Author Topic: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player  (Read 26828 times)

Re: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I realize this is a thread about Jeff Green being a horrible player, but in fairness, if this thread is going to get multiple pages of posts after a bad game, might it not get at least 1 post when he plays well? 

I went to the OKC game and thought Green was a significant contributor. He was really quite efficient with his shots and he was engaged on both ends.  He wasn't great, but he was certainly good on that night.  In 14 games he's had 3 (or so) impactful games and a bunch of sub-par games.  It isn't a good start to a season that folks hoped would be a break-out season for him. But if this is to be the on-going thread about JG's performance, it's only fair that he get some recognition when he plays well in addition to the criticism when he plays poorly. 

On the Doc comments, I do think Doc was overly positive, but I think a more accurate way of finding some good in Jeff's game last night would be that, despite going 0-9, it was actually a better night than some he's had.  He did make a few aggressive moves and did contribute with an important block.  He also took the shots that were available to him (with the exception of one unnecessary pass) -- shots he'll make on other nights. 0-9 is terrible, but there weren't too many of the 9 shots that I wouldn't want him take again if they present themselves.

I agree with the OP that he has not played well, but I doubt it's about effort or desire to do well. He seems to lack confidence and seems confused about what he should be doing at various times.  I won't give him all season to turn this around, but unlike the OP I do have some hope that he can.

TP

Love that celticsblog is getting to be more positive.

« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
I think Jeff Green is a very good basketball player that just missed an entire season after having open heart surgery.   That would make the idea of such a thread as this one a complete mockery.   

« Reply #182 on: November 26, 2012, 06:50:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think Jeff Green is a very good basketball player that just missed an entire season after having open heart surgery.   That would make the idea of such a thread as this one a complete mockery.
Bringing up the heart surgery is a mockery to me, since he is exactly the same player pre and post heart surgery.

« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bringing up the heart surgery is a mockery to me, since he is exactly the same player pre and post heart surgery.

That's mostly how I feel, and I think you're probably right.

At the same time, there's naturally going to be some rust, so I'll wait until after the all-star break to assess if we're seeing the "real" Jeff Green.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

That's mostly how I feel, and I think you're probably right.

At the same time, there's naturally going to be some rust, so I'll wait until after the all-star break to assess if we're seeing the "real" Jeff Green.

I think this is how I feel too,  I'm ready to dump him now , but I would be more confident that is the correct choice by alstar break as well. 

That said...I honestly don't see no way Danny will keep him if he continues to play like this 1/2 though the season.

« Reply #185 on: November 26, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
honestly, he was 0-9 BUT some nights shots just aren't going to fall...at least he was aggressive and looked for his shot...i'll take him taking 9 shots a game, because eventually 3-4 of those will fall

I want him to remain aggressive like that ALL the time

my problem has been Green NOT taking shots...not taking them and missing..because History will say that he will snap out of his shooting funk and shots will start to fall.

its the same with Courtney Lee...the shots he's taking are shots I would want him to take. but they just arent falling right now

« Reply #186 on: November 26, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Hes the same player right now but youre crazy if you think he wont get better.  All players get better, especially ones with alot of potential, and at every turn of Greens career he has battled setbacks that have temporarily stunted his growth in the nba.  He is playing as good as he was in OKC yet he still is only beginning to gel with his new team... When he told reporters the other day that he was still only 90 percent back to his old physical shape, did you think he was lying or purposely setting us all up for a huge disappointment?

I realize this is a thread about Jeff Green being a horrible player, but in fairness, if this thread is going to get multiple pages of posts after a bad game, might it not get at least 1 post when he plays well? 

I went to the OKC game and thought Green was a significant contributor. He was really quite efficient with his shots and he was engaged on both ends.  He wasn't great, but he was certainly good on that night.  In 14 games he's had 3 (or so) impactful games and a bunch of sub-par games.  It isn't a good start to a season that folks hoped would be a break-out season for him. But if this is to be the on-going thread about JG's performance, it's only fair that he get some recognition when he plays well in addition to the criticism when he plays poorly. 

On the Doc comments, I do think Doc was overly positive, but I think a more accurate way of finding some good in Jeff's game last night would be that, despite going 0-9, it was actually a better night than some he's had.  He did make a few aggressive moves and did contribute with an important block.  He also took the shots that were available to him (with the exception of one unnecessary pass) -- shots he'll make on other nights. 0-9 is terrible, but there weren't too many of the 9 shots that I wouldn't want him take again if they present themselves.

