Author Topic: Mid-Season Trade: Who Best Fits the Celtics? J.Smith, A.Jefferson, or A.Varejao?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline Stizz44

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Internet rumors have been swirling about these 3 players coming to the Celtics. But which one of these guys best fits our team this season and moving forward for years to come?

I’d say Varejao right now for Banner # 18. But moving forward, idk.

Josh Smith has publicly advocated his love for Boston. And would be great for the future, but idk about Banner #18 with him.

Al Jefferson is pretty much the same boat as Smith.

I guess it’s gonna come down to which one of these guys take a pay cut for next season? Does 10million per  do the job?

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Internet rumors have been swirling about these 3 players coming to the Celtics.

Trade ideas moreso than rumors, I'd say.

For this team, I'd rank them Varejao, Smith, Big Al.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Varejao ... would put the Celtics nearly on par with LA and Miami in a series battle. If you COULD keep Bradley & Rondo & Pierce ,KG, Wilcox and Sully....then I would say trade for him.

Next close choice would be Josh Smith.....again same players need to be kept as above to work (worth the effort) . Better for future buiding.

Jefferson ... ok ...but not in the same league as IMO as Varejao/Smith... Might trade a couple good players.  But , I might just rather have Green + Bass over Al Jefferson.

Rather have Milsap than Jefferson.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:55:09 AM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
For another big our main needs are:
1. Mobility - someone quick enough to defend P&R
2. Defense - ability defend the post when KG sits
3. Rebounding - self explanatory
4. Scoring - ability to score SOME points if needed
5. Potential - needs to be able to lead when KG retires

For me Smith is the top option.  He's as athletic as they come, he's an elite inside/outside defender, he's an excellent rebounder, he can score when called upon, and he his potential is through the roof.

Second is Varejao - he is big, strong and tough but he's still mobile enough to defend quicker guys.  He's an elite rebounder and defender, but scoring is inconsistent and his potential is limited - he's probably not going to ever be more than a role player.

Last is Jefferson.  He's too slow to defend the P&R, he's a mediocre defender in general, and IMHO he's already reached his peak and will not improve further.  His best skills are scoring and rebounding, but we need the other things more.

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'd say cost is most important thing.  We cannot trade Green without getting a sf in return.  Contract wise I think that takes Smith out(?) it would be Bass + matching salaries for smith.  Bradley is coming off double surgery so doesn't make sense to have him be part as his value is low.  Per my usual I wouldn't even think of this trade unless Smith signed an extension.
Al, love his offense and rebounding but he is weak on defense and $$$.
I don't see Varejao being available but at the price he is probably best fit.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Varajao by far.  Not only does he provide the defensive and rebounding presence, along with the ability to be an elite defensive center, but his contract is much easier to match, and he has two years remaining at a very reasonable (if not bargain) price. 

Of course, for all those reasons, I think it might take a kings ransom to pry him away.

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
lets get them all
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Definitely Varejao but I think it would have been easier to trade for him last year when the Cavs were completely in rebuild mode.  They are starting to form an identity now.

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Josh Smith. If you look at the Celts starting lineup, they don't currently have an athletic power forward that can rebound and take the ball to the net. Getting Smith would solve that and put the Celts on par with Miami.

Bass is a decent PF but undersized for his position.

I think between KG, Wilcox, Darko and Collins (if they ever play), the center position is/should be set for now.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Sideshow would be the best fit.

I am torn between the other two. 

Offline Stizz44

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Definitely Varejao but I think it would have been easier to trade for him last year when the Cavs were completely in rebuild mode.  They are starting to form an identity now.

IDK, I think the current CAVS roster is a first round playoff exit at best. They need to tank for at least 2 more seasons if they are following the OKC rebuild model. And this is why I think we can get Varejao cheap.

Send them:
Bass(professional vetern)
Joseph (young talent/rookie contract)
Melo (young talent/rookie contract)
Collins (expiring contract)
and a 1 rounder.

CAVS win with young talent, picks, and helping Celtics beat Lebron.

Celtics win with Banner #18.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

IDK, I think the current CAVS roster is a first round playoff exit at best. They need to tank for at least 2 more seasons if they are following the OKC rebuild model. And this is why I think we can get Varejao cheap.

Send them:
and a 1 rounder.

They have their superstar already, and a couple other nice looking young players in Waiters and Thompson, Zeller looked good before he got hurt too, along with a lot of valuable cap space and some other decent assets. 

Now is the point where they start adding veterans, and using their cap space to build a winning team around their young core, not giving away valuable big men on bargain contracts for 50 cents on the dollar.

I think people don't realize that Varajao has been arguably one of the top 5 big men in the league so far this season. You aren't getting that for a bunch of mediocre pieces.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Send them:
and a 1 rounder.

They have their superstar already, and a couple other nice looking young players in Waiters and Thompson, Zeller looked good before he got hurt too, along with a lot of valuable cap space and some other decent assets. 

Now is the point where they start adding veterans, and using their cap space to build a winning team around their young core, not giving away valuable big men on bargain contracts for 50 cents on the dollar.

I think people don't realize that Varajao has been arguably one of the top 5 big men in the league so far this season. You aren't getting that for a bunch of mediocre pieces.

I still believe it will take them falling in love with Green since SF is the only spot they do not have set moving forward. 

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I pick "none of the above."

What would it take to pry away Gortat from the Suns.

He's my 1st choice. What can we get the Suns to get him? What do they want? Do we need to get a 3rd team involved.

They are always looking to save $$$$. What about Sullinger/Melo/Bradley and whatever filler is needed (maybe an expiring from a 3rd team?)

I know we are trading our future, but Gortat and KG and Wilcox and Bass and Green sound like more than enough of a frontcourt. 18 and even 19 would be in play with that group. The future, not so much, but it seems like we are about the here and now.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I pick "none of the above."

What would it take to pry away Gortat from the Suns.

He's my 1st choice. What can we get the Suns to get him? What do they want? Do we need to get a 3rd team involved.

They are always looking to save $$$$. What about Sullinger/Melo/Bradley and whatever filler is needed (maybe an expiring from a 3rd team?)

I know we are trading our future, but Gortat and KG and Wilcox and Bass and Green sound like more than enough of a frontcourt. 18 and even 19 would be in play with that group. The future, not so much, but it seems like we are about the here and now.
Gortat would be good too.  I'm happy you didn't say Beasley, who everyone seems to want.  He continues to be horrible.