Author Topic: Are we reaching the end of the era?  (Read 5277 times)

Re: Are we reaching the end of the era?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Basically, KG is collecting his pension right now.  He's getting paid on reputation and prayer that he'll be able to call it back when it's needed most.

But really, paying big cash to a guy that can only play 5 min spurts?  It means we'll have our backup C playing against the opposing starter in every game.  So we need a starting-quality center to back up KG (and don't, and won't) just to be able to compete.  I'm sorry, but we're at a disadvantage in the paint in every game because of KG.

Pierce...a big shot taker and maker, but not so much a creator any more.  His footwork is still so awesome that he'll get some points, but he's not exactly a guaranteed bucket-or-free throw guy any more that can stop an opponent's run at will.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have had these scoring droughts for the past couple of years.

So those are two pretty big declines from the title form, and we have nothing to really compensate except for Rondo and a stable of quicker, more athletic (but not necessarily better) journeymen than we've had in the past.

We're loaded with talent, but the top of the rotation is only 1/3 of what it used to be, that is: we have one sure allstar.

This is a group that I could see coming together in a crazy magical way to run to the title, but more than likely Danny will be working the phones to death between Jan 15th and the trade deadline to arrange the blockbuster that adds to the top of the roster.

Great post. TP for you.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 11:53:48 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Basically, KG is collecting his pension right now.  He's getting paid on reputation and prayer that he'll be able to call it back when it's needed most.

But really, paying big cash to a guy that can only play 5 min spurts?  It means we'll have our backup C playing against the opposing starter in every game.  So we need a starting-quality center to back up KG (and don't, and won't) just to be able to compete.  I'm sorry, but we're at a disadvantage in the paint in every game because of KG.

Pierce...a big shot taker and maker, but not so much a creator any more.  His footwork is still so awesome that he'll get some points, but he's not exactly a guaranteed bucket-or-free throw guy any more that can stop an opponent's run at will.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have had these scoring droughts for the past couple of years.

So those are two pretty big declines from the title form, and we have nothing to really compensate except for Rondo and a stable of quicker, more athletic (but not necessarily better) journeymen than we've had in the past.

We're loaded with talent, but the top of the rotation is only 1/3 of what it used to be, that is: we have one sure allstar.

This is a group that I could see coming together in a crazy magical way to run to the title, but more than likely Danny will be working the phones to death between Jan 15th and the trade deadline to arrange the blockbuster that adds to the top of the roster.

Great post. TP for you.

I totally agree not enough talent at the top.

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 12:48:51 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 01:01:59 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
GMTA check out this post

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=60470.msg1330434#msg1330434

More people are getting to this point..

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 03:45:15 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

KG's playing 28 minutes a game. If he was giving us the same production for 36 minutes it would be 19/10 and he was 2nd team all-defense last year. So KG for another 8 minutes a game would easily be a max player, he's not overpaid for the 28 a game.

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 04:45:32 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
KG may be an all star this year now that there are 3 front court players with no specification for center.

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:09 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I don't think so.
We are lucky that D Rose is still out in Chicago.

KG is still doing what he did last year and by the end of the year he'll be beasting in the playoffs and controlling the game with his defense.
Rondo just gets better. Pierce hasn't regressed too much. We need Bass to get better.
I think Terry and Lee are sitting at about 75% and 60% of what they're capable of offensively.
Jeff Green is at about 40%.

It always looks bleak at this time of the year. Remember last season? And the season before? See how close we came to beating Miami? I know they're better but if we had Ray instead of Terry and Lee people would just have another argument for their 'old guys' theory.

We have 8 new players on a team that is going to use 10 players throughout the season. The defense is the most important thing and that is still being worked out. We have excellent defenders. Think about the defense we have:
KG
Rondo
Bradley
Green
Lee
Collins
Darko

Once they get the rotations down and hit some cohesion we will be a mighty team with a very deep, talented roster.
I think we're going to see some rookies and a young guy moved in a trade because we do need interior help on defense for KG.

But this to me is the strongest team since Shaq was starting, and we are even deeper.
We have a roster that once it clicks and gets firing will be a legitimate threat to win the Eastern Conference.
I'm just not sure anyone can beat the Lakers with their size and skill. I think the Grizzlies are very strong too and if we face either of them we are screwed without an All Star big.

