Author Topic: Sources: Lakers very interested in Josh Smith  (Read 6378 times)

Re: Sources: Lakers very interested in Josh Smith
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Not to toot my own horn, but I was the first person to really suggest and advocate a Josh Smith trade.

But a midseason trade for Josh just doesn't make any sense unless we look like complete garbage and we get a great deal.   We're too talented for the first to happen, and all reports state they are ready to risk him becoming a free agent and will demand a ridiculously high price.

Josh Smith may come to Boston this next offseason, and maybe 5 years down the road even, but it's not going to be during this season people.
so your first post on cblog is from June of 2012 , yet you were the first one to suggest a trade for Josh Smith? right.....
Boston Receives:

Josh Smith
Zaza Pachulia

Atlanta Receives

Ray Allen
Chris Wilcox

Why for Boston?

Smith immediately increases our lack of athletic ability. He could start at the 3 (moving Pierce to the 2), or he could start at the 4 (moving KG to the 5 and inserting Pietrus at the 2 for better shooting). Him and Rondo are close friends and their on-court chemistry, particularly on breaks, will pay immediate dividends.

Smith on Rondo:
"He's one of my close friends," Smith said. "If I tell him anything [personal], it won't get out. We talk about everything. He's like one of my brothers. He would fight for me just like I would fight for him

Pachulia, although not a fan favorite in Boston, will bring some toughness and physical play to a team that has been lacking it since Perk was traded. He can rebound, runs the floor well for a big, and will get under the skin of opponents.

This summer looks bleak in terms of landing a big name FA. Instead the summer of 13 looks much more promising when some major players (Love, Gordon, etc.) won't have the restricted tag attached to their name. So the key would be to add players, like Smith and Pachulia, that have contracts that expire in 2013. We can get a close look at Smith, which allows to make a better decision on whether or not he's a building block for the future, while not compromising cap space going forward.

This also gives us a complimentary piece to Rondo and the fast pace team Ainge looks to be trying to build. Smith, Green (if health permits), & Rondo could be a devastating trio in transition.

Why not for Boston?

Losing Allen could be a major locker room problem. On the court, his shooting created space. Not having him around would definitely hurt spacing.

Why for Atlanta?

Allen brings to the Hawks something they seem to have lacked for some time, veteran leadership and player that can space the floor for Joe Johnson and Al Horford.

Both Allen and Wilcox have expiring contracts, so the Hawks would be shedding approximately 17.2 million in salary for next season. This is important for a team that was nearly sold in November. The smaller payroll makes it much more likely for a prospective owner to buy the team.

Smith has been on the block for some and seems as though the feeling is mutual:

Adrian Wojnarowski:
Josh Smith hasn’t changed his mind on a future with his hometown Atlanta Hawks: He believes he’s probably run his course with Atlanta. Without an owner committed to making the changes to push this team past its second-round Eastern Conference ceiling, sources said he’d still welcome the team putting him into a trade.

Why not for Atlanta?

Allen is a FA and there is no certainty that he will re-sign with the Hawks. This could be a major obstacle for Atlanta since, save for cap space, they would have nothing to show for trading away Smith.

NOTE:

This trade cannot be completed until after March 1st because of Wilcox's deal
Eddie20 disagrees, (and that's just this year). ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Sources: Lakers very interested in Josh Smith
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 02:32:47 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not to toot my own horn, but I was the first person to really suggest and advocate a Josh Smith trade.

But a midseason trade for Josh just doesn't make any sense unless we look like complete garbage and we get a great deal.   We're too talented for the first to happen, and all reports state they are ready to risk him becoming a free agent and will demand a ridiculously high price.

Josh Smith may come to Boston this next offseason, and maybe 5 years down the road even, but it's not going to be during this season people.
???

And I invented the wheel.