Author Topic: Why not this Roster change?  (Read 1462 times)

Why not this Roster change?
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
If we're not using Collins or Darko much, or most likely will only use one of them, if ever, why not change the roster a little -

1. Cut either Collins or Darko (make a choice)
2. Bring Melo back - keep him around the team to learn and try to find him 3-5 minutes a game when possible
3. Re-sign Pietrus for more depth at the small forward position.

KG / Collins OR Darko / Melo
Bass / Wilcox / Sully
Pierce / Green / Pietrus
Bradley / Lee / Joseph
Rondo / Jet / Barbosa

What's wrong with that lineup?

1. We basically have KG, Wilcox, Collins OR Darko and Melo at center
2. Bass, Wilcox, Sully and Green at PF
3. Pierce, Green, Pietrus and Joseph at SF

If some big man of better value (than Collins or Darko) becames available at the trade deadline, we could still decide to cut (Collins OR Darko), or Joseph, if we had to.

I'd really rather put time and effort into Melo than watching Darko and/or Collins ride the pine. I think two of them are redundant.

I also like the added depth behind Pierce by brining in Pietrus. 

What am I missing?

Re: Why not this Roster change?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Reportedly, Pietrus isn't interested in returning to Boston for a bit-part role at the veteran's minimum.

I think everyone would love to have him back as a third string SF behind Pierce and Green but Pietrus wants more playing time / more money. They just don't have enough to offer him.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:39:18 AM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
There are several obstacles to your proposed plan. 
1) Pietrus will not play for the vet min. which is the most we can offer him.  Danny has stated we do NOT have a Bi-annual available which would barely be over the vet min anyway. 
2) We can't keep cutting and adding players even for the vet min.  We have a HARD cap at 74.3 million.  This is not a tax issue because we used a full MLE which is not available to players over the umbrella.
3) Wilcox and KG are more likely to miss time than Pierce and Green.  KG is the oldest and plays less minutes than Pierce.  Wilcox has an extensive injury history while Jeff Green has not been injury prone.  Kris Joseph and Courtney Lee have also shown enough for me to not be overly concerned about our depth at small forward.
4) It will be interesting to see if Milicic and Collins will get time against 7ft offensive threats in the low post like Howard, Bynum, Duncan, Gasols, Hibbert etc.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I may have missed it but how does this help us at all?

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:54:26 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its just a couple weeks into the season.  It is way too early to say that we aren't going to use Darko (who has been injured) and Collins.

They are going to be really important at some point, whether it is because they earn playing time, or because they are needed due to injuries or just resting KG. 

And the reason Melo is in Maine, is not because there is no roster spot for him, it is because he needs to learn how to play basketball, and that is best done on a basketball court.  Since he is nowhere near ready to be on an NBA court, and NBDL one will suffice.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
If we were to cut one of Darko or Collins I would love them to make a run at Kenyon Martin

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I may have missed it but how does this help us at all?
It doesn't.

Just let Melo get time in Maine and let Darko and Collins be what they are, out of the rotation quality players that are there for insurance against short term injury. because, if you have to rely on Collins or Darko being a part of your regular rotation, you are not a contender for the title.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
That's a great reply Yogi, thanks for the input. TP

Well, hopefully those two guys will earn the time or be utilized against some of the other teams bigger guys when the opportunity presents itself.

1. KG is older and Wilcox is injury prone - if Collins and Darko can be effective and help reduce minutes a little it would be a nice bonus.

2. I've always liked it when we are the team bullying people with size when we can rather than Vice-versa. Would have enjoyed watching Darko physically mix it up with Boozer and especially with Noah - wack him a couple times.   

Maybe the two of the will get some burn tonight.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:48:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
What am I missing?
Let's see... Terry is not a really a PG, Joseph is definitely not a SG, Melo is not ready for 3 minutes in the big leagues, Pietrus isn't coming back. Oh, and  that's not how NBA rotations/bringing young players up works, but discussing this will take more than the space we've got here :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."