Author Topic: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player  (Read 26915 times)

Re: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
another thing people forget is, say we DONT sign jeff green, its not like we would then have $9million dollars to allocate somewhere else...we are/were cap strapped before signing him with what we could do.

that is why Danny looked to re-sign most of his players...and we had to trade to get Courtney Lee.

This is true.  If we hadn't signed Green, he would have left for nothing, and we couldn't refill his salary slot this season. 

The question, then, is whether it is better to overpay a player (who will then take up a disproportionate amount of the cap in future seasons, or let him go for no compensation.

Which future seasons?

The three seasons after this one. 

At this level of play, there's no question that Green's cap hit is disproportionate to his production.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2012, 09:19:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Jeff Green is garbage, his contract is garbage, and Danny Ainge is a garbage GM.

I've been saying that the Perk trade was awful since the day it was made, and I think time has vindicated me.

The only thing good about him is that he pretty much makes statheads look like geniuses when they determined (a long time ago) that he sucked, despite all of the scouts/pundits/coaches/fans saying how much "potential" he had.

Jeff Green has two issues. 1) he plays consistently timid and sometimes with swagger 2) he is a tweener for the better or the worse. Not too tall , strong, exceptional wingspan be a PF , and not too quick nor can't shoot too great to be a sf. Danny Ainge def messed up on this one. If all else, he paid him 2 to 3 million too much a year.

Honestly i rather see Kris Joseph out there now backing up Pierce. He doesn't have all the tools like Green but he has the right tools to play SF better.  Looks like a young pierce and could learn alot from the master himself.

If celtics are thinking of making a big move on trade deadline, I would use Jeff Green as the #1 bait. We are still hurting bad in the rebounding department. Two ideas

1) To Brooklyn for Reggie Evans + 1st round pick
2) To Utah with 1st round pick, Melo for Al Jefferson.

not only do da contracts not match but why da hell would u wanna trade a 16ppg career scorer for an offensively challenged dude like Reggie Evans? yeen gotta like Jeff Green but trade proposals like dis are unbelievable mane lol
He's not a career 16ppg scorer.  And Reggie Evans would be a huge help.  I really wanted Ainge to sign Evans.

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
another thing people forget is, say we DONT sign jeff green, its not like we would then have $9million dollars to allocate somewhere else...we are/were cap strapped before signing him with what we could do.

that is why Danny looked to re-sign most of his players...and we had to trade to get Courtney Lee.

This is true.  If we hadn't signed Green, he would have left for nothing, and we couldn't refill his salary slot this season. 

The question, then, is whether it is better to overpay a player (who will then take up a disproportionate amount of the cap in future seasons, or let him go for no compensation.

Which future seasons?

At this level of play, there's no question that Green's cap hit is disproportionate to his production.

That's true, but eight games into his contract is a little early to determine that he won't play up to it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2012, 09:36:21 AM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Jeff Green is garbage, his contract is garbage, and Danny Ainge is a garbage GM.

I've been saying that the Perk trade was awful since the day it was made, and I think time has vindicated me.

The only thing good about him is that he pretty much makes statheads look like geniuses when they determined (a long time ago) that he sucked, despite all of the scouts/pundits/coaches/fans saying how much "potential" he had.

Jeff Green has two issues. 1) he plays consistently timid and sometimes with swagger 2) he is a tweener for the better or the worse. Not too tall , strong, exceptional wingspan be a PF , and not too quick nor can't shoot too great to be a sf. Danny Ainge def messed up on this one. If all else, he paid him 2 to 3 million too much a year.

Honestly i rather see Kris Joseph out there now backing up Pierce. He doesn't have all the tools like Green but he has the right tools to play SF better.  Looks like a young pierce and could learn alot from the master himself.

If celtics are thinking of making a big move on trade deadline, I would use Jeff Green as the #1 bait. We are still hurting bad in the rebounding department. Two ideas

not only do da contracts not match but why da hell would u wanna trade a 16ppg career scorer for an offensively challenged dude like Reggie Evans? yeen gotta like Jeff Green but trade proposals like dis are unbelievable mane lol
He's not a career 16ppg scorer.  And Reggie Evans would be a huge help.  I really wanted Ainge to sign Evans.
ehh 14ppg still not bad no way in hell im tradin him for reggie evans some of yall would make terrible GM's lol. look Green is still takin time to adjust so im not too hard on him after recovering from heart surgery yall complaining bout dis conract need to fall back cuz Taj Gibson is gettin paid 4 years $42 mil if i aint mistaken there are contracts a lot worse then Green's he  aint as horrible as most of yall say he is

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I didn't, never has a player made more out of one ability than reggie evans.

