Author Topic: This team is crying for a big man!  (Read 3184 times)

This team is crying for a big man!
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Just had to say this.
is anyone else so frustrated w this season's team? talent is so deep, they're all good players but god they're all undersized. Even KG is like an undersized center. I feel for him! Bass and Sully are both undersized jumpshooting 4's. JG is undersized. wilcox is undersized. they're playing hard, but can we really win a championship with only one guy (KG) who could really be considered a genuine inside presence?

apparently based on playing time darko, collins and melo aren't really in the plans.

quality big guys don't just appear so I'm scared we won't get one. It'd be a shame bc I think with just one more real down low presence we'd be a lot better.

do people think danny is planning to make a move or do we think this is the plan - small ball to #18? i just don't see that working out.

Re: This team is crying for a big man!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I said it before the season. Who is going to get us some rebounds?? Same problem as last year. Collins, Darko, and Wilcox couldnt out rebound me!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I said it before the season. Who is going to get us some rebounds?? Same problem as last year. Collins, Darko, and Wilcox couldnt out rebound me!!!

As we saw in the last quarter and a half, this team can rebound...but its a matter of execution and effort.  Their system requires their entire team to be working together to rebound.  Even if they have great rebounders in there, this can still be an issue, if the backside isn't rotating and boxing out, and the perimeter guys are not crashing in to get the long rebounds.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 03:49:22 PM »

Offline Rondooooooooo

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
  • Truth Hurts
i doubt we pick up another big through trades or anything that would actually matter. my guess is doc is going to go through the season w/ this roster and hope that the boxing out improves. we also saw how good of a rebounding team we could be when people started crashing the boards like courtney did last night. i feel like if they were to do that with more bodies and box out even a little the rebounding will come.
"My name is Shaquille O'Neal, and Paul Pierce is the [expletive] truth. Quote me on that, and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »

Offline badshar

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
JG is undersized?
I don't want to say it, but are you stupid?

Jeff Green is a small forward and he is 6'9. He is among the tallest Small Fowards out there.

At least think about what you write before you just blurt out random stuff.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:55:41 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
One thing for certain, our interior d isn't like it used to be. Hope that gets better, or we are going to forced to try and upgrade.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
The C's no doubt didn't rebound well in the 1st half last night, and have rebounded poorly at times this year. However, it's not the case the best teams in the NBA are the best rebounding teams. The Heat, the "team to beat", right now are 29th in rebounding. San Antonio is 24th; NY is 26th; and the Clipper's are 27th.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/rebounds-per-game

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We have not rebounded well for years though...

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 05:19:58 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah, i guess to clarify I meant JG would be an undersized 4 - and is essentially a perimeter player on both ends.
they have somehow managed the last few years while being bad at rebounding but I think interior D is bad - that wizards guy drove from the 3 pt line and dunked in the 4th quarter the other night - and there seems to be no scoring in the paint. 

i thought when they signed collins, darko and drafted melo I was like - ok they're not great but they dont' need to be, but to not even play them at all and go all small ball - i'm worried.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
This team is crying for a big man!

I told you on July the same thing. I proposed DHoward as a example to build a team around a big man. Bur a lot of folks here did not have the same opinion ??? ::)

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Why doesn't Doc just play Darko? I'm confused

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 06:49:16 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I just don't think our "Bigs" problem is as bad as it seems.

As tempting as Josh Smith may be, I'm very hesitant to deplete our roster in order to get him, though.

With that being said, let's not forget One Man Gang just 6 months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BUHk-HhHTs

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cU3jwbg1Po

Look, if we think that KG is going to go ALL OUT - every game, from now until Mid June, that's not going to happen. He will have his spurts where he carries us during the regular season, but our 36 y.o. KG is saving his best for the post-season.

If we get to the post-season relatively healthy, I'm EXTREMELY confident in Playoff KG, Bass, Wilcox, Sully and some contributions from Darko and Collins. This is all we really need.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Additionally, I think this team is crying more for Avery Bradley than a big man.

Plus, can someone PLEASE tell me who "Boo Boo" is, lol..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6VTC8ekbWU&feature=related

This team is fine. I'm not going to pieces over the BKN game.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
as long as doc is in love with his small ball we don't need another big man warming up the seat. true story

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 07:28:30 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Just had to say this.
is anyone else so frustrated w this season's team? talent is so deep, they're all good players but god they're all undersized. Even KG is like an undersized center. I feel for him! Bass and Sully are both undersized jumpshooting 4's. JG is undersized. wilcox is undersized. they're playing hard, but can we really win a championship with only one guy (KG) who could really be considered a genuine inside presence?

apparently based on playing time darko, collins and melo aren't really in the plans.

quality big guys don't just appear so I'm scared we won't get one. It'd be a shame bc I think with just one more real down low presence we'd be a lot better.

do people think danny is planning to make a move or do we think this is the plan - small ball to #18? i just don't see that working out.

The differential in rebounds between the first and second halves yesterday showed it is more of a system thing than a personnel thing. Once the players got a spray from the coach they responded.

Besides the guy who killed us in the UTAH game with his hustle was millsap, who is all of 6'8". Kenneth Faried is one of the league's best rebounders and he is drastically undersized. The reason he does so well is because he puts all his effort into it.

This team full of proud veterans doesn't seem to care about rebounding, and therefore we get murdered on the glass. It's like their saying "I want to go shoot jumpshots so a rookie should go get my rebound for me." Except there are no rookies on the floor.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?