Author Topic: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player  (Read 26808 times)

Re: I think Jeff Green is a HORRIBLE BB player
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 717
just a question for the anti-green crowd, what do you guys exactly want Green to average ppg wise to consider his contract a good one?

if he ends up averaging 12ppg this year, is that solid enough? im not saying he has lived up to his contract or even played well so far this year....hes obviously slumping but seems to be headed in the right direction.

but is it 20-25ppg?? because given his role with the celtics, playing 20-25 minutes off the bench taking 6-7 shots I think its unrealistic to expect that.

because all these guys are using as a contrast, Kirilenko/batum etc.  im not sure if they would average more than 12ppg playing a similar role

11 - 12 ppg would be fine - it's the lack of rebounding and assists that bother me stat-wise. he is supposed to be this all-around facilitator type player and he has not been.

but the worst part is his lack of toughness. he's not expected to be any kind of enforcer, but he could at least hold his ground out there and he does tend to disappear in the middle of tough games against tough teams. the guy just has no presence on the court.

if he were our 8th man and we were paying him , say, $5 mil, than ............on second thought, i still wouldn't want him. he simply does not fit this team's personality and i don't see him making any difference when he's on the court - he doesn't add anything towards winning games.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Glad the threads were combined.

Had Danny let Green go, there is a very strong chance that he'd be starting for a lesser team, would be scoring 12-16 PPG in an offense where he'd be featured and less restrained, and there would be a 20 page thread here entitled "Ainge is a HORRIBLE GM, he gave away Perk for nothing!"

There have been numerous examples of being too quick to pass judgement here -- give Green at least 20 games to find himself. 

« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
just a question for the anti-green crowd, what do you guys exactly want Green to average ppg wise to consider his contract a good one?

if he ends up averaging 12ppg this year, is that solid enough? im not saying he has lived up to his contract or even played well so far this year....hes obviously slumping but seems to be headed in the right direction.

but is it 20-25ppg?? because given his role with the celtics, playing 20-25 minutes off the bench taking 6-7 shots I think its unrealistic to expect that.

because all these guys are using as a contrast, Kirilenko/batum etc.  im not sure if they would average more than 12ppg playing a similar role

11 - 12 ppg would be fine - it's the lack of rebounding and assists that bother me stat-wise. he is supposed to be this all-around facilitator type player and he has not been.

but the worst part is his lack of toughness. he's not expected to be any kind of enforcer, but he could at least hold his ground out there and he does tend to disappear in the middle of tough games against tough teams. the guy just has no presence on the court.

if he were our 8th man and we were paying him , say, $5 mil, than ............on second thought, i still wouldn't want him. he simply does not fit this team's personality and i don't see him making any difference when he's on the court - he doesn't add anything towards winning games.

This is more of a side issue, Why do fans get obsessed with what a player makes? It's not my money, If Wick wants to pay Jeff about 2 million more than I think he's worth a year what do I care?

I mean, it would be diffrent if it affected who we could have brought in this year, but it didn't because we are already well over the cap and had to use bird rights on him.

Plus, 8 mill a year = easily tradable. most starters worth a darn are making that kinda money, so I'm not to concerned about it going forward.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #138 on: November 17, 2012, 05:12:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

This is more of a side issue, Why do fans get obsessed with what a player makes? It's not my money, If Wick wants to pay Jeff about 2 million more than I think he's worth a year what do I care?

I mean, it would be diffrent if it affected who we could have brought in this year, but it didn't because we are already well over the cap and had to use bird rights on him.

Plus, 8 mill a year = easily tradable. most starters worth a darn are making that kinda money, so I'm not to concerned about it going forward.

well, it kind of did. Because we used the MLE we are hard-capped, and therefore have severe trade restrictions, so if a good trade becomes available, we cannot do it if we take on more salary than we give out.

Second, 8 mil per year is easily tradeable if the player is good. So far, green has shown no evidence that he is. Yes, starters worth a darn are making that amount of money. Problem is, thus far green is not worth a darn.

Third, no team has made overpaying for role players long term a key part of a successful long term strategy. That's the kind of thinking the Knicks usually employ.

« Reply #139 on: November 17, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

well, it kind of did. Because we used the MLE we are hard-capped, and therefore have severe trade restrictions, so if a good trade becomes available, we cannot do it if we take on more salary than we give out.

Second, 8 mil per year is easily tradeable if the player is good. So far, green has shown no evidence that he is. Yes, starters worth a darn are making that amount of money. Problem is, thus far green is not worth a darn.

Third, no team has made overpaying for role players long term a key part of a successful long term strategy. That's the kind of thinking the Knicks usually employ.

You assume they think he's a role player long term. How long do you think Pierce has, realistically, in his legs 2 years? mabey 3?

I would not be shocked to see JG starting for this team within two years.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #140 on: November 17, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501

TP. Couldn't agree more about the $$, especially in this case.  All he needs to do is show his talent (which I think he will) and he will be marketable in a package.  In fact, going in a trade with one of the lower salaried guys will be tempting for a team wanting to get potential in return for a 10 mil veteran (or package).

