Author Topic: Celtics (6-4) at Pistons (1-9) 11/18  (Read 32390 times)

Celtics (6-4) at Pistons (1-9) 11/18
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11820
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (6-4) at Detroit Pistons (19)
Sunday, November 18, 2012
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #11, Road Game #6
TV:  CSNNE, FSD,  LP 757(C's Feed)/758(Pistons Feed)
Radio:  WEEI, 97.1 FM The Ticket
Palace of Auburn Hills   

Probable Starters
PGSGSFPFC
Rajon Rondo.... Jason Terry.... Paul Pierce.....Brandon Bass.... Kevin Garnett

Celtics Reserves
Jared Sullinger
Jason Collins
Jeff Green
Courtney Lee
Leandro Barbosa
Chris Wilcox
Darko Milicic
Leandro Barbosa

Injured
Avery Bradley (shoulders) out

Red Claws

Fab Melo
Kris Joseph

Probable Starters
PG SG SF PF C
Brandon Knight...kyle Singler...Tayshaun Prince...Jason Maxiell..Greg Monroe 

Pistons Bench
Rodney Stuckey
Will Bynum
Corey Maggette
Jonas Jerebko
Austin Daye
Khris Middleton
Charlie Villanueva
Kim English
Viacheslav Kravtsov

Injuries

None

Team Connections

Tayshaun Prince and Rajon Rondo both attended the University of Kentucky
Jeff Green and Greg Monroe attended Georgetown
Corey Maggette and Chris Wilcox were teammates on the LA Clippers from 2002-06
Pistons Head Coach Lawrence Frank was an assistant coach with the Celtics during the 2010-11 season
Pistons assistant coach Roy Rogers was an assistant with the Celtics during the 2010-11 season and played for the Celtics during the 1997-98 season
Pistons Assistant Coach Dee Brown played for the Celtics from 1990-98 and was drafted by the team with the 19th pick in the 1990 NBA Draft
Darko Milicic was drafted by the Pistons with the 2nd pick in the 2003 NBA Draft and was a member of the 2004 NBA Championship team
Milicic played for Detroit from 2003-06.
Chris Wilcox played for the Pistons from 2009-11. 

Key Matchups 
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Brandon Knight
Rajon Rondo has been playing MVP level basketball. He seems to keep getting better and better.  Knight has been playing well also, averaging 11.3 points, 4.3 rebounds and 7.1 assists.    This should be a good matchup. 

vs 
Paul Pierce vs Tayshaun Prince
This has been a great matchup over the years,  Prince's length can give Pierce problems but Pierce's strength can also give Prince problems. 

Honorable Mention

Jason Terry vs Kyle Singler
Singler is a 6'8" rookie shooting guard.  Needless to say, he's got 6 inches on JET and should be able to get his shot off over Jason easily.  He has been shooting 46% from beyond the arc and so will be a tough matchup.  Don't be surprised to see Paul Pierce, Jeff Green or Courtney Lee guarding him if he gives JET problems.   

Game Notes
The Celtics face former Celtics assistant Lawrence Frank and his Pistons for the first of 3 meetings this season.  The Pistons won the series 2-1 last season.  They have struggled this season and would love to get a win over the Celtics to boost their confidence. 

The Celtics are 3-2 on the road while the Pistons are 0-3 at home.  They have won just one game against 9 losses, getting a win over the Sixers on the road.  The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games while the had Saturday off. 

The Pistons have struggled on offense, scoring just 93 points per game. while the Celtics are averaging 97 ppg.   The Pistons aren't much better on the boards than the Celtics, with the Pistons coming 28th with 38.8 rebounds per game and the Celtics coming in last with 37.6 rebounds per game. 

Even though the Celtics played on Sunday, it was an afternoon game and so not quite as bad as if it was a night game.   Also, since the Celtics were able to get a big lead, only Rondo played more than 30 minutes (32) and KG played only 17.  It should be an easy game for the Celtics if they come in focused and ready to take care of business.

Keys to the Game
Defense - It all begins with defense.  The Celtics have been winning with defense.  When they play lock down defense they are very hard to beat.    When they get lax on defense, they struggle all the way around. 

Rebound - The Celtics need to be aggressive on the boards.  Rebounding is effort and if the Celtics are putting the effort out to grab rebounds then that effort will translate to the other areas of their game.  They finally out-rebounded a team in their last game and hopefully that effort continues in this game. 

Focus and Aggressiveness
- It could be easy for the Celtics to let down their guard in this one.  The Pistons are just 1-8 and the Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games.  But they need to keep their focus and be aggressive.  They have to be aggressive in going to the basket and not settle for jumpers.  They have to be aggressive on defense and going for loose balls.  They have lost easy games in the past because they play down to their opponents.  They need to avoid that here. 

X-Factors
Back to Back
The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games on the road.  Hopefully they have the focus and energy to get the win. 

Re: Celtics (6-4) at Pistons (1-9) 11/18
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
thanks for the game thread. i love the pix you use to start them off. the celtics should win this one easily and give the starters one more easy game.

go celtics!!!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Thanks, and TP for you!

Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:18:19 AM »

fitzhickey

Loving the bobble-heads

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:37:56 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
can't wait...

I wanna see Andre Drummond, the guy I really wanted the C's to draft...but now that we got Sully, I hope Sully tear him apart lol

Go Celtics

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:25 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Lets win this one early and rest the starters.

(Yes I know I posted this last game but it worked just fine.  ;D)

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:50:04 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
can't wait...

I wanna see Andre Drummond, the guy I really wanted the C's to draft...but now that we got Sully, I hope Sully tear him apart lol

Go Celtics

Drummond isn't on their roster though.

I hope they do really well and minimize PP and KG's minutes just like last game.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 08:01:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I tell ya , I'm loving Barbosa 's attitude and aggressive play. 

He is NOT afraid of contact, almost every time he drives into the paint something good happens for the team.

I'm all for Barbosa running the team when Rondo is sitting.

He never stands around , he is always stirring the pot on offense. ( like Bradley)

I like what Barbosa brings to this team.. when he can stay under control ...the Celtics are much better team than when Terry or Lee are playing point.

I look for Sully to turn up his game little by little , as he becomes more comfortable playing Doc's defense and adding in his own game. He is a team first player and the guys like him.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Drummond played Fri. nite with 10pts,3rebs, and 2 blks in only 15 of PT.

On another note; Pistons are a big team with only 2 guys under 6'5" and seven players 6'10" or more.  If Darko can't get into this game, Doc needs to be put on the line and asked what's up his butt about the guy!

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Drummond played Fri. nite with 10pts,3rebs, and 2 blks in only 15 of PT.

On another note; Pistons are a big team with only 2 guys under 6'5" and seven players 6'10" or more.  If Darko can't get into this game, Doc needs to be put on the line and asked what's up his butt about the guy!
The only way he puts Darko in the game is if Wilcox struggles badly or he decideds play KG at PF.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 11:53:40 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP. Go Celtics!

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 12:07:22 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I wouldn't take this one for granted.
they beat a good Sixers team, and lost to OKC by 2 points.
We need a big body on Monroe, i think he is to big for KG.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Monroe always kills us, and recently the Pistons just seem to give us a hard time. I believe this is definitely a possible trap game.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 12:29:08 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Wonder if we'll see Rondo in the post - Knight had a lot of problems with him there last year.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo