Author Topic: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player  (Read 26909 times)

Re: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
KG has Greens back. Keeps at him to be aggressive. He must see some thing in him in practice's that makes KG want him to do better, to keep chewing at his ear on every good play.

You know who else he did that to. Avery Bradley. Remember how much people hated him in the beginning of the year. Heck, I was one of them, thinking every time he came out it was 3 turnovers automatically. But KG keep at him, stood behind him and pushed him. And how did that turn out by the end of the season?

I'll take KG's opinion on how good he is over any over reactors on here.

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2012, 05:48:59 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
KG has Greens back. Keeps at him to be aggressive. He must see some thing in him in practice's that makes KG want him to do better, to keep chewing at his ear on every good play.

You know who else he did that to. Avery Bradley. Remember how much people hated him in the beginning of the year. Heck, I was one of them, thinking every time he came out it was 3 turnovers automatically. But KG keep at him, stood behind him and pushed him. And how did that turn out by the end of the season?

wait
fire doc
blow team up
dump collins
trade green
trade lee
pierce not shooting well
terry not taking over for ray well enough
trade for josh smith
trade for josh smith
trade for josh smith
number nine
number nine
are you saying there are over reactors on celtics blog
 8)

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2012, 05:50:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I respectfully disagree with the OP. Green is a work in progress, sure, but he's got too much talent to give up on yet.

And inasmuch as your frustration has to do with last night's game against Brooklyn, yeah, Green played poorly, but so did Pierce and Bass, and the whole team failed to score for a five-minute stretch.

It was like watching the last five minutes of Game 7 of the 2010 Finals.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

wait
fire doc
blow team up
dump collins
trade green
trade lee
pierce not shooting well
terry not taking over for ray well enough
trade for josh smith
trade for josh smith
trade for josh smith
number nine
number nine
are you saying there are over reactors on celtics blog
 8)

You forgot sell the team and move it cross county because why bother with this team! :P

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I'd agree with the Jeff Green haters if we were midway through the season, it's been what 5-6 games? Gimme a break
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I wouldn't say that Green is 'horrible'.  But he is vastly overpaid at 9m per season, and he's not even a big man, ala Mark Blount.  At least you have some rationale for overpaying a player like that. 

Green isn't even the 6th best player on the Celtics roster yet he's getting paid like a starter.  The NBA has a salary cap of 58m this season.  Jeff Green is taking up 15.5% of that cap.  Making money like that comes with expectations.  So far Green has failed to deliver on those expectations.

Do I want Jeff Green to play better?  Of course I do, he's wearing Celtic Green.  So far is it reasonable to expect any better?  Not until he proves it.  I just hope he plays well enough so he can be a trade chip down the road.  The Celtics roster is in need of an upgrade.  Jeff Green is not that upgrade thus far.

The problem with the original post is imo that headline with "horrible" in caps. You can expect pretty strong answers to that, because some people will consider it very opinionated. It is a harsh description of a player who has contributed to a couple of wins already this season.

Is Green overrated on these boards? He might be, but most of us just hope that he will be a consistant contributor for this team, he doesn't need to be a star and he isn't paid like one. Furthermore it is very early to judge a player who has been out for a year.

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Jeff Green is garbage, his contract is garbage, and Danny Ainge is a garbage GM.

I've been saying that the Perk trade was awful since the day it was made, and I think time has vindicated me.

The only thing good about him is that he pretty much makes statheads look like geniuses when they determined (a long time ago) that he sucked, despite all of the scouts/pundits/coaches/fans saying how much "potential" he had.

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2012, 06:50:30 PM »

Offline OsirusCeltics

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 198
Comparing Jeff Green to James Worthy was and is about as useful as comparing Gerald Green to Tracy McGrady.

Saying he's a terrible basketball player now is like calling Avery Bradley a bust during his rookie season.

Be disappointed, be optimistic, either one is valid. But I wouldn't go saying what he is or isn't yet except a mostly unknown quantity who shouldn't play the 4

AB was 19. Green is what 25 or 26... I think he is almost what he is. I  don't think guys really develop motors. It's a part of your personality and your individual human nature. Green has been so gifted that the game just came easy for him at the lower levels. In the NBA it doesn't and he just has not shown that he has the intangibles to consistently attack and implement his will on the game. He didn't show it in OKC and he hasn't shown it here.

He is neither a pure 3 or 4. But I think it's an excuse. James Posey never had the athletic gifts Green did, but he had a tenacity that made his presence felt. Pose was neither a true three or four. But it didn't really matter. He still impacted games and after you watched him you said man he makes a big difference.

The only excuse Green has in my opinion is that he still doesn't really know his role. I hope this is the case and that is why he is so passive. But with every game I lose a little optimism and think he will always just be a trick or treat player who is maddeningly inconsistent.

If it's as you say and Green should never play the four then we will never see what he truly brings to the table until Paul Pierce or himself is no longer wearing a Celtic's jersey. That is really sad.

The main reason Green is not playing as well as he should: He's playing the 4

In the Thunder and now the Celtics there was always a starting 3 in his way who was better than him

The ONLY way in my opinion to make him really shine as a great player is let him play the 3, and Pierce play the 2. The Celtics would have an awesome starting lineup if that happens

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
My only issue with Green is the undeserved contract he is on. For a guy making that amount of money, you would expect him to dominate games for stretches. Green hasn't shown that ability unfortunately. He's a nice role player.

