Author Topic: Hostess Goes out of Business, Strike was the Fatal Blow  (Read 3606 times)

Online LooseCannon

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 600
Re: Hostess Goes out of Business, Strike was the Fatal Blow
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
These workers have been used as punching bags.  Telling them that they should just accept any cuts to keep their jobs is like telling a battered woman that she should stay with her husband because he has a good job that allows him to provide for her.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Rondo2287

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 559
  • Historical Draft Best Overall/Best Defensive team
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »
These workers have been used as punching bags.  Telling them that they should just accept any cuts to keep their jobs is like telling a battered woman that she should stay with her husband because he has a good job that allows him to provide for her.

We should just pay for their retirements now.  They are victims for having to work for a living. 
Indiana CB Draft, Kevin Durant, Deron Williams, Luis Scola, Robin Lopez, Ray Allen, Elton Brand, Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, Jeff Taylor, Andrew Nicholson, Shaun Livingston, Markieff Morris, Michael Beasley

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »
So here in Maine, the striking workers think it's a good thing that they're all going to lose their jobs?  The "worker vs. corporation" thing is stupid; the workers "won" by being laid off?

It makes no sense to me.

If that doesn't make sense to you, then the notion of "live free or die" shouldn't make sense to you because why would anyone think it is a good thing to die?
Huh?

Live free or die - as a motto, or the historical circumstances it was said - has no relevance to the Hostess workers situation.

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2012, 02:33:20 PM »
What?

Is this sarcastic?

Expecting workers to negotiate salaries on par with their current macro and industry dynamics is like telling a battered woman to suck it up? Except for the workers you know getting paid all the years they worked and of course, not getting beaten.

Offline IndeedProceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1767
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
So here in Maine, the striking workers think it's a good thing that they're all going to lose their jobs?  The "worker vs. corporation" thing is stupid; the workers "won" by being laid off?

It makes no sense to me.

If that doesn't make sense to you, then the notion of "live free or die" shouldn't make sense to you because why would anyone think it is a good thing to die?
Huh?

Live free or die - as a motto, or the historical circumstances it was said - has no relevance to the Hostess workers situation.

I think the connection he was looking for is that maybe for the workers involved, sometimes its worth standing up for what you believe in (in this case, what the workers believe to be fair compensation) even if the cost is your job.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2177
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »
Someone called the workers abused by management.

The problem now is that those workers have to find a job that pays more and is less abusive than the Hostess jobs...in a poor state, in a poor job market.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline IndeedProceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1767
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »

The problem now is that those workers have to find a job that pays more and is less abusive than the Hostess jobs...in a poor state, in a poor job market.

Yes, that is a problem for them. Standing up for what you believe in can have bad consequences sometimes. Its a bill lots of people aren't willing to pay.

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 1871
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2012, 03:07:59 PM »
Why are none of the conservatives posting here responding to guava's claim that the management was taking huge pay increases while asking for the workers to take pay cuts?

Just wondering. Personally, I could care less about the subject so I am not going to research guava's claim, but if true, I could see why the labor union didn't want to give in and I can see why the company went under. Its a poor management decision to take massive bonus' and raises in good years and yet ask just the labor to give back during hard times.
DKC Brooklyn Nets
Pick 2 New Orleans Pelicans
PG: George Hill/Jameer Nelson
SG: Victor Oladipo/Mario Chalmers/Kobe Bryant
SF: Chandler Parsons/P.J. Tucker
PF: Anthony Davis/Brandon Bass/Mike Scott
C: DeAndre Jordan/Enes Kanter

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: -29459
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
Wow...  Comparing being asked to take an 8% pay cut to being a battered woman.  That's a new low.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Sam Jones
  • Tommy Points: -29459
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »
Why are none of the conservatives posting here responding to guava's claim that the management was taking huge pay increases while asking for the workers to take pay cuts?

Just wondering. Personally, I could care less about the subject so I am not going to research guava's claim, but if true, I could see why the labor union didn't want to give in and I can see why the company went under. Its a poor management decision to take massive bonus' and raises in good years and yet ask just the labor to give back during hard times.

I'm no fan of companies crying poverty and then lavishing outrageous salaries on executives.  I just don't see anything noble about purposefully putting a company out of business, and then celebrating that 18,500 people lost their jobs.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

Online LooseCannon

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 600
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »

Yes, that is a problem for them. Standing up for what you believe in can have bad consequences sometimes. Its a bill lots of people aren't willing to pay.

Bain-style capitalism is killing America.  This is class war being waged on the working class and I applaud these workers for recognizing the state of war that is being forced upon them and being willing to shoot back instead of bending over and taking it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2177
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »

I didn't answer, personally, because I have no idea what the management situation is.  I don't see that that has any bearing, except that I feel the stock holders should have final say on that.  I would prefer that profits go to the people who invest in the company and the management should have fair compensation, as should the workers. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »

I didn't answer, personally, because I have no idea what the management situation is.  I don't see that that has any bearing, except that I feel the stock holders should have final say on that.  I would prefer that profits go to the people who invest in the company and the management should have fair compensation, as should the workers.
I agree. Make money for the stockholders. Fairly compensate everyone else. But if corporate greed at the top was siphoning off huge bucks in good years and in bad years were asking for give backs from labor then I'm not for that.

I hate what happened at AIG and some of the banks where stockholders lost huge bucks, layoffs happened like crazy and yet upper corporate types got huge bonuses and golden umbrella retirement walkaways. If management did similar stuff at Hostess, then I guess everyone got what they deserved except the top management walked away a lot richer.
DKC Brooklyn Nets

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 147
  • Word aapp!
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »
I have never had a Twinkie. What did I miss out on?

Online nickagneta

• Bob Cousy
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2012, 08:13:54 PM »
I have never had a Twinkie. What did I miss out on?
Not a whole lot.
DKC Brooklyn Nets

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog