Author Topic: We SHOULD have the best bench in the league  (Read 4656 times)

Re: We SHOULD have the best bench in the league
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 11:05:13 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The bench looks good tonight.  Barbosa was a heck of a pickup... he has been our best bench player so far this year.

I think they'll start to jell as the year goes on, and we'll get this kind of performance pretty often.  Lee, especially, is a lot better than he has been playing.

Ya I'm not gonna lie, barbosa was an afterthought in my mind. End of the bench depth but he's been terrific.

I also feel bad for lee, I've been a fan since his Orlando days and the guy is just a solid basketball player but he's still searching for his role

Same here about Barbosa.  I figured that he'd get some spot minutes early and then would ride the bench when Bradley comes back.  So far, it looks like he has a role on this team - we don't have many players who will attack the basket like he does.

Lee is a good on-ball defender, but it looks like he gets caught wandering off the ball sometimes.  I don't really have a problem with him on offense, though.  The numbers aren't there, but he's taking good shots.  They'll start to fall. 

Looks like Jeff Green is starting to hit his stride, too.

??????  We have way more players this year who can attack the rack than we did last year. We have pierce, rondo, barbosa, green and even KG attacked it tonight. Bass has before also. Bradley can also. KG did good when he posted up. he has not been good the last two games on the jumpers. This team is progressing though. Wilcox, Barbosa and Green played great. Guys are finding their roles. We just need to play better defense.

You are right. But Atzar has a point: It's great to have a back up pg who can attack the rim, like Barbosa does. And he is more relentless than any other on this team.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I haven't been watching the games that much, how has Terry been doing?

Didnt get many chances tonight but he's been finishing what he's been given at a reasonable clip so far.

He is good for around 10-12 points a game.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 08:53:58 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wouldn't say Barbosa has been our best bench player...

Terry was more consistent when he was coming off the bench, and so was Bass when he was.  Wilcox has started to be pretty consistent too.

Barbosa has been great but it's been on and off - lights out one night, no impact the next. 

Still LOVING what I'm seeing from him so far though!! If he gets more consistent with his production we are going to be a seriously beastly team.

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I haven't been watching the games that much, how has Terry been doing?

Didnt get many chances tonight but he's been finishing what he's been given at a reasonable clip so far.
Yeah Doc went big with Green/Pierce at the wings along with two true bigs and Barbosa for much of the game.

It was good for a lot of easy buckets on Foye/Haywood via the matchup of Pierce/Green and eventually they swapped Millsap onto Green defensively.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
I don't think its that clear cut to be honest...plenty of good benches this season

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 09:05:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't care what anybody says ... Barbosa just went off on the Jazz last night.  He was a wildman , he kept the Jazz reeling/off balance , and backing up with his contineous ball motion and slashing to the bucket.

Barbosa , Green and Wilcox and Lee work REALLY GOOD together.

Barbosa didn't give the Jazz time to settle in on defense .  ROndo could LEARN from watching Barbosa , this energy ball movemnet simular to Bradley is really what the Celtics need.

I love DOC giving Barbosa free rein as Point Guard ...just mkae stuff happen ..and he does !!   

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am a little nervous that the Celtic's bench is a little to heavy on the "all-around" talent and lack the necessary "specialty" talent.

I keep thinking about the '08 bench.  It didn't have the good all-around talent.  It had players that would fill specific roles perfectly.

Posey - defense and outside shooting at the 3/4
House - downtown threat
Powe - rebounding energy (specifically offensive)
PJ Brown - defensive/rebound big man
Scali - 12th man excellent.
TA - defensive pest

Remember the talk about how much better the Laker bench was going into the finals to watch the Celtics role players off the bench kill them by doing their roles.

Yes, talented. 

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think its that clear cut to be honest...plenty of good benches this season
I think that Boston's bench has some of the best talent/potential on it. Now its a matter of getting that performance out of it.

A lot of the good benches early are often based on unsustainable shooting in the small sample.

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I am a little nervous that the Celtic's bench is a little to heavy on the "all-around" talent and lack the necessary "specialty" talent.

I keep thinking about the '08 bench.  It didn't have the good all-around talent.  It had players that would fill specific roles perfectly.

House - downtown threat
TA - defensive pest

Remember the talk about how much better the Laker bench was going into the finals to watch the Celtics role players off the bench kill them by doing their roles.

Yes, talented.
Bradley - Defensive Pest
Barbosa - Offensive spark (not a pure shooter like house but he can shoot too)
Green - All around SF or small ball PF (Posey role without defensive focus really)
Wilcox - Offensive Big man, but not a rebounder/defender
Terry - Combo guard who can create off the dribble
Lee - solid defensive SG who can hit jumpers

I know one of Lee/Terry/Bradley will start of course, hopefully Bradley when he's healthy.

Biggest issue is that there is no PJ Brown type, or even a Perkins to play C with length when KG sits. Unless Darko suddenly becomes rotation worthy (not holding my breath)

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 09:19:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

House - downtown threat
TA - defensive pest

Yes, talented.
Bradley - Defensive Pest
Barbosa - Offensive spark (not a pure shooter like house but he can shoot too)
Green - All around SF or small ball PF (Posey role without defensive focus really)
Wilcox - Offensive Big man, but not a rebounder/defender
Terry - Combo guard who can create off the dribble
Lee - solid defensive SG who can hit jumpers

I know one of Lee/Terry/Bradley will start of course, hopefully Bradley when he's healthy.

Biggest issue is that there is no PJ Brown type, or even a Perkins to play C with length when KG sits. Unless Darko suddenly becomes rotation worthy (not holding my breath)

I am worried mostly about three pieces.

The outside shooter.

The Low Post threat. 

The big defensive garbage man

I have no issue with the all-around talent of Lee, Green and Terry.  It is great to have that off the bench.  I am just worried about the specific jobs that can help this team win.  (the 10 to 15 minute players)

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Celtics big man team is horrible.  KG is the only above average player in his role on the entire team.  Bass is well below average as starting PF's, Sullinger is well below average as a backup PF (at this point, he will get better), Wilcox is probably about average as a backup center (though he will get hurt any day now), Darko is below average as a 5th big man (and one who has only played in 1 game), and the C's don't have a 6th big man.

Barbosa, Terry, and Green are great at the 1/2/3 and would start on a lot of teams, but you can't just ignore the 4/5 positions which just aren't very good.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 09:27:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The Celtics big man team is horrible.  KG is the only above average player in his role on the entire team.  Bass is well below average as starting PF's, Sullinger is well below average as a backup PF (at this point, he will get better), Wilcox is probably about average as a backup center (though he will get hurt any day now), Darko is below average as a 5th big man (and one who has only played in 1 game), and the C's don't have a 6th big man.

Barbosa, Terry, and Green are great at the 1/2/3 and would start on a lot of teams, but you can't just ignore the 4/5 positions which just aren't very good.

That's the issue when trying to build big men bench through FA and late draft picks.  Good to decent big men cost to much and team try to hang onto them.

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 09:35:23 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think Lee/Terry/Barbosa are all solid options to space the floor from the guard position.

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 09:36:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think Lee/Terry/Barbosa are all solid options to space the floor from the guard position.

Looking at their numbers, you are probably right.

It then goes back to the big men.

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Looking at their numbers, you are probably right.

It then goes back to the big men.
And Bradley, I'd love to assume he continues his high level of play when he gets back but I can't. We need him to be our game changing perimeter defensively.