Author Topic: Gorman on Wilcox as primary backup big: 'I think the job is his'  (Read 2380 times)

Gorman on Wilcox as primary backup big: 'I think the job is his'
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Chris Wilcox might be my favorite Celtic (it's a toss-up between him and KG). I think he would've helped against Miami in last season's Eastern Conference Finals (though Bradley was definitely the biggest missing piece), and I think he's going to be a big contributor to the team this season. He's been getting more minutes lately, and producing, and I think he should be the first big off the bench (with Bass starting next to KG). Mike Gorman seems to agree:

Wilcox had an up-and-down game against Chicago, but finished strong with seven points and a pair of rebounds in 19 minutes off the bench. Has he secured the Celtics’ backup center role? Gorman thinks so.

“I think he’s going to win that job because he fits Rondo’s game much better than Darko (Milicic) does,” said Gorman. “Chris is a runner; that is what his game is all about. We’ve seen him on the front end of fast-breaks and Rondo likes to play with him. I think the job is his; he played 19 minutes last night, the most off the bench.”

Gorman says the Celtics showed Wilcox a lot of support through his surgery — more than he could have imagined for just joining the team last December — and now Wilcox wants to repay the organization for it.

“He gets very emotional when you talk to him about it. He couldn’t believe how the Celtics stood by him during his surgery; not only the front office and management, but the players that he had played with for a very short period of time,” said Gorman. “He’s very intent of being a contributing member of this team and wants to do well.”

The article addresses other Celtics stuff, but I especially wanted to share this part. Thoughts?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: Gorman on Wilcox as primary backup big: 'I think the job is his'
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think he'll be the primary backup center going forward for most match ups. Hopefully Darko can work his way into providing a legitimate alternative for a backup C.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
...until his next injury.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think he'll be the primary backup center going forward for most match ups. Hopefully Darko can work his way into providing a legitimate alternative for a backup C.

I hope So, I like him out there so much more than the sully/bass combo.

Sully/Bass should be strictly subs for each other at the 4, with Wilcox spelling KG at the 5. The floor just opens up so much.

Plus, when they go to this lineup (which they've done a couple times)

Rondo
Terry
Green
Bass
Wilcox

The floor spacing and running ability is amazing. They get a rebound and Wilcox and Green beat the ball up the floor and make things real easy on Rondo.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:38:06 PM »

• Satch Sanders
...until his next injury.

Yeah, I almost included in my OP a health disclaimer. Here's to hoping for the best.  :)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Wilcox still leaves a massive hole in the C's big man rotation, no other defender/rebounder other than KG. Wilcox is an offensive player when used at C, just look at the Bulls game where he got shoved underneath the rim by guards and missed 3 or 4 easy rebounds in his minutes.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Wilcox still leaves a massive hole in the C's big man rotation, no other defender/rebounder other than KG. Wilcox is an offensive player when used at C, just look at the Bulls game where he got shoved underneath the rim by guards and missed 3 or 4 easy rebounds in his minutes.

I guess Doc still needs to get Darko into the rotation.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Darko needs to be in shape to earn that time, he didn't look that in the preseason. Though he had his own injury which wouldn't have helped.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Wilcox looks mistake-prone to me.  He offsets that to an extent with his ability to beat his man up the floor, but he's still an inconsistent rebounder and a poor team defender. 

Hopefully he improves as the year goes on.  Given the fact that he just missed a half of a season with a heart issue and then missed much of preseason as well, there's reason to believe that he could get better on things like positioning and rotations as he knocks the rust off.  I think he's already the 3rd best big on the team (behind KG and Bass), but that's as much an indictment on our backup bigs as it is a credit to Wilcox.

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I agree that we'll have a massive defensive hole when he plays the 5, but his rebounding should improve quite substantially.  He's averaging under 5 boards per 36 thus far - that's well below what he did last year and what he's done for most of his career (around 9 boards per 36).

I love his offensive skillset with this team though - great hands, good roll man, relentless pace in transition, excellent finishing ability. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I like what Wilcox brings when healthy. Since Doc has clearly succumbed to the smallball mania sweeping the EC I'm OK with him at the back up 5. Although I'd like to see some beef at the 5 added to the rotation. We say we're a defensive team first so our priority during the season is to develop a system where when KG sits we get solid defense and rebounding from our bigs.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:32:06 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Darko needs to be in shape to earn that time, he didn't look that in the preseason. Though he had his own injury which wouldn't have helped.

If Doc is easing Darko along b/c of an injury, I think that's a very smart move.  Regular season matters, but I don't think playing Darko 10-20 minutes is going to make a big difference in our win count.  I'd rather him just sit out until completely healthy and in game conditioning.  We have the depth to afford that.  And I hope its a plan that Doc uses with other players as well.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Wilcox is a "player" when paired with the right players....this being RONDO / BRADLEY/GREEN ...the pace really hits a fever pitch with no hesitation on offense to put the ball in the bucket in a hurry.

Wilcox energy as a BIG matchs Bradley very nicely ,  I'm so anxious to see some more of that Wilcox and Bradley fast break stuff .  Probally some of my favorite Celtics moments , during a time of dispair.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
he seems to have really good chemistry with Rondo...so far hes picking up right where he left off last year.

we're seeing about 2 rondo-wilcox alleyoops a game

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 11:35:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
he seems to have really good chemistry with Rondo...so far hes picking up right where he left off last year.

we're seeing about 2 rondo-wilcox alleyoops a game

It's amazing how well they play together. Since Wilcox has been coming off the bench for KG, the celts haven't been nearly as bad without Kg out there.