Author Topic: Big Al would consider rejoining the Celtics in FA  (Read 1934 times)

Big Al would consider rejoining the Celtics in FA
« on: November 15, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
http://www.csnne.com/11/14/12/Jefferson-would-love-to-return-to-Boston/nbcsportsceltics.html?blockID=802049&feedID=10424

Just thought it was interesting. Why even attempt to trade for him midseason if we could just acquire him in FA? Theoretically if neither Smith (which he probably will be one way or another) or Big Al are traded at the deadline we could get both in FA, barring cap restrictions. Definitely an interesting thought

Re: Big Al would consider rejoining the Celtics in FA
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 12:19:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
http://www.csnne.com/11/14/12/Jefferson-would-love-to-return-to-Boston/nbcsportsceltics.html?blockID=802049&feedID=10424

Just thought it was interesting. Why even attempt to trade for him midseason if we could just acquire him in FA? Theoretically if neither Smith (which he probably will be one way or another) or Big Al are traded at the deadline we could get both in FA, barring cap restrictions. Definitely an interesting thought

Do we have any cap space at the end of this year?  I thought this offseason tied us up for the next 3 years
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 12:25:16 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Do we have any cap space at the end of this year?  I thought this offseason tied us up for the next 3 years

I imagine most players do not know different teams future cap situation as well as fans do. 

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
No where in that article does Al say he loves Boston.  Gotta love the misleading headline, it just references briefly that Al would consider coming back to Boston in the offseason.  Just like I'm sure he would consider going to every single team in the offseason, depending on role and contract offer.

And the others are correct, Boston destroyed its ability to be free agent players any time in the next 3 years last offseason.  Gave way too much money to role players and destroyed all long term flexibility to make a last ditch effort to win a title, which will not happen without a significant move at the trade deadline anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, the Celtics won't be siging any major FA's this upcoming off-season unless KG and Pierce retire.  Even then it's dicey.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I imagine most players do not know different teams future cap situation as well as fans do.

... nor do the reporters asking these questions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

True.  Although they also understand that sign and trades can always make things happen.

Ultimately though, this appears to be a puff piece, where a reporter asked him whether he would like to come to Boston, and he answered it.  Doesn't mean they are actually on his radar (or he is on theirs).

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
And the others are correct, Boston destroyed its ability to be free agent players any time in the next 3 years last offseason.  Gave way too much money to role players and destroyed all long term flexibility to make a last ditch effort to win a title, which will not happen without a significant move at the trade deadline anyway.

Yeah!  Why can't we be more like Dallas or Houston and worry about salary cap space more than winning!  [dang] you Ainge!!!!

Mike

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
No, he doesn't say he would love to come back. But if you read the SBnation article on the front page he clearly has love for Doc and the organization.

I always liked Big Al. He seems like he's matured into a real hard working head down kind of guy. He tapped Jeff Green on the shoulder as if to show respect after getting posterized. Even if it wasn't completely sincere, that takes more balls and humility than I have.

I thought after that game with him and KG last year he handled himself really well in the postgame interview and was respectful.

Trade-wise, I'd be as happy to have him as Smith despite his defensive shortcomings. And a little less happy than I'd be with Varejao... until his first injury.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

Big Al Jefferson would be the best piece for the Celtics,      he´s the best center in the league, Danny Ainge should be consider this.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'm pretty sure that, all other things being equal, AJ would definitely choose returning to Boston and playing for Doc over almost anywhere else.  However, the Celtics are unlikely to be able to offer anything close to equal what other teams can.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
No where in that article does Al say he loves Boston.  Gotta love the misleading headline, it just references briefly that Al would consider coming back to Boston in the offseason.  Just like I'm sure he would consider going to every single team in the offseason, depending on role and contract offer.

Filling that cap space and acquiring all those trade chips is probably actually part of the bigger plan to win the title. Exactly which role players are we locked down with for 3 years which we can't trade?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I would love a reporter clarifying this for Big Al.
Big Al:I'd love to play in Boston again
Reporter: Did you know they can only offer you the midlevel which is less than half what you are making now correct?
Big Al: Interview over! and I retract my previous statement.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19