Author Topic: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player  (Read 26806 times)

Re: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 12:16:55 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
He will always leave you wanting more. I like Green and what he has to offer, but that offer is just not on the table consistently.

He lacks any semblance of a motor and as a result I think he is a poor man's Lamar Odom with a little more athleticism. He will be maddening to root for, but we were wise to sign him. We had no other alternative.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 12:37:02 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Comparing Jeff Green to James Worthy was and is about as useful as comparing Gerald Green to Tracy McGrady.

Saying he's a terrible basketball player now is like calling Avery Bradley a bust during his rookie season.

Be disappointed, be optimistic, either one is valid. But I wouldn't go saying what he is or isn't yet except a mostly unknown quantity who shouldn't play the 4

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 12:49:57 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
Comparing Jeff Green to James Worthy was and is about as useful as comparing Gerald Green to Tracy McGrady.

Saying he's a terrible basketball player now is like calling Avery Bradley a bust during his rookie season.

Be disappointed, be optimistic, either one is valid. But I wouldn't go saying what he is or isn't yet except a mostly unknown quantity who shouldn't play the 4

AB was 19. Green is what 25 or 26... I think he is almost what he is. I  don't think guys really develop motors. It's a part of your personality and your individual human nature. Green has been so gifted that the game just came easy for him at the lower levels. In the NBA it doesn't and he just has not shown that he has the intangibles to consistently attack and implement his will on the game. He didn't show it in OKC and he hasn't shown it here.

He is neither a pure 3 or 4. But I think it's an excuse. James Posey never had the athletic gifts Green did, but he had a tenacity that made his presence felt. Pose was neither a true three or four. But it didn't really matter. He still impacted games and after you watched him you said man he makes a big difference.

The only excuse Green has in my opinion is that he still doesn't really know his role. I hope this is the case and that is why he is so passive. But with every game I lose a little optimism and think he will always just be a trick or treat player who is maddeningly inconsistent.

If it's as you say and Green should never play the four then we will never see what he truly brings to the table until Paul Pierce or himself is no longer wearing a Celtic's jersey. That is really sad.

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 12:57:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think it is an issue of role and confidence. The point of comparing him to Bradley was that guys don't look great until they figure out what they're supposed to be. I think Jeff Green is still figuring that out.

That, or he really isn't very good, which would suck, but is pretty possible.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 01:15:49 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

I hope not and I don't think so. I think he has a lot of talent. It's just having it translate into consistent production.

I guess we will have to remain patient.

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think it is an issue of role and confidence. The point of comparing him to Bradley was that guys don't look great until they figure out what they're supposed to be. I think Jeff Green is still figuring that out.

I don't think it's a matter of identity.  With someone like Big Baby, I think it was because Baby saw himself as a potential star and wrested too big a role for himself.  With Green, I think it's him not figuring out how to rebound or defend better and not having enough dynamic offensive abilities.  I couldn't believe that he let Stackhouse take him off the dribble; that directly led to four points for the Nets.  Stackhouse.

I wasn't the biggest Green believer.  His contract never made sense to me but I don't think Green's been horrible.  Maybe that's because I never had high expectations for him in the first place.  I still would like to see him play more minutes than Bass though.

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 01:37:42 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
I think maybe Green's biggest deficiency is a subpar basketball IQ.  He just makes too many mistakes, be it not closing out responsibly so someone like Stackhouse can't take him off the dribble or not rotating correctly on defense.  An illustrative point for me was happened during preseason when he failed to dig in on a big who drove from the three point line all the way unbothered to the basket.  Doc had to reprimand him on a basic, elemental point of help defense.  You can't be messing up stuff like that as a veteran even if it's in the preseason.

As for his rebounding, I don't understand why it seems like he's never in a position to grab the board.  He gets blocked out on his own defensive board all the time.  With his strength and size, that shouldn't happen.

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 01:45:24 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'll root for Green and hope he eventually busts out, but I do think he's probably the most overpaid and over-rated player on the roster.

For me it's a close one between him and Courtney Lee.  I'd say that Brandon is in the conversation, as well.  Dare I say that Paul and Kevin are also contenders for that dubious title.  Anyway, I guess someone would have to be.  I'm sure someone could figure out a simple mathematical formula to represent performance per dollar amount.

Regardless, who ends up being the most overpaid, I like all those guys and root for all of them to succeed while they are wearing Celtics green.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 03:02:45 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
I feel that he'll eventually work it out because I saw what he did in OKC when he was the starting small forward (3 spot) on the Thunder when Durant was injured. He was a legit All Star for 6 or 7 games and crushed some good teams. He averaged 23 points 5 rebounds 4 assists and ran the floor like a horse.

Where are you getting this from?  I remember when Durant missed two games in the 2011 season and Green played well but it wasn't at SF.  I checked the box scores of both games, the first was a triple OT game against NJ and he went off for 37/5/4 but Sefolosha played 55 minutes so it wasn't at SF.  The next game he wasn't as good (17/4/7 on 6-14 shooting) but Sefolosha played 39 minutes so again, not at SF.  The competition he crushed was NJ and Toronto, so they weren't good teams either.

Edit: I was wrong. Green did play SF with Ibaka starting at PF but Green also played ample minutes as a small PF too.

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 04:53:46 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The problem with the original post is imo that headline with "horrible" in caps. You can expect pretty strong answers to that, because some people will consider it very opinionated. It is a harsh description of a player who has contributed to a couple of wins already this season.

Is Green overrated on these boards? He might be, but most of us just hope that he will be a consistant contributor for this team, he doesn't need to be a star and he isn't paid like one. Furthermore it is very early to judge a player who has been out for a year.
He's supposed to contribute in every game, not just a couple of wins.

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 04:56:05 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Five years of figuring...

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 05:05:05 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
He's still coming back from his heart surgery.

I'll have his back as long as he's a Celtic.

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 05:35:36 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I'll give this team till the trade deadline to figure it out then BLOW IT UP!

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 06:23:18 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
He really is horrible.

He played great defense to force a turnover and then hit a cold blooded 3 to tie the game before free throws killed us.

Man, you wish this guy wasn't on our roster right?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 07:24:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The sky is falling........GAH.   You guys kill me sometimes.