Author Topic: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player  (Read 26785 times)

Re: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 07:53:10 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The problem with the original post is imo that headline with "horrible" in caps. You can expect pretty strong answers to that, because some people will consider it very opinionated. It is a harsh description of a player who has contributed to a couple of wins already this season.

Is Green overrated on these boards? He might be, but most of us just hope that he will be a consistant contributor for this team, he doesn't need to be a star and he isn't paid like one. Furthermore it is very early to judge a player who has been out for a year.
He's supposed to contribute in every game, not just a couple of wins.

And how is that opposed to what I write? I don't get your point.

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The problem with the original post is imo that headline with "horrible" in caps. You can expect pretty strong answers to that, because some people will consider it very opinionated. It is a harsh description of a player who has contributed to a couple of wins already this season.

Is Green overrated on these boards? He might be, but most of us just hope that he will be a consistant contributor for this team, he doesn't need to be a star and he isn't paid like one. Furthermore it is very early to judge a player who has been out for a year.

My point is that Green has been adequate in like 3 out of 10 games.  That's on par with his career performance, and that's not good enough if we are going to compete for a title.  Green is being counted on for consistent production game to game in some way, shape, or form.  If Green is a no-show in 70% of the games, the Celtics roster isn't good enough to challenge great teams.  The Celtics require a lot more from Green than, say, Darko Milicic.

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 08:43:44 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

My point is that Green has been adequate in like 3 out of 10 games.  That's on par with his career performance, and that's not good enough if we are going to compete for a title.  Green is being counted on for consistent production game to game in some way, shape, or form.  If Green is a no-show in 70% of the games, the Celtics roster isn't good enough to challenge great teams.  The Celtics require a lot more from Green than, say, Darko Milicic.

And how is that different from what I wrote? It's all about consistency, and you can't really measure that in ten games, especially for guy coming back after heart surgery.

I can live with performances like yesterday as the bottom level, if that is followed by an 18 points performance when we need that. It wasn't like we needed Green's offensive production yesterday, it was the team rebounding and defense that was the problem, and Green did ok in those areas.

And btw. his career performance of 13.7 points and 5.5 rebounds per game would be a substantial contribution to our team. To get there, he would need to play 30+ minutes rather than 20.

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 08:45:22 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I agree he really isn't that good....at all. Nice guy...about as hard to watch at times as Tony Allen......at least ta had one elite skill.

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Guess I'll ad my 2 cents. I think he's a servicable back up, who with confidence and consistancy could be better than average. I believe he has scoring ability, but really needs to get busy rebounding, especially if Doc is going to use him at the 4. I wouldn't give up on him, but I will admit I can not understand for the life of me how he got that contract.

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I still see a poor man's Derrick McKey. 

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mckeyde01.html

A guy with great physical tools and basketball skills.  Doesn't have the mindset to really maximize those skills. 

Except Green is not the defender McKey is.

Green is a 5th starter.  On the Celtics, he is a 6th man.  Unfortunately, he is being payed like a top 3 - 4 player that starts on a team. 

I hope he plays better.

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'm waiting until midseason to figure out Green and how he fits.  He missed too much time, is with a new group in a new role, etc.

And that group, we're all so proud, is stacked with people who can do things on the court.  I can understand it being difficult to figure out when to be assertive offensively next to JET, Barbosa, Bass, Pierce et. al.

Right now, it looks like Doc is doing some great coaching with this team, as much as it pains me to say that.  He's not a great in-game coach for the most part (matchups, etc.), but he's going a great job getting the individuals to do their best individually and come toether.

His cheer for Green's 3 last night really showed his hopes for Green, IMO, and they're pretty high.  It might take a bit to get there, though.

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The dude just came off massive heart surgery in which he missed an entire season...Has anyone here had heart surgery before? Green is a little lacking in the confidence department yes, I would be too. He is learning how to trust his body and see how it react to the strenuous schedule. Not only that, he is trying to find his place as a role player playing 20 minutes a game in short spurts on the court when he is used to getting into a rhythm playing 35 minutes a game.

Hes got the skills, the potential. Getting used to his role and lack of confidence, mentally and physically, is gonna hold him back for a little while.

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The dude just came off massive heart surgery in which he missed an entire season...Has anyone here had heart surgery before? Green is a little lacking in the confidence department yes, I would be too. He is learning how to trust his body and see how it react to the strenuous schedule. Not only that, he is trying to find his place as a role player playing 20 minutes a game in short spurts on the court when he is used to getting into a rhythm playing 35 minutes a game.

Hes got the skills, the potential. Getting used to his role and lack of confidence, mentally and physically, is gonna hold him back for a little while.
But he is exactly the same player he was before the heart surgery.  So I'm not sure how it can be said that the surgery is holding him back.

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
He is the same player, for sure, but he's in a different role. Whether or not that will make a difference, remains to be seen.

It's not like he's a total disaster area. Dunked on big Al, drilled a clutch three, had some good defensive moments. If he can consistently give us stuff like that, he's worth it.

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
i am sure at somepoint the OP will create a Josh Smith trade proposal that includes Barbosa, Darko, Collins, Sully, Kris Joseph, and Tyron Lue.

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2012, 01:46:58 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
hopefully Green can pick up his game over the next 6 -8 weeks, and the whole team will start to blend together.

If he doesn't improve dramatically I imagine Danny will take action to right the ship before the second half of the season gets to far under way.

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:24 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
if you knew green as a player before he came to Boston you'd know he has quite the motor, and does play with a fire in his eyes.  The fact that hes playing right now is a blessing, and if it takes a month or a few to get back into his natural consistency, I could care less. He's already shown he has capability in the preseason and games like vs Utah where he showed consistent production. His D has been underrated in my opinion and has made significant improvement on rebounding already.

For all we know he could be purposely,(or subconsciously) be playing a bit laid back as a precaution to limit putting too much post-surgery stress on his heart too early into his return. You can tell he isn't playing with the 'prove the doubters wrong' mentality right now, because hes being passive on offense(only averaging 7.5 shots per game).  That might not be the case but its true that we assume too much about what he's been through and how he should be performing.

Greens not just a really nice guy, he's also a really smart guy.  I think the not-so-intelligent decision for a guy in his place would be to hit the floor sprinting, and risk never being able to play basketball again as well as any hopes his team had of winning a championship.

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I have a question based on what I've seen from his offensively so far - why don't he and Rondo run more pick and rolls? He's a fair shooter so you have to respect that, and a good athlete going to the basket.

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2012, 04:29:09 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
If you want more from Jeff Green...play him 35 minutes per game.

For Jeff Green to give this team the 9-10 million dollar production that you all are looking for he has to never miss a shot and never miss a FT and never turn the ball over ever.