Author Topic: Darko (merged)  (Read 4904 times)

Re: Please Doc, set Darko free!
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I don't think you can call Darko's pre-season tremendous, but it's pretty clear that Doc came into this season even more committed than ever to small ball, so it didn't take much for Darko to find himself exiled to the bench alongside Collins.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 05:05:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Darko is not walking through that door!

He was mediocre and has been mediocre his whole career.

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Darko is not walking through that door!

He was mediocre and has been mediocre his whole career.

And a mediocre center would be like an all-star compared to what we have now.

Mike

Re: Darko......
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
You guys sound like Washington pols looking to address the deficit: since no individual cuts can balance the budget, why should they bother to make any at all?

Yeah, unless Darko has some deep dark behavioral secret we don't know about, I think Doc should have done more to integrate him into play once he recovered from injury--and kept him in Boston.  He'd be a decent backup center with the toughness, beef and intelligence that we are lacking there.

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
You guys sound like Washington pols looking to address the deficit: since no individual cuts can balance the budget, why should they bother to make any at all?

Yeah, unless Darko has some deep dark behavioral secret we don't know about, I think Doc should have done more to integrate him into play once he recovered from injury--and kept him in Boston.  He'd be a decent backup center with the toughness, beef and intelligence that we are lacking there.

I think that after those losses, when a thread comes up saying "who still thinks Cs should have run him out of town like we did?" it seems like the thread is saying things would be different with Darko.

Atleast that's how it comes off to me.

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 05:48:33 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Doc...the only way i can understand him, is to think..he only undersands basketball as a guard......hence he cares little for rebounds and big men type players/plays...! Yes, rondo and kg do alley-oop, but kg runs this team sorta anyway..we know that from the years, when kg was out, what happened.....Darko and kg, at the same time....IF doc understood traditional bball....kg posts on one side, darko goes in and out on the other...for the REBOUND.....before ANYONE shoots, big man under the hoop...THIS is a CLASSIC rule...NEVER SHOOT UNLESS SOMEONE IS UNDER THE HOOP......!!! Darko should be in there...but doc has sat amny a player....why....who yet knows.....!

Perfect thought. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
In the preseason Dario was the second biggest difference maker after KG defensively.  When he or KG was on the court, we were usually playing winning basketball.

When he was on the court he gave us size, strength, shotblocking, rebounding and hustle.  Those are things we are sorely lacking this season when KG sits, and while Dario may not have been starter material, he'd have been an absolutely perfect substitute center.

With Darko gone the next player we have who could give us some of those things is Fab Melo.   If we want any hope of improvement without a major trade, it unfortunately tests on Fan's shoulders. We NEED a big who is a shotblocking threat and who can defend the paint when KG sits.  If we cam get that, then the return of Bradly should help with the rest.

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 05:57:35 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
who still thinks Cs should have run him out of town like we did?

I don't think anybody ran him out of town.  If a factor in Darko's leaving was that he couldn't accept not automatically being guaranteed rotation minutes from the get-go, then I say "see ya, Darko, and good luck in Europe." 

I did like the Darko signing when it happened, but one of the big issues was always his attitude, and if he thinks he has ever accomplished anything to be guaranteed minutes, then he's completely clueless. 

I'm sure he could have earned those minutes, but he'd rather shuffle back off to Serbia than stay and work and prove himself.

Oh well.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Doc...the only way i can understand him, is to think..he only undersands basketball as a guard......hence he cares little for rebounds and big men type players/plays...! Yes, rondo and kg do alley-oop, but kg runs this team sorta anyway..we know that from the years, when kg was out, what happened.....Darko and kg, at the same time....IF doc understood traditional bball....kg posts on one side, darko goes in and out on the other...for the REBOUND.....before ANYONE shoots, big man under the hoop...THIS is a CLASSIC rule...NEVER SHOOT UNLESS SOMEONE IS UNDER THE HOOP......!!! Darko should be in there...but doc has sat amny a player....why....who yet knows.....!

Perfect thought. :)

if glenn actually thinks this way he is not a  good coach and we are in deep deep trouble.  :-[
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
mediocre center would be like an all-star compared to what we have now.

Mediocre might have been too generous on my part. 

6 PPG and 4 RPG in 18 MPG  on 45% FG.  Yeah, you can pencil in another banner with those career averages, get real!

If he was so good how come he could not crack the lineup?

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
His pic is in the dictionary next to draft bust and chronic underachiever.   

I have never thought much of his game.  DET, MEM, MIN, ORL, NYK and BOS didn't either, career journeyman.  I can't believe folks are thinking he could have helped us.  He could not even break in the lineup.

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2012, 07:57:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can't believe folks are thinking he could have helped us.

Some folks realize this guy is our starting center:

... and think that possibly, Darko could have provided better than 1.5 points, 1.8 rebounds and 29% shooting as a starter.  That's without even mentioning the team's 3-8 record in games Collins appears in (2-4 as a starter.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2012, 08:08:45 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
6 PPG and 4 RPG in 18 MPG  on 45% FG.  Yeah, you can pencil in another banner with those career averages, get real!

That's somewhere between double and quadruple the production we're currently getting from our starting center.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I can't believe folks are thinking he could have helped us.

Some folks realize this guy is our starting center:

... and think that possibly, Darko could have provided better than 1.5 points, 1.8 rebounds and 29% shooting as a starter.  That's without even mentioning the team's 3-8 record in games Collins appears in (2-4 as a starter.)

But, Darko left the team well before that guy became the starter.  Who knows, if he'd stuck around maybe Darko would have been our starter right now?

He didn't stick around, though.  I'm supposed to be mad at Doc for not babying Darko more and giving him some more minutes to make him feel weally, weally good about himself?

Sorry.  Maybe Darko really did leave to tend to his sick mother.  If so, good for him.  Way to be a family man.  If he left partially in a huff over playing time, I blame nobody but Darko.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Darko (merged)
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I've seen this Philosophy in coaching and management one time before durig the latter Paterno years at Penn State(yes I'm a fan).  Sticking with what you know, only change when your forced to, misuse good talent, deemed successful only through the heart and dedication of the team which equals mediocrity 80% of the time and a fanbase making excuses and hoping for next year to be better.  Not a place to be.  Celtics need a change in philosophy..now