Author Topic: Sullinger's rebounding  (Read 4187 times)

Sullinger's rebounding
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Sullinger hasnt really been hauling in boards recently. The first few games of the season he was pulling in about 7 a game but recently he hasnt really been beasting.
Has anyone noticed if hes been boxing his man out? Has he been in position? Are people just jumping over him?
Obviously hes a rookie and will get stronger but what do you guys see in the recent games?

Re: Sullinger's rebounding
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:03:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Team's are attacking him defensively and it often is pulling him out of rebounding position.

He's also playing a heck of a lot less minutes, that's the biggest reason.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Team's are attacking him defensively and it often is pulling him out of rebounding position.

He's also playing a heck of a lot less minutes, that's the biggest reason.

Ditto

Cant rebound if he aint on the court
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 04:19:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
To control for variance in minutes, you should look at his rebounding rate.  Is it a problem that in his last three games he's pulled down 3 rebounds in a combined 36ish minutes of play?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I've seen bits and parts of the games so far but I have been disappointed in Sully's rebounding so far. Too passive. Not enough aggressiveness on the boards. Doesn't pursue the ball consistently. Waits for it.

Sullinger looks like a lost puppy out there. Defensively, offensively and in terms of rebounding. Lacks confidence and isn't playing with purpose. Needs to become more assertive on the court.

Not making enough plays off the ball. Too passive. Only gets aggressive when he touches the ball. Needs to do more work off the ball.

There is talent there ... but it's not coming out because he's playing scared / passively.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I've seen bits and parts of the games so far but I have been disappointed in Sully's rebounding so far. Too passive. Not enough aggressiveness on the boards. Doesn't pursue the ball consistently. Waits for it.

Sullinger looks like a lost puppy out there. Defensively, offensively and in terms of rebounding. Lacks confidence and isn't playing with purpose. Needs to become more assertive on the court.

Not making enough plays off the ball. Too passive. Only gets aggressive when he touches the ball. Needs to do more work off the ball.

There is talent there ... but it's not coming out because he's playing scared / passively.

This post made me think of Avery Bradley at this time last year. Its tough for these kids, they obviously have tons of talent, but they're not going to get a ton of minutes to make those rookie mistakes and learn from them - not on a team with championship aspirations.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
probally having to "THINK " to much as he is trying to remember his defensive assignments,  thus messing up his instictive rebounding and timing.

He was probally playing HIS old game , the first games and now Doc wants him to become more defense first oriented. AND NOT FOUL OUT  ;D

He is also being less aggressive , to keep from fouling out  ;D

He has to learn and study the players/opponents and know their games inside and out , their strenghts and weaknesses. So next time he meets them , maybe he does better .  Learn what he can get away with in the NBA with refs , players and then assert his game.

ALso look at the baptism under fire , meeting the HEAT in his first game :o wow...I can't imagine that being 20year old., bunch of 7 footers , ect...alot adjustments to make .

GIve him time. AL Jefferson didn't learn all his moves in the first three weeks of the NBA career ..did he ?

He is a ROOKIE  ;D    he is trying to HELP and not get in the way at the same time or make too many mistakes..

He probally never though the competition would be this hard either. ;)

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:03:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
There is a reason he dropped to us, too.  It was more than his back, lack of athletic ability and size are a problem for him as well.   I think he will succeed thought despite this because he has a good head on  his shoulders and over half the game is mental.   Many have overcome physical issues but it is hard to overcome mental issues.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 08:59:15 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
DOC still runs this team..and he has shown rebounders sit...he doesn't care for them, and never did......watch when the C's put up a shot, the whole team turns and runs before the ball even hits the rim....THIS is NOT natural basketball.....in college, the coach would kill you......it is DOC's way......WHY.....he knows no better...and won't learn or listen....besides, he was signed to 5 years....so he thinks his way is right....as if he SHouldn't have won MORE than ONE championship with that team.....then he sits rookies, or anyone besides rondo who rebounds...rondo usually gets more than anyone...why...he cannot be benched.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 09:33:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
KG and Rondo were the only good rebounders we ever possessed under Doc.  Shaq and Jermaine were good back in the day but damaged goods here.  It's hard to board when your shooting jumpers and this is a big part of the problem.

We do spread the floor and get back on D as top priorities both of which systematically hurt our rebounding.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've noticed his minutes are way down.  I think Doc is screwing over Sully and the team as well.  Stick the kid in there Doc tell him to rebound rebound rebound and let him play for 30 mins.  Sometimes I think Doc is an idiot.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 09:21:19 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I've noticed his minutes are way down.  I think Doc is screwing over Sully and the team as well.  Stick the kid in there Doc tell him to rebound rebound rebound and let him play for 30 mins.  Sometimes I think Doc is an idiot.

He is god awful on defense at the moment, and Wilcox has been much better.

The rule on this team has always been play defense to see the floor if your a Rookie.

The good news is I don't think it's an effort thing, I just think he's learning NBA defense so I expect his minutes to go up as the year goes on and he learns.

But as much as I love him on the boards, he is getting destroyed in every P & R at the moment, never mind baseline cuts. he's gotta tighten that up.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
KG and Rondo were the only good rebounders we ever possessed under Doc.  Shaq and Jermaine were good back in the day but damaged goods here.  It's hard to board when your shooting jumpers and this is a big part of the problem.

We do spread the floor and get back on D as top priorities both of which systematically hurt our rebounding.

You nailed it,  the Celtics SHOOT way TOO many jumpers,  KG will not play INSIDE beat and bang offense.  We have NO inside offensive game ( except Rondo/Wilcox /Sully)  .

We need LARGER /SKILLED/ inside game/   the teams with GOOD BIGS look like they are playing volleyball, with 3-5 offensive shots sometimes , while the Celtics are OUT sized and muscled everywhere but point guard (ROndo) . 

The Celtics GET one chance to score ( one stupid jumper) and out,  while the Grizzles, Lakers , Nets , Jazz, ect play volleyball over the Celtics heads  and KG stands outside and watchs.

We need quality Center to play against the teams with BIG MEN.... Collins an't it.  Sully is a PF . KG is a PF ...we need a freakin CENTER>

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
KG's posted up on about 30% of the shots he's taken this year. That's more than shots he's taken out of pick and roll plays or spot up jump shots.

The idea that he doesn't play inside at all isn't true, it just happens that KGs most common post move is his turn around jumper. Which he makes at a pretty darn good rate, though its a bit down from his norm this year.

Oh and he's shooting over 60% on his spot ups, so its not like he should be shooting less of those.

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »

Offline OmarSekou

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I've actually liked his rebounding. No clue on the numbers but his instincts on offense are great and his sense of space and timing have allowed him to pull down boards. He doesn't have that on defense yet but when he gets comfortable I think those innate skills will transfer over. Might not happen this year, but I think he was a steal if he stays healthy.
"Suit up every day."