I agree with the OP that he has not played well, but I doubt it's about effort or desire to do well. He seems to lack confidence and seems confused about what he should be doing at various times.  I won't give him all season to turn this around, but unlike the OP I do have some hope that he can.

Just curious.. what section were you in?

« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
"What he went through [with heart surgery] and to come back, it's going to take him a while. It's hard to play in this league, and it's really hard to play when you've missed a year. He has to just be patient, himself, because he's a winner, he wants to do well, he wants to play well. It's going to take time, and not too many guys can miss a year and have success right off the get-go. But he will eventually."

Quote from Scotty Brooks. I think he knows more than anyone of us about Green.

Yesterday was frustrating but Green still played great against a team that's considered a contender the game before. Atleast he wasn't tentative like he usually is and showed his aggression towards the basket. That atleast showed he is trying to find his role on the team. I liked the moves that he made but he just couldn't finish them.

I'm an optimistic fan so I'm going to continue to wait because the offense is still flowing off the bench even with Green's struggles. I know just as any fans do that Green was most definitely overpaid. The Celtics gave him starters money when he's only going to play 20-25 minutes a night off the bench. What's going to hurt even more is that the Celtics have other scoring options besides Green off the bench fully healthy with Terry, Barbosa, Sully, Lee, and even Wilcox can all put points on the board.

He may have been overpaid at $9 million but I'd prefer he'd stay on the team over some veterans minimum pick-up.

« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Hes the same player right now but youre crazy if you think he wont get better.  All players get better, especially ones with alot of potential, and at every turn of Greens career he has battled setbacks that have temporarily stunted his growth in the nba.  He is playing as good as he was in OKC yet he still is only beginning to gel with his new team... When he told reporters the other day that he was still only 90 percent back to his old physical shape, did you think he was lying or purposely setting us all up for a huge disappointment?

Just curious.. what section were you in?

EXACTLY. why cant anyone see jeff green has more potential than anyone on the Cs. Anyone who is hating is not a cetlic fan or only pays attention to stats. Jeff does so much more than doesn't show up in the box score and has more grit or heart than most players in the nba.

« Reply #189 on: November 26, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
easily the 3-4 best player on this team and an absolute steal at 8 million. one poor game doesn't take away from his inspiring play thus far. dont forget he had 17 against his former team. off the bench too and off heart surgery.

« Reply #190 on: November 26, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anyone who is hating is not a cetlic fan or only pays attention to stats. Jeff does so much more than doesn't show up in the box score and has more grit or heart than most players in the nba.

1.  Comments like "Anyone who is hating is not a cetlic fan" are not only inaccurate, but they're specifically against our rules;

2.  Outside of Celtics fans, I don't think you'd fine many observers who would agree that Jeff Green plays with a lot of grit or a lot of heart, certainly not more than the average player.  The most common criticism of Green is that he's too passive, and that he doesn't play with a ton of hustle.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
I don't really think Green played passive at all last night...

I liked the effort, just the results were poor...but I'll take him looking for his shot 9times

« Reply #192 on: November 26, 2012, 09:59:02 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
easily the 3-4 best player on this team and an absolute steal at 8 million. one poor game doesn't take away from his inspiring play thus far. dont forget he had 17 against his former team. off the bench too and off heart surgery.

Easily? A steal? Sorry Green has done hardly anything to prove that, and I put that in the nicest way possible. I'm optimistic about Green but he's only scored in double digits 5 times in 14 games. If that's the C's 3rd or 4th best player they are in trouble. And one game where he had 17 points doesn't necessarily make up for several straight games of single digit scoring. Let's wait for some consistency. Acie earl scored 40 points and had 18 rebounds once. Didn't do much for his career going forward.

I don't really think Green played passive at all last night...

I liked the effort, just the results were poor...but I'll take him looking for his shot 9times

My thoughts exactly. He looked like he was trying to build off his performance against OKC but was just off.

« Reply #193 on: November 27, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »

Offline Shad0wman

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10

Absolutely, please make a thread when Jeff Green is a world beater. I know I bash him hard, and in the back of my mind I really hope he succeeds somehow, but the only thing I can go by is his effort and play and I don't see it in him at all. If making one great dunk and scoring 17 points makes a bballer a world beater and an all-star. ok then, I've walked into some parallel world where overpaid bench dudes have somehow become this teams savior. uh huh. Next good game he plays you dump all the praise you want on him, I'll be here the other 8 out of 10 games talking truth.

« Reply #194 on: December 01, 2012, 07:36:06 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Just wanted the OP to comment after las
Next good game he plays you dump all the praise you want on him, I'll be here the other 8 out of 10 games talking truth.

Truth talking begin, plz.