Author Topic: NBA finally gives Rondo major credit  (Read 3895 times)

NBA finally gives Rondo major credit
« on: November 17, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Re: NBA finally gives Rondo major credit
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 01:40:37 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
through a small little blog post, but at least credit is given where credit is long overdue.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:31:35 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Have you been asleep?

The NBA has been promoting Rondo for some time now. I have seen enormous images of him on NBA billboards in Times Square for last year's playoffs and for this year's regular season.

The NBA and networks have been promoting him a lot for a while now. No need to play the unappreciated victim.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 02:54:15 AM »

fitzhickey

Have you been asleep?

The NBA has been promoting Rondo for some time now. I have seen enormous images of him on NBA billboards in Times Square for last year's playoffs and for this year's regular season.

The NBA and networks have been promoting him a lot for a while now. No need to play the unappreciated victim.
He's still under appreciated in the general public. People are always saying (well my friends are) that rose, Paul, Westbrook and d-will are better, and it really irks me. I always argue that rondo doesn't decide to takeover, not that he can't, but they always pull the "he can't shoot card" which has been shut down with how well he's shooting this year.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:14:23 AM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Have you been asleep?

He's still under appreciated in the general public. People are always saying (well my friends are) that rose, Paul, Westbrook and d-will are better, and it really irks me. I always argue that rondo doesn't decide to takeover, not that he can't, but they always pull the "he can't shoot card" which has been shut down with how well he's shooting this year.

In terms of passing, Rose and Westbrook should not even be in the conversation.
Paul, Williams and Rondo are all better than the rest.
Paul has the stability, he makes the least turnovers amongst all.
Williams has the biggest size and can post up other guards, which is his pro in matchups.
Rondo looks like he has the best court vision amongst all, but that's always debatable.

Oh, and he can shoot fairly well.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Westbrook and Rose have always been vastly overrated (especially Westbrook ... seriously, he is a terrible shooter AND a terrible passer. He is just super athletic). Neither should be in the discussion for best point guard, quite frankly.

Honestly, I think it is a bit of a wash between Chris Paul and Rondo, with D-Will just a notch below them. Chris Paul is consistently better than Rondo when it comes to scoring and not turning the ball over ... however, Rondo has more frequently shown the ability to come up big, and is generally a better passer. Deron Williams has a butload of talent, and he is big ... but he hasn't shown the ability to really lead a team in the way Paul and Rondo have.

Also, not only is this subjectively true, but the advanced stats back it up, too. Paul, Rondo, and D-Will are higher in almost every metric than Rose and Westbrook, the only exception being PER (which is a terrible metric that pretty much only measures scoring).

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think he's given a lot of credit it's just not enough for Boston fans.  Rondo is not CP3 and a healthy DRose is probably better too.  He is considered a top 5 PG in the league by almost every analyst.  He just isn't considered the best PG in basketball and that's okay.  There is nothing wrong with being the 3rd or 4th best PG in the league.  He was on a lot of guys MVP lists early in the season, I think that's credit.
do it

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think he's given a lot of credit it's just not enough for Boston fans.  Rondo is not CP3 and a healthy DRose is probably better too.  He is considered a top 5 PG in the league by almost every analyst.  He just isn't considered the best PG in basketball and that's okay.  There is nothing wrong with being the 3rd or 4th best PG in the league.  He was on a lot of guys MVP lists early in the season, I think that's credit.

I say he's not just top five, but very solidly second on the list of top PGs.  D-Rose will have to work his way back, and by the time he's healthy, it won't be an easy task for him to unseat Rondo as the second best point guard in the league.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Rondo is such a hard player to analyze because he rarely plays to his capabilities, and has a lot of bad habits he needs to clean-up (which have exponential effects since he always has the ball in his hands). Then we get to the playoffs, and he has some spectacular performances, but at the same time he also puts us in some deep holes in some other crucial games which are unnecessary.

He's been improving on his consistency, but if he'd only tweak a few small things he would be that much better.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Have you been asleep?

Yeah Rondo has been promoted as a star ever since 2010-2011.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
the only thin Drose/westbrook do better than rondo is score...and im not even sure HOW much better considering those guys take 20shots a game

while Rondo only takes about 12 a game I consider them more shooting guards in a point guards body 

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 12:22:17 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Have you been asleep?

He might be promoted but he still doesnt get the credit he deserves and is still underappreciated when it comes to the best PG's in the league conversation. He is always mentioned as "one step behind...Williams, Paul, Westbrook, Parker" etc. When really, he is a better POINT GUARD, then any of them.

And I hate the "he cant shoot" argument. The point guards job is to run the offense and get the ball into the hands of you best scorers, shooters, and find the best shot on said play. People consider him a bad shooter because he can find the open man at the end of the game rather than take the shot himself? Thats just silly.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Have you been asleep?

He might be promoted but he still doesnt get the credit he deserves and is still underappreciated when it comes to the best PG's in the league conversation. He is always mentioned as "one step behind...Williams, Paul, Westbrook, Parker" etc. When really, he is a better POINT GUARD, then any of them.

And I hate the "he cant shoot" argument. The point guards job is to run the offense and get the ball into the hands of you best scorers, shooters, and find the best shot on said play. People consider him a bad shooter because he can find the open man at the end of the game rather than take the shot himself? Thats just silly.

I don't think that's really accurate anymore. Since 2010 I think the only guys he really gets compared to among PG's are CP3, Rose, and Dwill.

And I think there's arguments with All three, though the only one I really think is a better PG than rondo is CP3, and if Rondo can keep hitting his midrange jumper the way he's started to late last year and to start the season, I think he'll be in more "He's the best PG" discussions.

SideNote: Love the garden score keepers. I'd say from watching that video he had 12-14 assists. Still good, but Jesus. on one, he makes a pass to JG, who goes into the triple step position and then pump fakes into a step in jumper.

The shot literally doesn't leave his hand for 4-5 seconds after Rondo's pass AND two iso moves.

And some of the KG ones are like "pass into the post...Kg works his man with post moves...takes jumper or hook 2-4 seconds later while rondo looks on"

Home Cooking is Swweeetttt  8)
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Have you been asleep?

It might be that your friends are trying to push your buttons because they don't like the Celtics. I wouldn't generalize from your friends. Heck, we have people on this site who have discounted how good Kobe and Lebron are at times. That doesn't mean there isn't recognition for their greatest among broadcasters, reporters and fans.

In the last few playoffs, Rondo has been one of the most talked about players until the Celtics were eliminated. Naturally, people at that point are going to just talk about the players remaining. The press also doesn't complain about Rondo's defensive gambling like we do. He might even get more credit from non-Celtics fans for his defense than from Celtics fans. He made all NBA 3rd team last season and all defense second team and has been first or second team each of the past 4 seasons.. That is recognition. Rondo was also 3rd in votes among guard for last year's all star game, with only reigning MVP Rose and Wade ahead of him. In fact, Rondo had the 6th most votes of any player in the east and 11th most votes in the entire league. All that with a bunch of missed games early on and, if I remember correctly, a team underperforming.

Rondo's confidence with the jumper this year could take him to the next level. With Rose hurt, Rondo has a really good chance of getting enough votes for an all star starting spot, especially since he gets better highlights than D-Will. Wade may be creaky, but he is still Wade and the Heat are reigning champs, so he will be tough to beat.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm not trying to say that Deron Williams is a bum here, but has anyone else noticed that he hasn't really been in the conversation as the league's best point guard since he got Jerry Sloan fired from Utah?

How long is he going to be able to use the move to New Jersey/Brooklyn as an excuse for not playing up to the level that he did under Sloan for the Jazz?

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson