Author Topic: Mid-Season Trade: Who Best Fits the Celtics? J.Smith, A.Jefferson, or A.Varejao?  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Definitely Varejao but I think it would have been easier to trade for him last year when the Cavs were completely in rebuild mode.  They are starting to form an identity now.

IDK, I think the current CAVS roster is a first round playoff exit at best. They need to tank for at least 2 more seasons if they are following the OKC rebuild model. And this is why I think we can get Varejao cheap.

Send them:
Bass(professional vetern)
Joseph (young talent/rookie contract)
Melo (young talent/rookie contract)
Collins (expiring contract)
and a 1 rounder.

CAVS win with young talent, picks, and helping Celtics beat Lebron.

Celtics win with Banner #18.

They have their superstar already, and a couple other nice looking young players in Waiters and Thompson, Zeller looked good before he got hurt too, along with a lot of valuable cap space and some other decent assets. 

Now is the point where they start adding veterans, and using their cap space to build a winning team around their young core, not giving away valuable big men on bargain contracts for 50 cents on the dollar.

I think people don't realize that Varajao has been arguably one of the top 5 big men in the league so far this season. You aren't getting that for a bunch of mediocre pieces.

I still believe it will take them falling in love with Green since SF is the only spot they do not have set moving forward.

Yeah, that would have the be the start of any trade with the Cavs.  But I think we would have to give up a lot in addition to Green to get Varajao.  It wouldn't make a ton of sense for them to weaken one of their biggest strengths (particularly without a great option to replace him), in order to upgrade a weakness.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I just don't think Varajao is available at all, unless they are getting a star in return.

However, where their need for a SF could play a role, is if we want to make a trade with another team (maybe Atlanta or Utah), who prefer cap space over Jeff Green, Cleveland could absorb his salary, and send a pick or two to help make a three-way deal happen.

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
just so I have it straight in my head, we can NOT trade Jeff Green till the offseason at the earliest, right?

what's the rule that falls under?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
just so I have it straight in my head, we can NOT trade Jeff Green till the offseason at the earliest, right?

This from RealGM trade checker:

"Jeff Green from Boston Celtics

Green recently signed a contract and, as a result, he cannot be traded until Jan 15, 2013."

Not sure how accurate this is, but that's what it says when I tried a trade for Gortat.

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

This from RealGM trade checker:

"Jeff Green from Boston Celtics

Green recently signed a contract and, as a result, he cannot be traded until Jan 15, 2013."

Not sure how accurate this is.

this is correct.

does Varejao make THAT much more than Green ? I thought their prices wew close ?

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Another poster was indicating Green can't be traded this season, as well.  I'm not sure if that's accurate, as I don't know what rule it falls under.

I agree with csfansince60s that we can't trade him until January 15.  That's the earliest a player in Green's circumstances can be traded (i.e., a player with Bird rights who re-signs with his team that is over the cap, and receives more than a 20% raise on his prior salary).

EDIT:  Salary cap guru Larry Coon agrees:

Badax33:

Larry

Question about the Celtics and Jeff Green. Can Green be traded this season? I’ve had people say that because he didn’t play last year he can’t be traded until he plays the entire 2012/2013 season – Keith Van Horn Rule. However, I’ve read your FAQs (several times) and see ONLY that he can’t be included in a S&T (which is the Keith Van Horn Rule). But once he signed a new FA deal, he becomes tradable (like an other FA or traded player) in either Dec or Jan (FAQ 96 or 98). Am I correct? Thanks

Larry Coon:

The Keith Van Horn rule relates to sign-and-trade transactions only. Green can be traded on Jan 15.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-salary-cap-chat-with-larry-coon-101912/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I love Big Al but I don't want him back. Any big we're going to trade for needs to be an elite defender. Smith would be too expensive for my tastes. Varejao shameless flopping aside would be the best choice. He gives us hustle, rebounding, athleticism. That'll be interesting Nene will be the only Brazilian in the league not on our team.

I see Green being near impossible to trade this season because I don't know who'll want to pick up that contract so soon. And if someone does we'll need to find a quality SF to backup Pierce.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Offline blastoidesroidsnoids

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Face it, we aren't trading green. Its absurd that his name would come up over one of our many 2's. Our best bet is to go after a big whos team could use a new starting SG

Offline edwardjkasche

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
For everyone wondering, any player that signed a free agent contract prior to the beginning of the 2012 season can be traded beginning on December 15, 2012.  This includes Green.

I love that everyone is on-board with Varejao.  He'd be the best fit for this team, and would allow for KG to bounce between PF and C depending on game situations.  Varejao rebounds, can score around the rim, and plays with a mean streak that we really haven't had since Perk left.  Imagine how his mean streak will play against Bron Bron, who abandoned him in Cleveland.  I'm thinking Varejao would love a chance to smash into Bron near the basket during the playoffs.  He's also the cheapest option of the three.

Smith and Big Al are a toss up.  They're both pricey, would probably cost more players to bring in, and they both have flaws in their game which would limit their use here - Smith settles for far too many long-2s, Big Al is sometimes very passive and seems a bit too nice on the court (def doesn't have Varejao's mean streak). 

• Kristaps Porzingis
Big Al would be worth it. SO what Varejao gives 2 or 3 more rebounds, al would give us like 9 more points inside and help us spread the floor much more.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Face it, we aren't trading green. Its absurd that his name would come up over one of our many 2's. Our best bet is to go after a big whos team could use a new starting SG

Not really.

He plays behind Pierce.

He is young enough.

His contract is big enough not to need a lot of filler.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For everyone wondering, any player that signed a free agent contract prior to the beginning of the 2012 season can be traded beginning on December 15, 2012.  This includes Green.

That's not true.  For certain players -- Bird or Early Bird free agents who re-sign with a team over the cap, and who receive a 20%+ raise -- they can't be traded until January 15.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

• Kristaps Porzingis

Not really.

He plays behind Pierce.

He is young enough.

Its big enough, yes, but for the receiving end team whos losing their best big they're not gonna be happy with green as the only piece. Not many teams believe in his potential.
And pierce is pierce but every star needs a back up especially after 14 seasons

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Not really.

He plays behind Pierce.

He is young enough.

Its big enough, yes, but for the receiving end team whos losing their best big they're not gonna be happy with green as the only piece. Not many teams believe in his potential.
And pierce is pierce but every star needs a back up especially after 14 seasons

It depends on the team and the player.

A team may fall in love with Green.  A team may have to move a big. 

And chances are more pieces will have to be included. 

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Smith
Varejao

Big Al

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I like AJefferson, but he can't guard a chair.

I think I like AVerejao more than JSmith.  At least you know AVerajao is going to be a menace every night.  JSmith tends to take plays off....not to mention he can shoot you out of a run(ala Antoine Walker)