Author Topic: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player  (Read 26784 times)

Re: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player
« Reply #165 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
From Forsberg (Doc on the Magic game):

"I thought Jeff played great, he just didn’t score," Rivers said. "He blocked shots, rebounded -- just played a good floor game for us. He just missed some makeable shots, but you can’t do anything about that."

I missed all but the first half of the game. Only saw him miss a couple shots and benched. Can anyone say that this is the case?

I'm hoping he continues working on this if this is indeed the case.

Bass has done exactly this. Despite having some bad games scoring, he's rebounded, brought energy on D and energy in general.

Surprisingly, Barbosa has done so too. And even the Jet. Neither were known for their defense but have played great D.

Jeff Green could definitely do more than scoring. His size and athleticism makes it possible. Rebounding, making a bigger difference on D...kind of like what he's done at the end of the Nets and the Bucks games so far this year.
Funny quote by Doc.  He blocked shots, he rebounded... for grand totals of 1 block and 2 rebounds.

Haha, that is funny.  I can see why Doc would say that though.  Jeff had a huge block on a Magic big man who had an opportunity for a very easy lay up in crunch time in the 4th quarter.  He may not have grabbed many rebounds, but he was certainly very "active" on the glass, tipping a lot of balls.  This is my objective feeling watching that game and I consider myself generally a JG detractor.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
He's a poor man's Danny Granger. I'd pay 8 for that if he was starting.

He's a Danny Granger without a jump shot.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
As for "horrible", I wouldn't say that.  I'm sure he would beat any of us 21-0 in a game of 1 on 1.

I would say that he is not showing to be worth his contract yet.  I would say he is a pretty poor shooter for a SF.  He is a pretty good rebounder for a SF.  He is a pretty mediocre defender for a SF.  Overall he's looking like a pretty mediocre player.  I'm just not sure exactly what his strengths are yet.  I know what "strengths" people will tell me he has, but I still have yet to see them.

« Reply #168 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
How long before Jeff Green decides to switch to the NFL?

Same time as Big Baby?

Edit:  Then again, Baby said after he becomes an all star.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #169 on: November 26, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
As for "horrible", I wouldn't say that.  I'm sure he would beat any of us 21-0 in a game of 1 on 1.

I would say that he is not showing to be worth his contract yet.  I would say he is a pretty poor shooter for a SF.  He is a pretty good rebounder for a SF.  He is a pretty mediocre defender for a SF.  Overall he's looking like a pretty mediocre player.  I'm just not sure exactly what his strengths are yet.  I know what "strengths" people will tell me he has, but I still have yet to see them.

^this, but also, I think that Jeff's shooting is just fine, but is not a consistent scorer. He's not bad of a defender and rebounder, its just his scoring needs to be more consistent. He can't score 17 one night and then just 1 pt the next day.

Though I can say that his defense is really not as bad as people said it is. He played pretty good defense yesterday against the Magics.

« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I'd like to see Green pass the ball a little bit more.  He gets tunnel vision on some of those right-handed gallops from the 3-point line or when he posts up a guard - did have one nice pass to Sullinger, but forced up a few shots when a pass would have been better.

I'd also like to trade Bass and free up some more minutes at the 4 spot for him.  He's most dangerous offensively as a stretch/speed 4 and he's getting precious few minutes there. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2012, 12:14:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont think that overall Green is horrible, I do think that he is a horrible post up player though! Who was on him last night, Aflallo maybe? Green had the "mismatch" could hardly even budge him anywhere and resulted in throwing up a turn around ugly looking hook shot.

« Reply #172 on: November 26, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I dont think that overall Green is horrible, I do think that he is a horrible post up player though! Who was on him last night, Aflallo maybe? Green had the "mismatch" could hardly even budge him anywhere and resulted in throwing up a turn around ugly looking hook shot.

I was gonna say the same thing about his post game, but it does seem he was being soft in the post. I also did see that post on Affalo and I went "why can't you post up a guard?!?!"

I think he is capable of pushing his opponents back, but he might be worried for offensive fouls or whatnot. I know he is more capable than that...don't know what's really holding him back

« Reply #173 on: November 26, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

I was gonna say the same thing about his post game, but it does seem he was being soft in the post. I also did see that post on Affalo and I went "why can't you post up a guard?!?!"

I think he is capable of pushing his opponents back, but he might be worried for offensive fouls or whatnot. I know he is more capable than that...don't know what's really holding him back

Yeah me either. When he has been aggressive and "mean" as KG puts it he had played great basketball. But then he gets in stages where he seems timid and out of his element. Posting up Afflalo was one of those moments for me. I also think defenders know his game pretty well. He makes a great quick first step to the basket, but when he gets in the paint ready to explode to the rim, there is someone there waiting for him and he hasnt risen up over them yet, just decided to throw up an underhand scoop or something. Maybe he is afraid of health damage and contact right now.

« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
From Forsberg (Doc on the Magic game):

"I thought Jeff played great, he just didn’t score," Rivers said. "He blocked shots, rebounded -- just played a good floor game for us. He just missed some makeable shots, but you can’t do anything about that."

I missed all but the first half of the game. Only saw him miss a couple shots and benched. Can anyone say that this is the case?

I'm hoping he continues working on this if this is indeed the case.

Bass has done exactly this. Despite having some bad games scoring, he's rebounded, brought energy on D and energy in general.