When you put reggie on the floor, you essentially concede that you will be planing 4 on 5 offensively, barring 1-3 trips a night where he gets an offensive board.

Also, don't be afraid to foul him on those o-rebounds other team, for reggie will quite surely get one FT at best, and is likely to miss both.

And defensively? shoot away dear other team, for while reggie is a fantastic rebounder, he is an average P & R defender at best and can be readily abused in any switch when he gets a quicker player on him. You'll notice reggie back way off, with fear in his eyes.

if you listen close you can hear him thinking "please don't drive...omgdon'tdrive...!.. please just shoot so I can get the rebound if you miss....don't drive!!"

But, if you brick your wide open shot, rest assured reggie will rebound THE HELL out of that basketball.

Look, I'm all for Rebounding, it's a valuable skill we need more off, but not at the expense of every other skill a player could have. There are plenty of other journeymen who rebound SLIGHTLY worse than Evans but don't murder your offensive and Defensive flow when put into a game.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I've said this a hundred times, Jeff is playing 80% of time very SOFT, and that is one thing this team in NOT
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2012, 10:54:02 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Which future seasons?

Next 3 seasons we won't be under the salary cap so it's inconsequential. So no, the cap hit is really not disproportionate.

At best, it might factor in preventing us from using the MLE next year, but I'm not going to cry about that... as is, we still have a chance at still being under enough to use it and still have Green on board.

And when our player's salaries expire, we only have 15 million committed to salary (assuming Green accepts his player option). That's A LOT of cap flexibility, and let's not ignore that the 15 million that is commited are for expiring contracts (Lee and Green), two players that will still be considered young and should have some good buying power if we need to use them in a trade.

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
For me with the whole reggie evans thing goes back to losing perkins. These players leave it all out on the court, scrap to get rebounds, and influence the team that can't be measured on the stat sheets.

We still have KG but he is getting older and not a full fledged interior guy.

Our team is imbalanced ever since losing perk last year (stiemmer/hollins tried their best) and nothing was fixed over the summer.

lastly look at it this way, last year without Green for pretty much most of the year we went really far. We didn't need him last year and this year is proving not to be much of a factor. What if last year we had a tough interior presence though. hard fouls on bosh, wade, james to get them to think twice before driving, grab crucial rebounds to prevent 2nd scoring chances?

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Green is looking like a horrible player again today....

Pierce is short and getting old , he can't carry the team forever... ???

We need some  HELP REALLY soon in the form of BIGS to play in the paint or we are going to do squat.

« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Green is looking like a horrible player again today....

Pierce is short and getting old , he can't carry the team forever... ???

We need some  HELP REALLY soon in the form of BIGS to play in the paint or we are going to do squat.

he ended up having a decent game 9points on 4/6 shooting..

I think part of the problem is he's not being used correctly..look, in the 3rd/4th they posted him up and ran plays for him..thats how you get Green involved, and thats when he exploded and made an impact...

Not having him stand around in a corner while Barbosa dribbles around...in the 3rd they changed their philosophy and actually called post up plays for green

by the end of the year I bet he'll be averaging 12ppg. which is all we really need from him.

its the same problem for Courtney Lee. they need to run some plays for him to get him going.

« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »

Offline jowwwman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
In the end all that matters is if we win a championship. Jeff Green will NOT be any more help to us towards this than a mediocre role player. Sure he may help us win a game or two but he will cause us to lose just as many with his poor decision making and horrible defense and rebounding. In the end the net result will be the same as that of the average role player.

How he hurts us is his contract takes up a significant portion of the team's salary meaning we will not be able to sign an actual contributor who helps us WIN when it matters. Jeff Green will either be injured or play so poorly he will see little playing time come time for the playoffs. His play becomes worse when the stakes are high and I've seen nothing out of him to suggest he will help the team in any meaningful games.

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
Green just needs to be more aggressive nd look for his shot more he aint horrible or a scrub like a lot of yall claim lol

« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21

Which future seasons?

Theres probably 30 players on a higher salary who've started out the season worse than him.

« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2012, 03:15:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Which future seasons?

Theres probably 30 players on a higher salary who've started out the season worse than him.

And that makes it OK?

$9million is not really a disastrous contract at all
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2012, 03:16:21 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
the way people talk about green's contract you might think he was being paid all-star money.

fans may point to Rajon Rondo/Garnetts contracts to that..but they are vastly UNDERPAID in the grand scheme of things..Rondo would probably demand a max contract with his talent level...and Garnett took a discount to stay with his $11million

While green may be in somewhat of a slump right now, hes a career 13ppg player, and compared to other Small forwards with similar Stats i'm not seeing where it is outrageous.

Gerald wallace - $10million
Andrei Kirilenko - $9.77 million
Nicholas Batum - $10.8 million