Now, of the current players I'd like to have a sit down with, that would be Bass. It's the same crap as last year again: take way too many shots, miss way too many shots. Someone needs to get into his head that he doesn't have to shoot every time he touches the ball.

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2012, 08:00:26 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
I wouldn't say that Green is 'horrible'.  But he is vastly overpaid at 9m per season, and he's not even a big man, ala Mark Blount.  At least you have some rationale for overpaying a player like that. 

Green isn't even the 6th best player on the Celtics roster yet he's getting paid like a starter.  The NBA has a salary cap of 58m this season.  Jeff Green is taking up 15.5% of that cap.  Making money like that comes with expectations.  So far Green has failed to deliver on those expectations.

Do I want Jeff Green to play better?  Of course I do, he's wearing Celtic Green.  So far is it reasonable to expect any better?  Not until he proves it.  I just hope he plays well enough so he can be a trade chip down the road.  The Celtics roster is in need of an upgrade.  Jeff Green is not that upgrade thus far.

The problem with the original post is imo that headline with "horrible" in caps. You can expect pretty strong answers to that, because some people will consider it very opinionated. It is a harsh description of a player who has contributed to a couple of wins already this season.

Is Green overrated on these boards? He might be, but most of us just hope that he will be a consistant contributor for this team, he doesn't need to be a star and he isn't paid like one. Furthermore it is very early to judge a player who has been out for a year.
your right hes not the sixth best, he's the fourth and its not even close.

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Jeff Green is making $8,375,000.00 this year.  That makes him the seventy-first highest paid player in the NBA.  Some notables making more than him this season include Andris Biedrins, Devin Harris, Rodney Stuckey, Jameer Nelson, Andrea Bargnani, Richard Jeffeson, Ben Gordon, and Corey Magette. 

NBA players are paid a ton of money, even mediocre ones.  Somehow, Celtics fans have decided to pick on Jeff Green's as representing this outrageous sum by league standards.  The top paid players in the league make more than twice what Jeff Green is getting paid. 

He's not being paid like a superstar.  He's being paid like a role player, which is what he is.  Sure, it would be nice if he played better, but that's the case for everyone.  Anyway, personally, I'm not too worried about the size of his contract.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2012, 08:40:40 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Jeff Green is garbage, his contract is garbage, and Danny Ainge is a garbage GM.

I've been saying that the Perk trade was awful since the day it was made, and I think time has vindicated me.

The only thing good about him is that he pretty much makes statheads look like geniuses when they determined (a long time ago) that he sucked, despite all of the scouts/pundits/coaches/fans saying how much "potential" he had.

I think time has proven the Celtics made the right choice not necessarily getting Green but getting rid of Perk.

Perk is a shell of himself and the Thunder are paying him $10 million and they couldn't be angrier about it. Did you not watch how badly the Heat torched him in the finals last year?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 08:59:15 PM by MJohnnyboy »

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Jeff Green is making $8,375,000.00 this year.  That makes him the seventy-first highest paid player in the NBA.  Some notables making more than him this season include Andris Biedrins, Devin Harris, Rodney Stuckey, Jameer Nelson, Andrea Bargnani, Richard Jeffeson, Ben Gordon, and Corey Magette. 

NBA players are paid a ton of money, even mediocre ones.  Somehow, Celtics fans have decided to pick on Jeff Green's as representing this outrageous sum by league standards.  The top paid players in the league make more than twice what Jeff Green is getting paid. 

He's not being paid like a superstar.  He's being paid like a role player, which is what he is.  Sure, it would be nice if he played better, but that's the case for everyone.  Anyway, personally, I'm not too worried about the size of his contract.

At 71st, that makes Green paid as you'd like to see a top-tier third man paid.  At his current level, Green is far from a #3 starter.

I was surprised to see Danny give Green so many years at so much money.  I had hoped that Danny had gotten all the bad, long-term contracts out of his system early in his career (Scal, Blount, Raef, etc.)  Recently, he's been much better at only taking on long-term deals for building block players.  I'm not sure that Green fits that mold.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2012, 09:26:55 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

At 71st, that makes Green paid as you'd like to see a top-tier third man paid.  At his current level, Green is far from a #3 starter.

I was surprised to see Danny give Green so many years at so much money.  I had hoped that Danny had gotten all the bad, long-term contracts out of his system early in his career (Scal, Blount, Raef, etc.)  Recently, he's been much better at only taking on long-term deals for building block players.  I'm not sure that Green fits that mold.

Green probably won't ever be the third best player on this team as long as KG, Pierce, and Rondo are still on board, but I do think that he has the potential to be solidly fourth.  He's not playing up to that after eight games, but it's still really early.

My point is that folks are acting like he's being paid superstar money.  That's simply not the case.  He's being paid like a really good role player.  I just think people should keep that in mind when reacting to his "enormous" contract.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My point is that folks are acting like he's being paid superstar money.  That's simply not the case.  He's being paid like a really good role player.  I just think people should keep that in mind when reacting to his "enormous" contract.

This is true.  At the same time, we're spending roughly 1/6th of the cap on Jeff Green.  That's not the recipe for maintaining flexibility going forward, unless he breaks out.

I think overpaying role players is the quickest way to salary cap hell in the NBA.  Right now, the concern of many is that Jeff Green might be just that type of role player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes