Author Topic: What makes a trade veto worthy? Philosophically?  (Read 1424 times)

What makes a trade veto worthy? Philosophically?
« on: October 31, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I always struggle with this. I don't really think there are right and wrong answers.  Generally I default to thinking the only reason is if I think something is essentially a collusion in a Hunger Games alliance sort of way. Like I'll help you lots now and then you help me lots later. Or I'm leaving this league so here's all my good guys.

I am tempted to veto trades I think are uneven, but I don't know if it's a good idea or right to try to save a guy from himself.  I mean if a guy wants a player/pick that's who he wants. 

I am tempted to use my veto just to help my own team and to think as selfishly as possible...like hmmmm....that trade is no good for me.   

I definitely use my veto as revenge factor. Like if a guy throws a hissy fit and lies about me a lot then I will definitely throw vetos at his trade.

Re: What makes a trade veto worthy? Philosophically?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In my mind, only trades made due to collusion should be vetoed.  I guess if there's a hugely lopsided trade made by a rookie manager, that could be vetoed, too.  However, if there are two experienced GMs who just have different visions, their trade should be respected.

In reality, people veto trades for a number of reasons.  I had one of my trades vetoed in a keeper league.  I had people tell me that they were vetoing the trade because they had a grudge against me.  Others vetoed the deal because it made my team too good.  I thought both were chicken excrement moves, but what can you do?

In general, I think that if a rival GM pulls off a great trade, the response shouldn't be to veto.  Rather, the GM should try to make a great trade of his own.  Blocking great trades for successful teams to preserve competitive balance is essentially affirmative action for bad GMs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
One thing I'm not a fan of is "There was an absurd trade I let you do last time, and this trade isn't absurd but it's a little absurd and so now I'm vetoing this one".   I do not believe in veto make up calls although I suppose if someone thinks they detect a trend then maybe.

One reason I may very well veto is if a guy trades a player for peanuts and I know I offered him significantly better than that. That ticks me off. You can't expect support from me in that situation.  That is very rare, but I think on occasion the thought has gone through my head

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I suppose vetoing a guy tanking may make some sense