Author Topic: "Biggest" show wrestlers ever  (Read 10615 times)

"Biggest" show wrestlers ever
« on: November 17, 2012, 02:15:14 AM »

Kiorrik

So, I'm not from a country where wrestling is big, but I've seen a few matches. My favorite guys are mostly oldschool, like Jushin Thunder Lyger, the Road Warriors, Mick Foley (cactus/dude/mankind/etc), Macho, Andre, Bret Hart, etc.

So, I was wondering who most of you consider to be the biggest wrestling star.

I guess it's the Hulk at number one? Maybe the Rock, the Undertaker?

Anyway, I'm just looking to see some epic battles, for the heck of it, after seeing The Rock's hall of fame speech a few minutes ago :p

Re: "Biggest" show wrestlers ever
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:46:30 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Some of the modern era guys aren't too bad, but for the best ever flip a coin between Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:36:31 AM »

Kiorrik

Really? Steve Austin the biggest ever?

Hm. See, I do miss out, not living in the US.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »

fitzhickey

I'm going off topic, but I say the toughest meanest wrestler ever was meng. Biting noses off and gouging a guys eye out. Kinda crazy

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 05:32:36 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The biggest (stardom wise) are:
(in order)

Hogan
Austin
Rock
Cena is a very close 4th

and I want to put Ultimate Warrior here, but he kinda messed himself before he got there, but he was really close too.

Those 4 above made Vince a TON of money.

While everyone can argue that HBK, Bret, Taker, HHH, Savage, CM Punk, nWo guys, Andre are big stars as well, they really did not globally made an impact outside of wrestling unlike the other 4.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 05:41:49 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:00:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hogan and it's not even close on the others.  Man had a charisma in the ring that was uncanny.

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Hogan and Ultimate Warrior are both one dimensional, if you've seen one of their matches then you've seen them all. Guys like Ric Flair, HHH, the Rock and Taker have had better careers than both of them.

I'd say that Stone Cold has had the highest peak of any wrestler in modern memory, but HBK has been the greatest influence on how wrestling has evolved from the cartoonish 80s to what it is at present.

WWE peaked in the attitude era and hasn't returned to the same heights, primarily because Vince is still obsessed in making the whole thing mainstream.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 07:47:18 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Hogan and Ultimate Warrior are both one dimensional, if you've seen one of their matches then you've seen them all. Guys like Ric Flair, HHH, the Rock and Taker have had better careers than both of them.

I'd say that Stone Cold has had the highest peak of any wrestler in modern memory, but HBK has been the greatest influence on how wrestling has evolved from the cartoonish 80s to what it is at present.

WWE peaked in the attitude era and hasn't returned to the same heights, primarily because Vince is still obsessed in making the whole thing mainstream.

I remember Warrior doing promos againts Hogan, I was like "what the F did he just say."

Ring wise Warrior and Hogan are indeed, but they drew the biggest money, the largest crowd, the most interest during their mini feud.

Your stuff with HBK is spot on, but he wasnt the biggest star outside of mainstream. I mean, even their grand mama's knew who Hogan and Warrior was. Austin is popular even amongst non wrestling fans, I can remember those Austin 3:16 shirts already. So as Rock and slowly getting there is Cena. HBK is by far the best in ring performer I have ever seen, but I don't think he's the biggest star. He wasn't drawing that much interest outside of wrestling, so I won't put him as one of the biggest star.

To us wrestling fans though, I'd say he is.

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 01:19:18 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm going off topic, but I say the toughest meanest wrestler ever was meng. Biting noses off and gouging a guys eye out. Kinda crazy

You, my friend, need to youtube some of Abdullah the Butcher's matches.  He was the definition of crazy.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 02:09:42 AM »

Kiorrik

Where does Goldberg rate anyway? He was pretty big back when I was watching :') His undefeated streak and the jackhammer/spear.

I recall playing as Goldberg most of the time in WCW NWO Revenge on the N64 ;)

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 02:56:21 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Hulk is probably the biggest show wrestler, but he couldn't hold a candle to The Nature Boy, Ricky SteamBoat, Baron Von Raski, The Iron Sheik, Black Jack Mulligan, JYD, lol...

Now THOSE were the days right there. ;D

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 03:32:51 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Ricky Steamboat was fantastic in the ring.  Dude could make any match great.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 05:37:26 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Where does Goldberg rate anyway? He was pretty big back when I was watching :') His undefeated streak and the jackhammer/spear.

The streak kind of killed him. It went too long and when he "lost" (Nash booked the angle, what do we expect), he lost all his momentum.

He was big but, after that cattle prod incident, he became just one of the stars, not the big star. Not to mention his ugly run in WWE. And his lack of interest in wrestling to continue on.

Goldberg to me is just a flash in the pan. A long one, but still is.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 05:59:43 AM »

Kiorrik

The streak kind of killed him. It went too long and when he "lost" (Nash booked the angle, what do we expect), he lost all his momentum.

He was big but, after that cattle prod incident, he became just one of the stars, not the big star. Not to mention his ugly run in WWE. And his lack of interest in wrestling to continue on.

Fairly entertaining one too.

But yeh, I can see what you siad there.

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 06:05:57 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Fairly entertaining one too.

But yeh, I can see what you siad there.

Oh yeah, he was perfectly booked. But he should've lost one match before the streak went to 150 or something. They would've booked him for a championship match and gets screwed either by nWo or outside interference, keeping his monster character intact and at the same time, giving him more booking options storyline wise.

And WCW blew that Championship thing, big time. That would have been record breakin PPV sells, instead the gave it to us for free on Nitro, just so they can beat RAW. Hey, I'm not complaining though, but that's one thing they blew big time.