Author Topic: Sen. Ben Affleck? Fearing loss of Mass. Senate seat, Democrats scramble.  (Read 1780 times)

Offline JSD

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1132
As you may have heard, actor/director Ben Affleck visited Capitol Hill this week to testify about violence in Congo. But the real news for political junkies was that he didn’t totally, 100 percent, flat-out deny that he might be interested in running for the Massachusetts Senate seat that would become vacant if – as looks likely – Sen. John Kerry (D) is tapped to succeed Hillary Rodham Clinton as the next secretary of State.

Asked about the possibility, according to Politico, Mr. Affleck responded: “That’s not what I’m here to talk about.”

The point being, of course, that he didn’t say “no.” And in Washington, anything less than a Shermanesque “I will not run even if you promise to somehow round up and destroy all existing copies of ‘Gigli’ ” statement is seen as "leaving the door open." Adding to the intrigue, Affleck met privately with Senator Kerry during his visit.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/Decoder-Wire/2012/1220/Sen.-Ben-Affleck-Fearing-loss-of-Mass.-Senate-seat-Democrats-scramble

Def a move that would give Scott Brown a run for his money.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 3401
  • Yup ya do
Hmmm

Yeh, he'd probably have a decent shot at it if he put his heart into it.

2017 PAPOUG CHAMPION

Offline Cman

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 13
Huh? No way that happens.
Plenty of pols ready to step up: Lynch, Capuano to name two. Kennedy an outside possibility.

Oh, and the quote doesn't match the thread title. But the title is provocative that's for sure.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline pearljammer10

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 845
I hate the media speculating a comment and twisting it into nothing
CB Draft 2016:
PG:Tony Parker/Mo Williams
SG:Alec Burks/Manu Ginobili
SF:Al Farouq-Aminu/Jared Dudley/Tony Snell
PF:Dirk Nowitzki/JaMychal Green
C: Deandre Jordan/Roy Hibbert/Alex Len

Offline KGs Knee

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1179
Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2345
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think he'd make a great politician. It's hardly a new game for an actor to throw his hat in the ring.

I honestly doubt that he'd be an incapable senator either. He's a liberal, and that's cool with me.

I'd vastly prefer Matt Damon though (said everyone about everything). *

*Ben doesn't deserve that tired joke. As Sout Park aptly highlighted, Argo and The Town (and Im told, gone baby gone, although I skipped that one) showed us that the old 'Matt was the brains' troupe doesn't hold water.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Celtics4ever

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1042
Won't they just crank out a Kennedy to run against Brown?

Offline slamtheking

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 8860
Won't they just crank out a Kennedy to run against Brown?
the only one that seems interested in public office just won a House Seat.  Oddly enough I saw him this week in the Copley Mall.  The dude is tall and doesn't look as douchy as the other Kennedy's when seen up close.

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I could see Patrick Kennedy moving back to MA to run for Senate. 

Ben Affleck running for US Senate would be a perfect storm of celebrity, entertainment and politics.  This has to happen just for my entertainment value.