Author Topic: When did the C's last have a great rebounder?  (Read 6765 times)

When did the C's last have a great rebounder?
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:19:43 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I mean a guy who you could count on every game to go out and get 10,12,14 boards almost every single game. It's really a rhetorical question.  My point is, you can't win playing small ball without good rebounding.  Somebody that when the shot goes up, either it's going in, or your guy is getting it and starting the break.  Faster, younger, more athletic players do you absolutely no good when you're walking the ball up!!!  In half court offense you don't want to be playing a bunch of little guys.(all right not little exactly)!  Go big in half court, and small when you want to get out and run!  End of rant! ;D

Re: When did the C's last have a great rebounder?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:45:41 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I feel your pain. All I ever heard growing up playing youth BB, Box OUT  !!! REBOUND !!! screamed at me by everyone including my mother  :-X   Never give up on any play till the ball is through the hoop.

I See where the Lakers are rebuilding from ....the Center out,  they start with getting the best center and add players. Good bigs are important to clean up the missed shots for second chance opportunities. Like Sully tries to do for us, he is one non -jumper doing all he can do .  Rondo, Bradley and Lee STEAL a few rebounds from bigs which would be great if we had some rebounding bigs .

If you build a a team with short players , they better be mean and tuff rebounders...  like Milsap.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:57:46 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Well, currently there are 20 players in NBA that average 9.0+ rpg, so, it's not like NBA is full of these players.
Only Utah (Jefferson & Millsap) and Lakers (Howard & Gasol) have two players in the list. 
12 teams (Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota, New Orleans, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington) have zero players with at least 9.0 rpg.

Off those 12 teams, the team with the worst best rebounder is Toronto (Amir Johnson, 6.3 rpg). Washington comes second close (Emeka Okafor, 7.0 rpg) and Boston is third (Kevin Garnett, 7.7 rpg).
Yet, in the rebounding differential stats, Toronto is 25th and Washington is 27th in NBA, while Boston is dead last.
In the very same stat category, Indiana is 3rd and Minnesota is 5th, despite without having anyone over 9.0 rpg, too.

Numbers look confusing a bit, but all I can say about is that it's a team's job to be a better rebounding team. It's not like we're a team of midgets, but when you move KG to C, and expect Bass to have an impact on the boards, it's an unavoidable result that we lose the inside battle.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:50 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I want to make a comparison with our bigs from 2008 (the 17th title) and right now...

KG averaged 9
Perk averaged 6
PJ Brown, Powe and BBD averaged 3  each in 11, 11 and 13 minutes respectively.
Add Pierces', he gets 5 a game

Those are solid numbers combined for our froncourt.

This year our bigs goes like this.

Bass averaged 5 a game
KG gets 7
Sully gets 4 in 17 minutes
Wilcox gets 2
Paul gets 6

So that 29 boards total for our bigs in 2008, 24 total this year, 5 extra possesions. We won the championship when our bigs are averagin 29 boards a game, I doubt we will if our bigs get 24 a night.

Rebounds are important.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:04:52 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Well, part of the problem is the C's system isn't conducive to having a prolific rebounder.  If they are playing defense correctly, it pulls bigs away from the basket a lot, and requires them to rebound as a team.

That's not to say having a quality rebounder wouldn't help matters.  But this teams problems have a lot more to do with team execution, than the lack of an individual. 

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
KG his first year was a great rebounder. His activity and impact on the glass were even greater than his raw totals would indicate. (he tipped a lot of balls out that weren't "rebounds" but went to the C's)

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
We have one, Rondo.  He's more than great.  Elite at his position, if not the best.

Powe was so underrated it's not even funny.  Had the strength, but it was the way he used his body that made him special.  Just simply unmovable down there.  The things he did on the offensive glass are sadly missed.

As for great defensive rebounders look no further than KG.  Nothing like he was in his prime leading the league, but he's still near the top (i think 13th last year, 7th this year), and just as good as he was in '08.  Should continue to rise the ranks by playing center exclusively, and is easily the 3rd best defensive rebounder there (behind Varejao and Dwight).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:43:07 AM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:36:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
KG his first year was a great rebounder. His activity and impact on the glass were even greater than his raw totals would indicate. (he tipped a lot of balls out that weren't "rebounds" but went to the C's)

Right.  But he was still averaging more than 3 rebounds less per game than his previous season in Minnesota.  Great rebounder or not, the system needs the whole team to pitch in.  And that has not been happening consistently since 2008.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Right.  But he was still averaging more than 3 rebounds less per game than his previous season in Minnesota.  Great rebounder or not, the system needs the whole team to pitch in.  And that has not been happening consistently since 2008.
He played nearly 7 minutes per game less for Boston. Most of his decline was minutes and superior defensive rebounding teammates. I don't think the C's defensive system effects things that much.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
My guess is Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish. DJ was an outstanding Rebouneder for a 2 guard.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:45:43 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
KG was the best rebounder for like 10 years straight in Minnesota....but they were empty stats..hes been an average rebounder since he came here

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

He played nearly 7 minutes per game less for Boston. Most of his decline was minutes and superior defensive rebounding teammates. I don't think the C's defensive system effects things that much.
Definitely this.

All you have to do is look at what our perimeter players did compared to theirs.  And realize the fact that Marc Blount was their second best rebounder.  KG was bringing up the ball for those teams, that's how little trust he had in his teammates.  He felt he needed to be in position for every single board or they lose the game.  Why get out position to play more defense and force a miss if they don't get the ball anyway?

Also probably helps that the team he came to had a sloth-like pace and ended up dead last in FGA and 3rd in FGA allowed (Minny was 24th in FGA allowed).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
We have one, Rondo.  He's more than great.  Elite at his position, if not the best.

Powe was so underrated it's not even funny.  Had the strength, but it was the way he used his body that made him special.  Just simply unmovable down there.  The things he did on the offensive glass are sadly missed.

As for great defensive rebounders look no further than KG.  Nothing like he was in his prime leading the league, but he's still near the top (i think 13th last year, 7th this year), and just as good as he was in '08.  Should continue to rise the ranks by playing center exclusively, and is easily the 3rd best defensive rebounder there (behind Varejao and Dwight).

If it makes you feel any better, I appreciated what Powe was doing pre-injury. His numbers, on a per-minute basis, were absolutely insane. I know it sounds crazy, but when he was actually in the game he was outplaying all-stars. His 20 point outburst in the finals? Didn't shock me that he played great, the only thing that shocked me was that Doc gave him enough minutes to let him shine.

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 03:15:17 AM »

fitzhickey

Scot pollard was alright at rebounding, he averaged 10 a game I think

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1538
My guess is Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish. DJ was an outstanding Rebouneder for a 2 guard.

??   So you are saying DJ was not a POINT GUARD?
LET'S GO CELTICS!