Surprisingly, Barbosa has done so too. And even the Jet. Neither were known for their defense but have played great D.

Jeff Green could definitely do more than scoring. His size and athleticism makes it possible. Rebounding, making a bigger difference on D...kind of like what he's done at the end of the Nets and the Bucks games so far this year.
Funny quote by Doc.  He blocked shots, he rebounded... for grand totals of 1 block and 2 rebounds.

Haha, that is funny.  I can see why Doc would say that though.  Jeff had a huge block on a Magic big man who had an opportunity for a very easy lay up in crunch time in the 4th quarter.  He may not have grabbed many rebounds, but he was certainly very "active" on the glass, tipping a lot of balls.  This is my objective feeling watching that game and I consider myself generally a JG detractor.

I cant see Docs point of view AT ALL on this one. Like someone stated above he "rebounded and blocked shots"...? He had a great block on defense and that granted him the opportunity to play major second half minutes? As soon as Green came into the game at the four, we completely lost the lead and then some. Green stayed on the floor with Bass and Sully and the game was on the border of getting out of our reach. The time on the clock kept ticking away, and away, and away...Green was still in and we were still playing poorly. I couldnt understand Doc's rotation last night at the end of 3rd, half of the fourth at all.

« Reply #175 on: November 26, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I cant see Docs point of view AT ALL on this one.

My guess is that he was just looking for something encouraging to say.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #176 on: November 26, 2012, 01:31:32 PM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
I live in Florida (NE of Tampa) and took my son to yesterday's game as an early birthday gift (he turns 13 in December).  Being there and seeing this game live, I can offer one conclusion:

Jeff green plays with a passive nature, his shots are not being taken with confidence or strength, and he looks like a man who has (pardon the expression) no heart on the floor.  I was utterly embarrassed watching him play.  Sitting next to a lot of die hard Celtics fans, those comments were consistent across the board.

KG nailed it - JG must play with an edge...  I don't think he can, and he is KILLING this team.  I felt sorry for him as I literally watch Afflalo push him around on the floor.  And seeing this live made me realize just how weak and passive he is.

« Reply #177 on: November 26, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »

Offline Shad0wman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
I live in Florida (NE of Tampa) and took my son to yesterday's game as an early birthday gift (he turns 13 in December).  Being there and seeing this game live, I can offer one conclusion:

Jeff green plays with a passive nature, his shots are not being taken with confidence or strength, and he looks like a man who has (pardon the expression) no heart on the floor.  I was utterly embarrassed watching him play.  Sitting next to a lot of die hard Celtics fans, those comments were consistent across the board.

KG nailed it - JG must play with an edge...  I don't think he can, and he is KILLING this team.  I felt sorry for him as I literally watch Afflalo push him around on the floor.  And seeing this live made me realize just how weak and passive he is.

TY! TP! THIS!

Its all I see when I watch him play. If anyone here can actually tell me they see anything other than this heartless, overpaid non player I would really like to hear it because, well because you can't tell me that. This is the most frustrating thing to me about it, I'm a baller and I would gladly play with 1000x more heart than this fool and I would do it for 10x less the pay. And out of all the people in the world, we get this dude. Its a shame, like poster said, no heart, passive, embarrassing. It's plain embarrassing to anyone who gives effort. I have slowly grown to completely loathe JG as a BB non player and I foam at the mouth when I even think about him. Until they release him or trade him, Jeff Green and his absurd salary will be a detriment to this team and I will continue to come here and bash him.

Jeff Green welcome to a world where your life in basketball is public and until you can play CONSISTENTLY and up to your pay grade you will be mercilessly hounded to do something to change this. Only you can do it man and well, I have no hope that you can or will. Please go to Italy or France or something. Give someone who actually wants to play and will give effort a chance. Its nearing Christmas Jeff, please do it. Do it.

« Reply #178 on: November 26, 2012, 06:25:48 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I realize this is a thread about Jeff Green being a horrible player, but in fairness, if this thread is going to get multiple pages of posts after a bad game, might it not get at least 1 post when he plays well? 

I went to the OKC game and thought Green was a significant contributor. He was really quite efficient with his shots and he was engaged on both ends.  He wasn't great, but he was certainly good on that night.  In 14 games he's had 3 (or so) impactful games and a bunch of sub-par games.  It isn't a good start to a season that folks hoped would be a break-out season for him. But if this is to be the on-going thread about JG's performance, it's only fair that he get some recognition when he plays well in addition to the criticism when he plays poorly. 

On the Doc comments, I do think Doc was overly positive, but I think a more accurate way of finding some good in Jeff's game last night would be that, despite going 0-9, it was actually a better night than some he's had.  He did make a few aggressive moves and did contribute with an important block.  He also took the shots that were available to him (with the exception of one unnecessary pass) -- shots he'll make on other nights. 0-9 is terrible, but there weren't too many of the 9 shots that I wouldn't want him take again if they present themselves.

I agree with the OP that he has not played well, but I doubt it's about effort or desire to do well. He seems to lack confidence and seems confused about what he should be doing at various times.  I won't give him all season to turn this around, but unlike the OP I do have some hope that he can.

« Reply #179 on: November 26, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Jeff Green will be a beast by the end of the year. He has played fairly well so far though not up to his potential. I don't get why everyone is on his case all the time. He just had heart surgery.