Author Topic: NBA finally gives Rondo major credit  (Read 3894 times)

Re: NBA finally gives Rondo major credit
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 01:17:27 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
I'm not trying to say that Deron Williams is a bum here, but has anyone else noticed that he hasn't really been in the conversation as the league's best point guard since he got Jerry Sloan fired from Utah?

How long is he going to be able to use the move to New Jersey/Brooklyn as an excuse for not playing up to the level that he did under Sloan for the Jazz?

I'd refrain from leaving Deron out of the conversation, but he has had a couple of quiet seasons with the Nets, that's true.
But now that Nets built somewhat of a strong team (at least, they're strong on paper), a gradually improving performance for him could be expected, although he hasn't had an awesome start to the season.

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't think I've ever seen a "superstar" consistently quit on his team quite as blatantly as D-Will bailed on the nets last year.

He's a good point guard. He used to be a great one. I'm not sure if he can still elevate his playing.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'm not trying to say that Deron Williams is a bum here, but has anyone else noticed that he hasn't really been in the conversation as the league's best point guard since he got Jerry Sloan fired from Utah?

How long is he going to be able to use the move to New Jersey/Brooklyn as an excuse for not playing up to the level that he did under Sloan for the Jazz?

I think Williams is a bum... I've never liked his game and he has just shown that he shouldnt be in the top 3 PGs discussion. He hasnt improved his game, really, i think he has gotten worse. He is not a smart player at all. The shots he was taking against us we just dumb. Why shoot from the outside that much when you can facilitate your offense so much more effectively.

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I don't think I've ever seen a "superstar" consistently quit on his team quite as blatantly as D-Will bailed on the nets last year.

How did Deron bail on the Nets last year? He actually has been one of the few bright spots for a putrid Nets team (until this year).

Even last year, in a down year with horrid teammates, Deron quarterbacked a better offensive team than Rondo and had a better PER.

I think we'll be singing a different tune by the end of this year. His efficiency numbers have been right around where his career numbers have been.

It's easy to be forgotten about when you play on a crappy team as Deron has the last two years. Remember Pierce pre KG/Ray? Most NBA fans don't.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39

He's always been overrated.

I did the splits of his career vs Rondo a couple seasons ago and it was Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. lopsided.   I don't remember it off the top of my head but it was something like...

DWill career vs Rondo:
10 PPG, 35FG%, 8APG, 3 RPG, .5SPG, 3 TOPG

Rondo career vs DWill:
13 PPG, 55FG%, 12 APG,6 RPG, 2 SPG, 1 TOPG

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 02:53:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
SideNote: Love the garden score keepers. I'd say from watching that video he had 12-14 assists. Still good, but Jesus. on one, he makes a pass to JG, who goes into the triple step position and then pump fakes into a step in jumper.

The shot literally doesn't leave his hand for 4-5 seconds after Rondo's pass AND two iso moves.

And some of the KG ones are like "pass into the post...Kg works his man with post moves...takes jumper or hook 2-4 seconds later while rondo looks on"

Home Cooking is Swweeetttt  8)

Whether or not Rondo gets a "home cooking" advantage in his assists is debatable. First of all many players (and teams) play better at home, in fact the Celts make a couple of baskets a game more at home than on the road. In terms of numbers Rondo got about 2.8 more assists at home than on the road in 09-10, 2 more in 10-11 and actually 1 less assist a game at home than on the road in 11-12. CP has probably had a slightly better home advantage over that time, for comparison, while Nash has less of an advantage than either of them.

But there's no way the difference would be close to 6-8 assists out of 20. While you can argue that assists are given out too easily (even though they aren't given out liberally compared to historic levels) he'd still have gotten most of those assists on the road.

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 03:00:15 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

How did Deron bail on the Nets last year? He actually has been one of the few bright spots for a putrid Nets team (until this year).

Even last year, in a down year with horrid teammates, Deron quarterbacked a better offensive team than Rondo and had a better PER.

Last year the Nets were 6 points per 100 possessions better with Deron in the game than on the bench, the Celts were 8 points better with Rondo in the game than on the bench.