But my hope is he contributes consistently here.  I don't care if he contributes $9 million worth.  Just help this team on a regular basis.

« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

You assume they think he's a role player long term. How long do you think Pierce has, realistically, in his legs 2 years? mabey 3?

Yes, so he may be a starter then. But likely still not worth a darn.

« Reply #142 on: November 17, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

did you feel that way when he was averaging 16.5 PPG and 7 rebounds playing out of position in OKC before they got Ibaka?

I think he'd be fine as one of your top options on offense, assuming the Celtics pushed the ball, which is what rondo does when the old guys get off the floor.

He's a poor man's Danny Granger. I'd pay 8 for that if he was starting.

« Reply #143 on: November 17, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

did you feel that way when he was averaging 16.5 PPG and 7 rebounds playing out of position in OKC before they got Ibaka?

I think he'd be fine as one of your top options on offense, assuming the Celtics pushed the ball, which is what rondo does when the old guys get off the floor.

Yep. He has never exceeded MLE or slightly above money. Ever. His numbers have been consistently inefficient, have not improved with NBA experience, and have been inflated by huge minutes. 15 points per game in over 35 minutes at an inefficient clip is, frankly, extremely unimpressively average, a completely empty number, unless that player brings something else to the table, like: Defense, Rebounding, Assist/playmaking, or a cheap contract. Green used to be cheap, but now has none of the other stuff.

Edit: Essentially, at no point in his career has he ever shown any indication that he is even as good, let alone better, than marvin williams or al harrington, both of whom have been considered overpaid why both were making less than green in an older CBA that had higher average contracts.

« Reply #144 on: November 17, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »

Offline jowwwman

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11

He was averaging 16.5 ppg in 37 minutes of playing time on a team that had no offensive options besides Kevin Durant.

Green is lucky he was drafted so high to a team that was starved for scoring. If he was drafted onto any other team with slightly more offensive talents no one would even be talking about this guy.

Green won't ever be good enough as a starter on a contending team and doesn't have enough basketball IQ or play with the intensity to even be a key role player in a contender like Posey. He is a solid number 2 option on a bottom dwelling team similar to a poor man's corey maggette.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:05:40 PM by jowwwman »

« Reply #145 on: November 17, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
a poor man's corey maggette.

Now there is something I thought I'd never read.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #146 on: November 17, 2012, 06:59:39 PM »

Offline jowwwman

• The Green Kornet
a poor man's corey maggette.

Now there is something I thought I'd never read.

Maggette averaged 22ppg 7rb and 3.5ast at one point in his career. Green is about on par with the current maggette.

« Reply #147 on: November 17, 2012, 07:41:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

He was averaging 16.5 ppg in 37 minutes of playing time on a team that had no offensive options besides Kevin Durant.

Green is lucky he was drafted so high to a team that was starved for scoring.

Are you kidding me?

The Jeff Green trade happened in 2010.

These three guys say hi!

Now you can argue that harden was a rookie and the 4th offensive option that year (although he still averaged 13 PPG in that, his second season) but Green was traded so that they could get ibaka more playing time, since Green was hogging the minutes at the 4 due to Durant having the 3 on lock down, and add toughness via perk, but Scorers were not a problem for the 2010 Thunder.

To say that the 2010 thunder lacked scoring outside durant might be the most ridiculous statement in a long line of ridiculous statements here on celticsblog.

What they lacked was defense. that's why they were willing to give up a scorer to get it.

Just so were clear, this team that was "starved for scoring behind Durant" scored 104 points a game that year.

http://www.82games.com/1011/1011OKC3.HTM

JG's stats were clearly affected by their lack of offensive options  ::)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:47:58 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:09 PM »

Offline jowwwman

• The Green Kornet

Are you kidding me?

These three guys say hi!

Now you can argue that harden was a rookie and the 4th offensive option that year (although he still averaged 13 PPG in that, his second season) but Green was traded so that they could get ibaka more playing time, since Green was hogging the minutes at the 4 due to Durant having the 3 on lock down, and add toughness via perk, but Scorers were not a problem for the 2010 Thunder.

To say that the 2010 thunder lacked scoring outside durant might be the most ridiculous statement in a long line of ridiculous statements here on celticsblog.

What they lacked was defense. that's why they were willing to give up a scorer to get it.

Just so were clear, this team that was "starved for scoring behind Durant" scored 104 points a game that year.

I was talking about the 2008 season. Why don't you read the post I was replying to before you gloat.

« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2012, 07:59:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Are you kidding me?

These three guys say hi!

I was talking about the 2008 season. Why don't you read the post I was replying to before you gloat.

No you weren't. you were replying to my post about Green's average PPG during his OKC career before the trade. Don't get all upset because facts didn't bare out your gut feelings.

If you want to change your argument though, go right ahead. If you go Just by that year, which is what I assume you want to do now, His PPG average as the third option for just that year was 15.2 PPG.

Somehow they got all this scoring yet he was still right about where he had been as a starter, though his rebounds dipped by 1.5 to a bit over 5.

Assuming he takes over for Pierce and repeats 15/5 numbers with good defense, then he's a good bridge to our next SF, If he improves on that, then 8 mill is a bargain.