Again, think of last year and how horrid and out of shape, washed up and 'aged' both Pierce and KG looked.
 I've said it dozens of times but a roster with this many new role players and young guys is going to take a good 30-40 games to even start to look good.

Just keep the faith and remember that we are probably so stacked at the two because we are going to trade for a big man at some point- which will make this tough team a title contender.

Whatever happens I'm down and I've got Danny, Doc and KG's back 10000000%.

Go you %*($&*@!#%$ Celtics go.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 05:27:39 AM »

Offline Smutzy#9

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I just wanna see a big get a semi decent post game again..... then us go after him.

If He turns out could you imagine a Monroe Drummond front court for detroit in the future, Monroe is already a freak and Drummon is athletic as all hell (that being said so is McGee) Those guys get a good offensive game..... Game over

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:13 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I don't think there is a contending team in the NBA that wouldn't pay KG more than 10 million to be their defensive anchor. He's great in the regular season but guys are paid to show up in the playoffs. He can still guard multiple positions and without him we'd be lucky to give the Cavs a challenge for the 8th seed.
KG has never failed us, I can't see why he would now, he's not physically impaired. He doesn't carry weight around to hurt his knees. He's got plenty of tread on those tyres and he's worth every penny of the 10 million. He's given us a home court discount at 10 million too.
To say we're at a disadvantage with KG in the paint is 100% garbage. His playoffs last year were incredible and he was getting dirty, defending the paint and manipulating the paint on offense and defense every single game. Unless you're implying that he needs help in there- because he does. Bass just isn't cutting it and Danny knows this. KG doesn't finish top 5 in defensive player of the year voting because he's a liability in the paint.
Put Josh Smith next to him and we are a title contender.
I can't believe I read that and people are agreeing with it lol.
This team is nothing without KG in the paint on offense and defense.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:50 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

I don't think there is a contending team in the NBA that wouldn't pay KG more than 10 million to be their defensive anchor. He's great in the regular season but guys are paid to show up in the playoffs.
KG has never failed us, I can't see why he would now, he's not physically impaired. He doesn't carry weight around to hurt his knees. He's got plenty of tread on those tyres and he's worth every penny of the 10 million. He's given us a home court discount at 10 million too.

I always wonder what would've happened if KG had joined the Lakers and not us. Kobe and him would probably be sitting around the house with a handful of rings by now, laughing and sharing jokes. Heck, we could be looking at a mini dynasty if (if, if, if... I know) not for that [danged] knee. In a way, KG should be in every MVP talk. I know Rajon's the Man now but without KG, we don't go.

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 07:13:43 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Hey, I love KG too, but when he's on the bench and the other team's starter is still out there, it's our bench against their best.  That's a disadvantage any way you slice it.

I love KG when he's out there, but if he can't play a starter's schedule/minutes, that's a problem.

Maybe the problem is just with Doc.

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 07:23:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Hey, I love KG too, but when he's on the bench and the other team's starter is still out there, it's our bench against their best.  That's a disadvantage any way you slice it.

I love KG when he's out there, but if he can't play a starter's schedule/minutes, that's a problem.

Maybe the problem is just with Doc.

29 minutes a game isn't terribly low for a center in the nba. He's only playing 3-4 minutes a game fewer than he was in 07-08.

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 07:59:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Celtics just live or die by the jump shot.  With KG on the Bench and Paul Pierce struggling from the field .  Its gonna be hard to beat anybody.

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 08:26:18 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
One thing that I have learned in the past 3 seasons...

I will never...ever...ever count this team out. Ever.

Got it?

Good.
exactly how many times dis thread been made ova da past few years? lol

Welcome to the Boston Celtics, ladies an gentlemen, where 20 years of losing have made it a success story to lose in the ECF.

The end of this era happened a long time ago, we´re just in denial.

I bet when the Lakers win #18 before us, people on here will tell you that "it´s not the end of the world" and "titles are overrated, anyway".
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Celtics just live or die by the jump shot.  With KG on the Bench and Paul Pierce struggling from the field .  Its gonna be hard to beat anybody.
...no