Author Topic: Hostess Goes out of Business, Strike was the Fatal Blow  (Read 4020 times)

Re: Hostess Goes out of Business, Strike was the Fatal Blow
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 07:20:55 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 72
    • Self Assay
The strike might have been the final straw that sent the company under but if the strike didn't happen, Hostess was going to go under sooner or later. Fattening snack food company in a world trending towards health consciousness that was being run poorly.

Sometimes bad companies just need to go out of business and sometimes and doesn't matter how it is done.

There is no good way to spruce up the Twinkie image to the health-conscious consumer (though I think they did offer a reduced fat one at some point).  A whole grain organic free range Twinkie just wasn't going to happen.
Must of America hasn't gone all health conscious just yet.

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 07:31:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 138
The strike might have been the final straw that sent the company under but if the strike didn't happen, Hostess was going to go under sooner or later. Fattening snack food company in a world trending towards health consciousness that was being run poorly.

Sometimes bad companies just need to go out of business and sometimes and doesn't matter how it is done.

There is no good way to spruce up the Twinkie image to the health-conscious consumer (though I think they did offer a reduced fat one at some point).  A whole grain organic free range Twinkie just wasn't going to happen.
Must of America hasn't gone all health conscious just yet.

Apparently enough have to make an industry based entirely around unhealthy snake cakes plummet sales wise over the last 10 years.

People still eat pretty poorly, but I don't think the same amount of people let their kids pound 3-4 twinkees or other sugarrush treats a day as they used to.

People want at least the appearance of food being good for them now days. Example: sales of weight watchers type "healthy snacks" have exploded over the last 2-3 years.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 455
Poor Tallahasee going to have real hard time find twinkies in zombieland 2..

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 07:53:51 PM »

Online KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 755
Poor Tallahasee going to have real hard time find twinkies in zombieland 2..

My first thought too.

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: -29324
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
So bizarre.  Here is a story from my local paper:

Labor leaders in Maine say the resilience of the Hostess workers on the picket line at the company’s Biddeford plant, which is in the process of being shut down after the company on Friday said it would liquidate the business, gives them inspiration in the face of what they believe have been ongoing efforts — by politicians, including Gov. Paul LePage, and corporate investors — to reduce union influence.

Bakers’ union officials and their supporters say also that the demise of Hostess Brands Inc., which failed to convince striking workers to return to their jobs, is a warning sign for corporate investors seeking to squeeze more profits out of the working class.

“Unions have been losing power for years,” said Ken Rumney, a striking worker outside of the Hostess plant in Biddeford on Friday. “This is an exceptional case. If Hostess had been allowed to get away with what they’d been trying to do, other corporations would have lined up to try the same tactics. Hopefully, this will be an example to other companies not to [try to] break their unions.”

“I think we’re the first ones who have stood up and said, ‘We’re not going to let you get away with it,’” said Sue Tapley, the strike captain on hand Friday morning at the Biddeford plant, which employed nearly 600 people. “You can fight them. You can shut them down.”

So here in Maine, the striking workers think it's a good thing that they're all going to lose their jobs?  The "worker vs. corporation" thing is stupid; the workers "won" by being laid off?

It makes no sense to me.

D. Cousins / I. Mahinmi / P. Antic
D. West / R. Anderson / C. Copeland
L. Deng / K. Singler / D. Rudez
A. Iguodala / V. Carter / B. Gordon / C.J. Wilcox
K. Irving / S. Livingston / S. Blake

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2183
Now that Hostess is going under, can the workers claim unemployment benefits, even though they effectively caused the job loss themselves?  I know that an employee used to be unable to claim unemployment benefits if he quit his job, as opposed to being fired, but my knowledge is antiquated.   
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »

Offline mgent

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 607
I laughed when I walked into a gas station at 12 last night and saw a completely empty hostess stand that was full 3 hours prior.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bob Cousy
  • Tommy Points: 2133
  • Yup
    • The Caped Cod
So bizarre.  Here is a story from my local paper:

Labor leaders in Maine say the resilience of the Hostess workers on the picket line at the company’s Biddeford plant, which is in the process of being shut down after the company on Friday said it would liquidate the business, gives them inspiration in the face of what they believe have been ongoing efforts — by politicians, including Gov. Paul LePage, and corporate investors — to reduce union influence.

Bakers’ union officials and their supporters say also that the demise of Hostess Brands Inc., which failed to convince striking workers to return to their jobs, is a warning sign for corporate investors seeking to squeeze more profits out of the working class.

“Unions have been losing power for years,” said Ken Rumney, a striking worker outside of the Hostess plant in Biddeford on Friday. “This is an exceptional case. If Hostess had been allowed to get away with what they’d been trying to do, other corporations would have lined up to try the same tactics. Hopefully, this will be an example to other companies not to [try to] break their unions.”

“I think we’re the first ones who have stood up and said, ‘We’re not going to let you get away with it,’” said Sue Tapley, the strike captain on hand Friday morning at the Biddeford plant, which employed nearly 600 people. “You can fight them. You can shut them down.”

So here in Maine, the striking workers think it's a good thing that they're all going to lose their jobs?  The "worker vs. corporation" thing is stupid; the workers "won" by being laid off?

It makes no sense to me.

Cutting their noses to spite their faces.

GOCELTS

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2012, 11:16:36 AM »

Online LooseCannon

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 701

It makes no sense to me.

If that doesn't make sense to you, then the notion of "live free or die" shouldn't make sense to you because why would anyone think it is a good thing to die?

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 11:20:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 370
  • Anything is possible
No bailout, Obama? Come on...

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 138
You seen Craigslist the last few days?

It is hilarious. Sex acts for Twinkies being offered all over the place, one guy has 100 boxes of twinkies he will sell you for the Low, Low price of 50 thousand dollars.

Never Change internet, Never change.  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2012, 11:59:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: -29324
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

It makes no sense to me.

If that doesn't make sense to you, then the notion of "live free or die" shouldn't make sense to you because why would anyone think it is a good thing to die?

I don't think anybody who chose the "die" option is running around celebrating the message they sent to the killers, and patting themselves on the back.

Also, I'm not sure that an 8% pay cut is worth "dying" for.  Of course, those who "died" also didn't have 99 weeks of unemployment coming their way.

D. Cousins / I. Mahinmi / P. Antic
D. West / R. Anderson / C. Copeland
L. Deng / K. Singler / D. Rudez
A. Iguodala / V. Carter / B. Gordon / C.J. Wilcox
K. Irving / S. Livingston / S. Blake

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 644
Labor had already bent over backwards for Hostess. Management (why did the CEO get a 300% raise from an already failing business?) didn't help and the market was shifting. Labor needs to stand up and not allow management to place the full burden of mismanagement on their backs while CEOs get golden parachutes. It will be interesting seeing which vultures made money off of the failure.

Good riddance that Hostess is gone. I am glad to see America shifting away from this crap to the point that weak junk food competitors are falling by the wayside.

We have a sick management model in the US. A good year means bonuses for upper management. A bad year means cutting compensation for labor. Something is off, and it might have to do with who holds power instead of with who adds value to a business.

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2183

It makes no sense to me.

I am from NH...it is not good to die, but it is better than to live in chains.  So, I guess those employees think it is better to have no job than to have a bad job.  They got what they wanted.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 644

It makes no sense to me.

I am from NH...it is not good to die, but it is better than to live in chains.  So, I guess those employees think it is better to have no job than to have a bad job.  They got what they wanted.
Perhaps their concern was that labor was always asked to make the concession to keep Hostess afloat while they gave big raises to CEOs whose leadership clearly wasn't reviving the company. Why should austerity measures be imposed by managers hypocritically siphoning off money?

Hello! Guest

Welcome to the CelticsBlog Forums.

Welcome to CelticsBlog