Poll

What do you think would've been best, considering talent, fit, and salary/cap flexibility?

Quisy for the minimum for one year
Lee for $5M for 3 years

Author Topic: Lee vs. Quisy for roster spot  (Read 1516 times)

Lee vs. Quisy for roster spot
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Hey, folks.

It seems like teams rise or fall not so much on their stars (though every team needs them), but on the pieces around them working/fitting.  Role players make a huge difference.

I'm not sure that Lee is a 5X better fit/talent than Quisy, expecially for the money and years.

What do you think?  I can't decide.

Re: Lee vs. Quisy for roster spot
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Love myself some Quisy but Lee is overall better and brings more to the table. Lee is a much better shooter and he can still get to the basket. He is faster and probably a quicker defender than Quisy. Quisy seems a bit strong but not as quick with his feet, and I miss Quisy's quirky jerky moves to the basket.

Overall Lee is a better player, and also more attractive in a trade, so I'll take him for the three years.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm not sure that Lee is a 5X better fit/talent than Quisy, expecially for the money and years.

I don't think that there's a linear relationship between money and talent/fit. You can't replace Lee on the floor with 5 of Quisy and play 9v5, so there's a premium on talent.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

I don't think that there's a linear relationship between money and talent/fit. You can't replace Lee on the floor with 5 of Quisy and play 9v5, so there's a premium on talent.

Yeah, there sure as heck isn't a talent/contract formula.  Thank goodness, since it would take the fun out of criticizing contracts.

But since we're up on the hard cap, there are other roster issues that come into play by giving Lee $5M, i.e. no BAE to use while staying under the hard cap.  Also, being for 3 years, we likely only have the mini-MLE next summer instead of the full MLE.

That BAE could also bring another big, for example (pick your fav).

Lee is a better player, gets to the rim, etc., but we now have JET, Green, and Barbosa who can do that.

Tough call...

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Lee brings youth, energy, all kinds of scoring, and defense. AND trade value if need be.

Quisy brings pinch minutes and pretty good defense.

Lee no question for me.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 12:37:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A better question might be Daniels vs Kris Joseph.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
A better question might be Daniels vs Kris Joseph.

Great point-TP.  As a 2nd rounder, he could've been stashed in Italy or something for a year while we kept Quisy to pursue a title.

Still, I'm a bit of a nervous pervis about the cap restrictions we're under.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 12:43:33 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Love myself some Quisy but Lee is overall better and brings more to the table. Lee is a much better shooter and he can still get to the basket. He is faster and probably a quicker defender than Quisy. Quisy seems a bit strong but not as quick with his feet, and I miss Quisy's quirky jerky moves to the basket.

Overall Lee is a better player, and also more attractive in a trade, so I'll take him for the three years.
that just about sums it up for me
marquis has 15' range at the most, Lee (hopefully sometime this season) has 3 pt range
age is a + as well, Lee could improve in his time here, marquis' game is not going to change at this point in his career except go down a notch
I do love that daniels can give you minutes at 3 positions though!

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

You'd rather commit to Lee for 3 than have Quisy + Kenyon Martin for one year, and then use the full MLE next year?

I think if Bradley were heathy and never needed surgery, we don't trade for Lee.  That's my guess.

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Sadly this is closer then it ever should be especially quis pre injury but gotta go with lee

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 08:54:32 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
got screwed in the fisrt place getting stuck with quise instead of Taony Allen....the money quies got that year, was the one more year TA asked for...then TA went to memphis as a great palyer we could have used versus Miami, he shut wade down, gave lebron problems, and NO one ever gave TA a hard time.....he was his own tough......quise is made of paper.....avg role player at best.....no one covered him because he never showed any consistant game..... Lee, is a much better mover, slasher and defender.....

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
a better comparison would be Lee vs. Pietrus IMO.

both are similar players...3 and D.

Quisy really didnt give much to us last year..

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I admit Lee has been slow coming around and who knows what will happen in the future BUT, did you watch the Nets game?  Lee looked great and there is no way Marquis could do the things Lee does.  He couldn't carry his jock.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Love Quisy's game, but courtney Lee he is not , and will never be . Quisy has great confidence and ball control around the bucket and decent "D".   But, Lee is proven 3 point shot , and all around player a notch about Quisy IMO., in most all aspects of the game. at least today.  Quis been hurt too many times and age has taken some of his game away.  He is cool player and I miss him on the Celtics