Author Topic: If your going to propose to trade Jeff Green...  (Read 4230 times)

If your going to propose to trade Jeff Green...
« on: November 18, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
At least get a serviceable back up SF in return in the trade!

Seriously!

I keep seeing trades to bring in a big man that gives up both Bass and Green or just Green.

I get it, his contract makes it easier to do these things. I get that Greens contract is a bit on the high side of things. But tell me a SF that would have come here for a vet min or less that is as good or better...

The C's offered him this money because some one would have taken a shot at him for that much. So DA had to wrap him up. And its not like we could have spent 8 to 9 mill on some one else. The C's don't sign Green, its some one else for a couple mill or less.

Yeah he hasn't played up to what we thought. Or even what he was playing in the preseason. But I think there are some factors why he hasn't been playing like his old self.

First, its been over a year since he had seen full out real NBA action. Preseason doesn't count, were every one is moving a little slower, getting into shape. Plus he played a lot more, and against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Second, Docs rotation is been all over the place. He hasn't been playing with a set group of players. I'd like to see Terry and KG go out at the same time, slide PP to the SG, and bring Green and Wilcox in. Play PP a few more minutes and then bring Lee in. That way Green gets some extra time with Rondo who can set him up better.

And Third, this is a two part'er that are connected. One thing, he may be thinking about his heart even if he doesn't know it. Making him not want to go full out. I think we'll see him get faster and more aggressive as the season goes not. Or at least I hope so. And for that reason he's not in as good as shape. And from being out for a year, he could be hitting walls that he's never had to run threw.

KG also has his back. Just like he had AB's back last season. And how many people wanted him out in the beginning of the season? Look how that turned out. KG is a not nonsense kind of guy, and if he doesn't think you can bring it, he wont push you. So theres that.

So when people bring up trades they need to bring in a decent back up SF along with what ever big they are trading for. Kris Joseph is a nice player, but not ready for the back up roll yet, if ever.

Also think of the team make up, and then who they play against. Mostly Miami. Trading a SF that can give PP rest of guarding Lebron for a center or nonathletic big is not a good trade.

Re: If your going to propose to trade Jeff Green...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Can't trade Jeff until Jan 15th anyways... same with Bass.  So we probably will not see any major trades until then.  It's unfortunate, because I could see Pau Gasol and Josh Smith traded well before then... and we have to sit on our hands hoping it doesn't happen in the next two months. 

That's why I could see Big Al or Millisap being our target around the deadline.  If Utah is struggling and Favors continues to be fantastic off the bench... they might want to move one of those bigs to free up minutes for Favors (and Kanter).  Both Millisap and Al are free agents at the end of this season... a deadline deal for assets makes sense if they don't plan on re-signing them.

As for bringing in a serviceable SF... I think there will probably be some crappy buyout options as usual... and I don't mind "going small" with someone like Lee playing SF if we have some proper bigs on the court with him. 

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
<--- Imagining how awesome Big Al would be on the Celtics. For like the last hour.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 05:15:37 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Celtics do not have to balance everything in a single trade or move. 

If they can improve themselves by trading Green (and others) for another big man but no backup SF, they make the trade and start looking at how to bring in a serviceable SF that can play 10-15 minutes a game.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
this is exactly why we cant trade him

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
<--- Imagining how awesome Big Al would be on the Celtics. For like the last hour.

He'd have to do some work on his defense, but yeah, his post scoring and great rebounding numbers would be quite useful here.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:16:17 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ive noticed this too. green is probably one of our two most attractive trading pieces (bradley the other). but kris joseph cant be our back up three if we trade green. we would have to search the free agent market for a back up three. by jan 15th that market will be full of mediocre below average options to choose from.

also. i love jefferson. but i want no part of him back in celtic green. unfortunatley big al has worn out his welcome on all three teams hes been on. they all become losing squads. i say no thanks.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

If they can improve themselves by trading Green (and others) for another big man but no backup SF, they make the trade and start looking at how to bring in a serviceable SF that can play 10-15 minutes a game.

This is pretty much what I'd say but I don't dislike the idea of trading for a big and a wing in a blockbuster. In the Amare Stoudemire thread I posted something like Green/Bass/Lee for Amare/Brewer. That would upgrade our PF position significantly and give us a defensive spark off of the bench at SF.

