Author Topic: Magic Johnson calls out Jim Buss  (Read 1914 times)

Magic Johnson calls out Jim Buss
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »

Offline Chelm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Uh oh in Laker-land...

"I love Dr. (Jerry) Buss. I don't believe in Jim Buss," Johnson said on ESPN's "NBA Countdown" on Wednesday night. "He's made two critical mistakes already. To me, they made two critical mistakes. First, hiring Mike Brown -- he wasn't the right coach. He's a great coach but not the right coach for the Lakers. And I don't feel Mike D'Antoni is the right coach for the Lakers. Especially when you have Phil Jackson sitting out there, who wanted to be the Laker coach. Jim Buss decided he didn't want Phil Jackson, he wanted Mike D'Antoni. And that's OK, but why didn't you just say that? But the fans were cheering for Phil Jackson two nights in a row."

Re: Magic Johnson calls out Jim Buss
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:12 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Saw that on the pre-game show, not suprised he went after Jim Buss now that he's divested from his official capacity in the organization.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Magic Johnson's "analysis" on almost anything these days is a joke.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't really care about Magic's opinion, but it seemed like Jim Buss bristled at the notion Phil could name his own price to come back, including an ownership share (if reports are accurate). 

Nothing wrong with Phil trying to get what he can, but it was a poor strategic move to make the new boss feel like he's being walked all over by the old boss' guy, especially when the old boss is named "Dad".  Bound to get some pushback there.

Anyway, all's well that ends with the Lakers losing, so hopefully this move will help accomplish that.  :)

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't really care about Magic's opinion, but it seemed like Jim Buss bristled at the notion Phil could name his own price to come back, including an ownership share (if reports are accurate). 

Nothing wrong with Phil trying to get what he can, but it was a poor strategic move to make the new boss feel like he's being walked all over by the old boss' guy, especially when the old boss is named "Dad".  Bound to get some pushback there.

Anyway, all's well that ends with the Lakers losing, so hopefully this move will help accomplish that.  :)
Jim Buss bristled at anything and everything Jackson. Since he became "active" with the Lakers he's been pushing his sister and Jackson out.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Magic is taking the D'Antoni hiring really hard. I read he took a couple of days off twitter to mourn. He needs to get over it.  It's really not that serious.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
The Lakers are all WHINING and crying....BOO HOO  ;D ...another KOBE year going ..DOWN THE DRAIN ...HEE HEE HEE...maybe ONE MORE left, and hopefully DH leaves that ZOO in CA.

By XMAS , I suspect the laker nation, bussart , Magic , and all the million other media supporters will be wanting D'antoni head on platter.  Probally doesn't matter how good the record is , they are convinced they can 't win without the old grey bearded dude sitting on his hi -chair. :D

If Jackson wanted Jim Buss to like him....then try not messing around with someones sister .... ;D

Jackson is a sleaszy scum ...glade Jim Buss dispises him.

Hello Magic not your team ...temper tantrums ??...JIM BUSS is not your whipping boy ,it HIS TEAM....he doesn't give a rats behind what YOU THINK .

Jackson needs to go back to his nursing home and play shuffleboard.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
He also said Jeff Van Gundy would have been a good choice. I don't know about that.

Magic has no success as either a coach or GM (like MJ), yet his opinions are held up by many as though he has.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
He also said Jeff Van Gundy would have been a good choice. I don't know about that.

Magic has no success as either a coach or GM (like MJ), yet his opinions are held up by many as though he has.
Jeff Van Gundy would have been a great choice for the current Lakers roster.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Why?

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
As much as he might be an annoying commentator, I think JVG would have been a great coach for the lakers.  I think he is a very smart basketball mind, and I think he would have done fine.

I know everyone is quick to criticize magic, because he often isn't the best analyst.  But on the Jim Buss thing, I think he is 100% correct.  Brown should have never been hired, and once he was fired, P Jackson is the better coach to replace him.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 04:00:08 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Magic seems like a guy that loves to burn bridges.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Why?
I think he'd do a good job with Gasol/Howard and taking advantage of their size, which is the strength of this team.