he's one of the league's best bargains -- owed $7,258,960 this season and $7,727,280 in 2013-14.

The Suns certainly don't have to trade him, but if they keep him they'll have to do so with the idea that they'll be able to re-sign him to a long-term deal, however expensive it might be. Keep in mind what Roy Hibbert (four-years, $58 million) and JaVale McGee (four-years, $44 million) signed for as restricted free agents this past offseason.

That said, here are five possible trade partners with Phoenix for Gortat:

1. Boston Celtics | Gortat for Avery Bradley and Courtney Lee

No team makes as much sense as Boston, which badly needs a big man to pair with Kevin Garnett in the frontcourt before the window of opportunity closes in the KG/Paul Pierce era. The Celtics have as many tradeable young talents as any playoff-caliber team, and though they've been very reluctant to include young defensive star Avery Bradley in any deal, they may have to in order to coax Gortat out of the Suns. Bradley would be exactly what the Suns are looking for if they have to move Gortat -- a young, hard-working shooting guard who can come in and fill a position of need.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Boston Very Interested in Gortat
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

http://nba.przegladsportowy.pl/Koszykowka-NBA-Marcin-Gortat-moze-opuscic-Phoenix-Suns,artykul,151832,2,299.html

The Suns' predicament
Before the season started, ESPN's own John Hollinger pegged Phoenix to finish No. 15 in the Western Conference in 2012-13. That's dead last to you and me.

So it doesn't take a team of experts to tell you that this Suns' team simply don't have the look of a contender. Thus, we have to believe the Suns' brass might have to decide whether dealing Gortat, whose value is at an all-time high, could be the only way this team improves.

It's not that simple, though. Gortat is one of the team's best players, he plays a premium position, and he's one of the league's best bargains -- owed $7,258,960 this season and $7,727,280 in 2013-14.

The Suns certainly don't have to trade him, but if they keep him they'll have to do so with the idea that they'll be able to re-sign him to a long-term deal, however expensive it might be. Keep in mind what Roy Hibbert (four-years, $58 million) and JaVale McGee (four-years, $44 million) signed for as restricted free agents this past offseason.

No team makes as much sense as Boston, which badly needs a big man to pair with Kevin Garnett in the frontcourt before the window of opportunity closes in the KG/Paul Pierce era. The Celtics have as many tradeable young talents as any playoff-caliber team, and though they've been very reluctant to include young defensive star Avery Bradley in any deal, they may have to in order to coax Gortat out of the Suns. Bradley would be exactly what the Suns are looking for if they have to move Gortat -- a young, hard-working shooting guard who can come in and fill a position of need.

I like the polish hammer, but I'm not trading our best defensive SG and another defensive backup for a rotation caliber big man.

Now, if it was Lee and someone....mabey
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I like the polish hammer, but I'm not trading our best defensive SG and another defensive backup for a rotation caliber big man.

I hate to give up Bradley too, but Gortat is VERY good.  His scoring numbers are down a bit this year, but that is largely because he is a pick and roll big man, and his PG is gone.  Put him with Rondo, and he would be a monster in the East. 

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Other trade ideas proposed in the article.

2)
2. Milwaukee Bucks | Gortat and Kendall Marshall for Tobias Harris, John Henson and Drew Gooden

3)
3. Oklahoma City Thunder | Gortat for Kendrick Perkins, Jeremy Lamb and a first-round pick in 2013

4)
4. Portland Trail Blazers | Gortat for Meyers Leonard, J.J. Hickson and a first-round pick in 2013 (no lottery protection)

5)
5. New Orleans Hornets | Gortat for Austin Rivers and Al-Farouq Aminu

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

I hate to give up Bradley too, but Gortat is VERY good.  His scoring numbers are down a bit this year, but that is largely because he is a pick and roll big man, and his PG is gone.  Put him with Rondo, and he would be a monster in the East.

Agreed. An acquisition like Gortat provides with the rebounding and inside play on both ends that would make us incredibly dangerous. It also makes us one of the biggest and most athletic front courts in the entire league. We would be right on Par with Memphis, LAL, LAC, and Utah.

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Are you comfortable with Jason Terry as your starting 2 defensivly, with Barbosa as his backup?

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
He isn't that happy in Phoenix.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/19/marcin-gortat-vents-hes-no-longer-even-considered-in-phoenix/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Unfortunately, in my case – for worse. I’m certainly not the player I was last season, I need to find my place in the new order. I’m still capable of helping this team, and regularly recording a double double, but when the ball sticks to one person on offence, it’s hard to find a good rhythm….

Unfortunately, my two strongest plays – the pick and roll and post-ups have been taken away from me. It’s not easy, we have a lot of plays that don’t include me. And my chemistry with Goran Dragic hasn’t been quite equal to what I had with Steve. These are things that we need to work on….

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m even an option for (coach Alvin) Gentry. He doesn’t even take me into consideration. The situation is critical. We’re playing the same thing we’ve been playing last year, but the truth is we have a completely different set of players. I don’t think it really works. I can’t get frustrated now though, I have to stay positive.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Are you comfortable with Jason Terry as your starting 2 defensivly, with Barbosa as his backup?

Sign Pietrus

Gortat reportedly turned down discussion of a contract extension in Phoenix (he is making $7.3 million this season $7.7 million the next). The publication also said he could be traded, but frankly on the rebuilding Suns there isn’t a player that’s not available.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/19/marcin-gortat-vents-hes-no-longer-even-considered-in-phoenix/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Why would his value be at an all-time high? His numbers are down considerably from last year. I was thinking that the Celts might be able to get him reasonably cheaply after his drop in play once Nash left, although Lee and Bradley isn't a king's ransom.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:36:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

If you got Gortat that pushes many of KG's minutes to pf, pushing most (if not all) of Green's minutes to sf, giving a fair amount of sg minutes to Pierce.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am all for it, but I don't see why Phoenix does this for a pair of SGs.

Green, AB and Melo for Gortat and Dudley does work later in the season.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
The entire read and interview is here.

http://gothicginobili.com/?p=5142

This guy is not happy and sounds like he wants out. I hope we get him.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 12:39:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The Suns' predicament

Out of curiosity, what are the other three (supposed) offers?

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 12:40:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

Why would his value be at an all-time high? His numbers are down considerably from last year. I was thinking that the Celts might be able to get him reasonably cheaply after his drop in play once Nash left, although Lee and Bradley isn't a king's ransom.

I wouldn't give up both of these guys if we really want to try and defend Dwyane Wade in the Playoffs.

Out of curiosity, what are the other three (supposed) offers?

See the fourth post of the thread.

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Gortat is a solid piece.  Thin out the guard ranks, throw in an undersized PF, and add 2nd rounder or prospect (e.g. Melo, Joseph).

Getting solid inside is key.

I'd trade Bass, Bradley, and Melo for Gortat in a second (and hope Courtney Lee comes into his own with us pretty soon).

Bradley is tough to let go, but for a true C that fits our precise need, it's worth it.