Another option would be to move Green/Sullinger and picks for Cousins/Johnson. That nets us a big and an athletic SF with defensive skills.

One I haven't seen proposed yet is Harkless/Vucevic for Lee/Sully. Don't know how high Orlando is on Vucevic but it might be a good move so we can part with Green in another trade if the need arises. I'd include a first on our side too.

also. i love jefferson. but i want no part of him back in celtic green. unfortunatley big al has worn out his welcome on all three teams hes been on. they all become losing squads. i say no thanks.

I agree with this. I'd push for Paul Millsap or try to homerun it with Josh Smith.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
AlJeff and KG together would give Miami fits.

If AB comes back strong, Green/Bass/Lee for BigAl and Hayward works.

I've been reluctant to propose trading Green for sentimental reasons and reluctant to trade Lee and Bass because they took less to play here. Trading them would be 1. bad juju and 2. a bad message to future potential signees.

However, having a KG, ALjEFF, Wilcox, Sullinger front-court rotation would be sick, something that the cHeat couldn't handle. At 6-8, Hayward could play the 2 or the 3.
I'd do this.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

This is pretty much what I'd say but I don't dislike the idea of trading for a big and a wing in a blockbuster. In the Amare Stoudemire thread I posted something like Green/Bass/Lee for Amare/Brewer. That would upgrade our PF position significantly and give us a defensive spark off of the bench at SF.

Another option would be to move Green/Sullinger and picks for Cousins/Johnson. That nets us a big and an athletic SF with defensive skills.

One I haven't seen proposed yet is Harkless/Vucevic for Lee/Sully. Don't know how high Orlando is on Vucevic but it might be a good move so we can part with Green in another trade if the need arises. I'd include a first on our side too.

I agree with this. I'd push for Paul Millsap or try to homerun it with Josh Smith.

Same here. ;)

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

It's a lot easier to find a serviceable back-up SF for the minimum than it is to find a serviceable big.  It wouldn't be impossible to find a backup SF in the D-League who is NBA-ready.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Lee can play back up SF and ditto for Barbosa.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Seriously!

I keep seeing trades to bring in a big man that gives up both Bass and Green or just Green.

I get it, his contract makes it easier to do these things. I get that Greens contract is a bit on the high side of things. But tell me a SF that would have come here for a vet min or less that is as good or better...

The C's offered him this money because some one would have taken a shot at him for that much. So DA had to wrap him up. And its not like we could have spent 8 to 9 mill on some one else. The C's don't sign Green, its some one else for a couple mill or less.

Yeah he hasn't played up to what we thought. Or even what he was playing in the preseason. But I think there are some factors why he hasn't been playing like his old self.

First, its been over a year since he had seen full out real NBA action. Preseason doesn't count, were every one is moving a little slower, getting into shape. Plus he played a lot more, and against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Second, Docs rotation is been all over the place. He hasn't been playing with a set group of players. I'd like to see Terry and KG go out at the same time, slide PP to the SG, and bring Green and Wilcox in. Play PP a few more minutes and then bring Lee in. That way Green gets some extra time with Rondo who can set him up better.

And Third, this is a two part'er that are connected. One thing, he may be thinking about his heart even if he doesn't know it. Making him not want to go full out. I think we'll see him get faster and more aggressive as the season goes not. Or at least I hope so. And for that reason he's not in as good as shape. And from being out for a year, he could be hitting walls that he's never had to run threw.

KG also has his back. Just like he had AB's back last season. And how many people wanted him out in the beginning of the season? Look how that turned out. KG is a not nonsense kind of guy, and if he doesn't think you can bring it, he wont push you. So theres that.

So when people bring up trades they need to bring in a decent back up SF along with what ever big they are trading for. Kris Joseph is a nice player, but not ready for the back up roll yet, if ever.

Also think of the team make up, and then who they play against. Mostly Miami. Trading a SF that can give PP rest of guarding Lebron for a center or nonathletic big is not a good trade.

Th only option for this would be Josh Smith.  He can play some minutes at SF if need be.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:48:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Isn't Pietrus still available?

Wouldn't he come back to Boston if he is still out there at that point to play the same role he had last year?

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I don't want to trade Jeff Green. But if they will, I hope it's to SacTo for James Johnson and a pick.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace