Author Topic: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player  (Read 26913 times)

Re: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player
« Reply #195 on: December 01, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
easily the 3-4 best player on this team and an absolute steal at 8 million. one poor game doesn't take away from his inspiring play thus far. dont forget he had 17 against his former team. off the bench too and off heart surgery.

Green has aabout 3 poor games and one good game, not even close to a steal for 9 million

« Reply #196 on: December 01, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
easily the 3-4 best player on this team and an absolute steal at 8 million. one poor game doesn't take away from his inspiring play thus far. dont forget he had 17 against his former team. off the bench too and off heart surgery.

Green has aabout 3 poor games and one good game, not even close to a steal for 9 million

I am not a Green defender or anything, but for the sake of accuracy, let's look at his game logs.

It is tough to really define what  a "good" game is versus a bad one, but I gave it a shot.

Here are his good games this season:

19 pts / 3 rebounds / 2 assists / 4 steals / 1 block (vs Portland)
17 pts / 2 rebounds / 1 steal / 1 block (vs OKC)
9 pts / 2 rebounds / 2 assists (vs Toronto)
16 pts / 4 rebounds / 2 assists (vs Utah)
7 pts / 5 rebounds (vs Chicago, only 15 minutes of action)
12 pts / 3 rebounds / 1 steal / 2 blocks (vs Milwaukee)
11 pts / 2 rebounds / 1 steal (vs Washington)
11 pts / 1 rebound / 2 steals / 1 block (vs. Milwaukee)

So that's 8 good games by my fairly arbitrary standards. In these 8 games, he is averaging:

12.75 pts / 2.75 rebounds / .75 assists / 1.125 steals / .625 blocks

In his other 8 games, the bad ones, he is averaging

4 pts / 2.4 rebounds / .75 assists / .125 steals / .375 blocks

The Celtics are 7-1 in Jeff's good games, and 2-6 in his bad games.

« Reply #197 on: December 01, 2012, 09:01:16 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

saying random things doesn't make them true, see above for  worthwhile analysis by RyNye.

He's been playing much better recently, the problem is he is inconsistent. If he can start stringing together performances like last night, He'll start earning his keep.

We'll see if he can keep it going tonight vs the bucks.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2012, 09:25:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

I am not a Green defender or anything, but for the sake of accuracy, let's look at his game logs.

It is tough to really define what  a "good" game is versus a bad one, but I gave it a shot.

So that's 8 good games by my fairly arbitrary standards. In these 8 games, he is averaging:

Basically this proves the controversy , when he plays up to his potiential , the C's have a very good chance of winning most games , when he takes the night off , the Celtics really struggle. He was bought in to provide a significant "Punch" on  offense to help offset Pierces aging body and output.   

AS important as alot of other players are,  so is Green ...without playing well...this team is gonna be hard pressed to win alot of games.

We gotta "HOPE" he continues to play well...if not his salary is too high for only playing well 50% of the time.  Danny will trade him , and try and get more value from another player.   

« Reply #199 on: December 01, 2012, 09:30:42 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Basically this proves the controversy , when he plays up to his potiential , the C's have a very good chance of winning most games , when he takes the night off , the Celtics really struggle. He was bought in to provide a significant "Punch" on  offense to help offset Pierces aging body and output.   

AS important as alot of other players are,  so is Green ...without playing well...this team is gonna be hard pressed to win alot of games.

We gotta "HOPE" he continues to play well...if not his salary is too high for only playing well 50% of the time.  Danny will trade him , and try and get more value from another player.

The problem is that we shouldn't have to rely on Green to win games, when he plays well is a bonus, a bonus I'd like to see being consistent, but not a necessity. That apparently we're needing his production to win games is more troubling to me than whether Green is playing well or not. This team has a lot of good and productive players, and that we're struggling is a sign of something broken in the system that needs fixing.

« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I think you could do the same sort of analysis with Terry so far this year.  He has been up and down as well (lee as well)

« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
He needs to get much more nasty on the boards on a regular basis.

We know he can score, get steals and a block or two.

He must begin to rebound like Pierce.

« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

great post rynye. thanks. this really does show how inconsistent green has been this season, much like the celtics as a team i think.

i looked over the game logs for green and there is no real pattern that i could see either. a seemingly random mix of good games and bad games.

hopefully, this inconsistency is due to the surgery and missing a year and that as he gets more game time he will be more consistent and perhaps even improve his stats. i hope.

but i liked about his game recently is that more and more he seems to be aggressive with the ball on both offense and on defense. he has talent, i hope he can really use it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

I think you could do the same sort of analysis with Terry so far this year.  He has been up and down as well (lee as well)

Terry has been consistent this year. Hes probably only had a couple of off shooting nights total. Their have been games where he didn't shoot much but when he does shoot he shoots well. I can't complain about terry at all.

« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Speaking of, I notced against OKC that Jeff had some nice footwork when looking to score.  Wish he showed that more instead of going with the drive-right thing all the time. 

It's like he's used to playing PF and just going by bigger/slower players to the lane.  He's going to need to keep working on the footwork and pull-up to reach his potential as a SF.  Pierce is the perfect tutor, but it will take time.

I still like the guy.  Reminds me of a less-talented #35 when Bird was still around, trying to figure out where to fit in and not sure what "his" game was, except Green is struggling a bit more due to the position change.  It's really a different game at SF.

« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Speaking of, I notced against OKC that Jeff had some nice footwork when looking to score.  Wish he showed that more instead of going with the drive-right thing all the time. 

It's like he's used to playing PF and just going by bigger/slower players to the lane.  He's going to need to keep working on the footwork and pull-up to reach his potential as a SF.  Pierce is the perfect tutor, but it will take time.

I still like the guy.  Reminds me of a less-talented #35 when Bird was still around, trying to figure out where to fit in and not sure what "his" game was, except Green is struggling a bit more due to the position change.  It's really a different game at SF.

I hope you aren't implying that Jeff Green is more talented than Reggie Lewis.  Beyond his rookie season, Reggie Lewis was an impact player from the start.  I think you are remembering him incorrectly, unless there was a #35 before him that is slipping my mind.

« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I hope you aren't implying that Jeff Green is more talented than Reggie Lewis.  Beyond his rookie season, Reggie Lewis was an impact player from the start.  I think you are remembering him incorrectly, unless there was a #35 before him that is slipping my mind.

Sorry for the unclear reference.  Green as a less-talented version of the inexperienced Lewis. 

Green has also has spent his early NBA years not learning his natural position.

Reggie had the advantage of playing his formative years at the right position, but was trying to fit around established stars for a couple of years, even while Bird was out. 

Green, while less talented, has always had to fit around stars, taking the ball out of his hands offensively, relegating him to the corner, and putting him at a disadvantage defensively. 

Now, he has to learn the tricks of the SF position while using a more diverse range of skills (the footwork, the pull-up, going left), but still without the ball in his hands.  Even on the bench, as we generally envision it, we have both Terry and Green who need the ball, and usually a starter out there with them.

And we want Green to be more aggressive...

« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

The problem is that we shouldn't have to rely on Green to win games, when he plays well is a bonus, a bonus I'd like to see being consistent, but not a necessity. That apparently we're needing his production to win games is more troubling to me than whether Green is playing well or not. This team has a lot of good and productive players, and that we're struggling is a sign of something broken in the system that needs fixing.
At that salary, he should be relied on.  He is supposed to be a major piece, not a minimum salary guy who occasionally plays a role.

On another note, it might be sacreligious to say on this blog, but I think Green is more talented than Reggie Lewis, as far as physical tools and certain offensive skills.  If Green had Lewis' mind and motor he would be lethal.

« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

At that salary, he should be relied on.  He is supposed to be a major piece, not a minimum salary guy who occasionally plays a role.

On another note, it might be sacreligious to say on this blog, but I think Green is more talented than Reggie Lewis, as far as physical tools and certain offensive skills.  If Green had Lewis' mind and motor he would be lethal.

Salary is completely irrelevant. We had money, he was the best choice for the price, we spent it. The alternative was no Jeff Green, and no replacement other than a minimum alternative, so there's really not a point to be made about being someone to rely on or not based on salary.

« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING

Salary is completely irrelevant. We had money, he was the best choice for the price, we spent it.
Salary is very relevant. Might not be relevant in baseball but definitely in basketball with the cap.Also, if you overpay a player, it'll be almost impossible to move him.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG