Author Topic: Sources: Lakers very interested in Josh Smith  (Read 6393 times)

Re: Sources: Lakers very interested in Josh Smith
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 11:36:39 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I will be very upset if they get Smith without Gasol. Not to mention they used up all their 1st rounders for Dwight (correct me if I'm wrong).

If they don't use either, I'm assuming theyre offering scrubs which will upset me even more if the trade goes through.

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »

Offline daveh51292

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Reminds me of a Mad Men quote:

"There are snakes that go months without eating, and then they finally catch something, but they're so hungry that they suffocate while they're eating."

One opportunity at a time Mitch.

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
What's up with this trade anyways?

Let me preface by saying I haven't watched the Lakers much this year. But isn't Gasol a better player than Smith? What I've read is that Nash needs a running mate but 1) he's hurt right now and 2) he should be able to adapt to the talent around him if he's a great player (which I think he is).

Gasol isn't as good a transition player as Smith and doesn't create for himself as well in 1-on-1 situations, but LA doesn't need that. If they need someone to go 1-on-1 they have Kobe, Nash, and Howard (when he's up against a mismatch). And they aren't built to be a transition team even if they get Smith (Metta ain't running, Kobe will get a flat, and Howard is coming off surgery).

All they have to do is give the ball to Nash, let him call the shots, make sure Kobe's ego gets fed, tweak the defense so Howard can cover up for Nash, and wait for things to gel. I'm pumped that they're going to ruin this opportunity (and probably already have by not going with Phil). They have a bunch of complementary parts (except Kobe who doesn't fit with anyone) and are wasting them. At least in Boston only the fans are panicking.
"Suit up every day."

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 03:42:10 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Gasol doesn't really help Atlanta any more then smith. Still mediocre and not good enough to win multiple playoff series.

In the NBA you either contend, be really bad to acquire assets to eventually contend, or be a desirable big market lucky enough to sign a premiere free agent.

For Atlanta their only chance is to be bad a few years and acquire assets. Then flip those players into a couple studs they can put around horford.

Atlanta was close before, the primes and talents of their big three - Johnson, smith, and horford - never quite aligned though to make them a real legitimate threat.

Gasol at 32 doesn't help Atlanta at all unless he gets them more assets then smith could, hence needing a third team.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 03:47:26 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Not even remotely likely to happen. 

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
For Atlanta their only chance is to be bad a few years and acquire assets. Then flip those players into a couple studs they can put around horford.

Arguably, Horford is too good for that strategy and if the Hawks want to be bad for a few years, they should trade Horford, in addition to Smith.

If the Hawks wanted to be bad, they only have $21.5m committed to salaries for next season and could handle taking on some bad contracts in exchange for draft picks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Not sure I get why the Fakers who are in MORE of a win-now mode than us, would give up Gasol for Smith. Makes no sense to me.

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Not sure I get why the Fakers who are in MORE of a win-now mode than us, would give up Gasol for Smith. Makes no sense to me.

Because Gasol is an awful fit in 7 seconds or less. Josh Smith on the other hand gives Mikey D wood playing the 4 in that system.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2012, 04:42:52 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224541/Sources_Lakers_Have_Had_Internal_Discussions_On_Pursuing_Josh_Smith

Makes a tonne of sense. Although the Atlanta has apparently said they have 'zero interest' in a package around Gasol.

No chance of that happening, so I wonder what it would take to get Smith if we wanted him?

We may have to give up more than we bargained for....

Never say "no chance of that happening". The Lakers always come up with miraculous moves.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2012, 04:43:38 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Not even remotely likely to happen.

Like the Gasol trade 5 years ago and the Nash signing?
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Very simple. If the Lakers want someone they get them. Lebron will be there in 2014 too.

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 05:19:42 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Very simple. If the Lakers want someone they get them. Lebron will be there in 2014 too.

yup....the only thing that will keep him in Miami is possibly Pat Riley .

I still say Spobote is a useless coach. And James wouldn't stay becasue of Spobote

Lakers are like little children... everytime a new toy comes out they MUST have it or whine , moan and cry

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
It would warm my heart to see the Lakers miss the playoffs for a decade and then mire in mediocrity.

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 05:38:42 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
If they have no interest in Pau Gasol, they must be looking for a rebuilding type trade.

(1) A long term (young) building block to replace Josh Smith.
(2) Maintain or improve cap flexibility + add draft picks

It doesn't look like Ainge can offer either. Need to be a three team deal.

Maybe, we could get away with Avery+Sully+Bass+picks or Green thrown in there instead of Avery.
We are going to have to roll the dice at some point.

Why are we going to have to roll the dice at some point? We're 6-4 after 10 games. Why does a trade HAVE to happen? Especially if we're playing really well by trade deadline? Also id rather keep avery bradley over jeff green.

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think, Gasol would help us wonder if we could package some assets to get him.  Green for a start and some pieces.  I would even throw in some picks.  Doubt we could do it though.