Author Topic: Are the Knicks serious?  (Read 20788 times)

Are the Knicks serious?
« on: November 14, 2012, 01:09:01 PM »

Offline kp4000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 13
Are the Knicks contenders or pretenders? Yea, I went the ESPN route by overreacting to wins and loses, because I couldn't help myself.

The Knicks are currently at 5-0, the first time in many years they've started out undefeated. With a new coach Mike Woodson and the oldest bench in NBA history the Knicks are position to make noise. With that said the Knicks undefeated streak will likely end sooner or later and not because of Amare Stoudemire.

The Knicks not known for defense are leading the league in defensive stats though it's still early in the season. They've defeated their opponents by margin of 100 points while holding them to under 90pts. Yes, it's shocking the Knicks are playing defensive and shooting the ball well. All this while their second best scorer, Amare is out and their best defender, Shumpert is out too.

So of course ESPN's Sportcenter and First Take had to over anyalize and break down the Knicks recent success.

Stephen A. Smith said, " If Amare comes back healthy I believe they can beat anyone in the east expect for Miami"

Next up:
Tim Legler, said " I think the Knicks can contend with Miami, because I'm Miami is no longer scared of Boston. Miami has Ray Allen on their side".

With quotes like that it's no wonder why TNT's NBA is doing much better than ESPN's NBA countdown in the ratings department or anything related ESPN. So here's the hypocrisy in those quotes. Just two, three weeks ago both Smith and Legler where singing praises for the Celtics and how they're the only team in the east that can contend or beat Miami in a 7 gm series.

Now they're singing a different tone, because the Knicks are 5-0. How quickly do things change especially at ESPN. Yes, the Knicks are 5-0, but keep in my mind they played a Miami team that didn't want to be in NYC after the Hurrican Sandy, then the Knicks defeated the Sixers back to back without Bynum and Richardson. They also defeated the Mavs without Dirk. Yesterday the Knicks defeated an Orlando team without Turkoleu, Nelson or Harrington, and struggled against the Magic for 3.5 quarters.

So no Bynum, Richardson, Dirk, Nelson, Harrignton or Turko, but they're serious enough to challenge Miami or Boston, am I missing something, folks?

What do u guys think are the Knicks right now serious enough to contend in 7 gm series with Miami, Boston or a healthy Pacers or Bulls team?

Re: Are the Knicks serious?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:17:18 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
meh, they only played 5 games, too small of a sample size, and we're playing our 8th game tonight. They are pretenders...they might make 2nd round this year but I doubt they are serious title contenders...

Though I must say Raymond Felton is an upgrade over Lin. But Amare's health is still an issue

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nope -- but maybe next year after a few more personnel changes.

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 02:47:47 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
The Knicks are on a hot streak, for sure, and they will come back to earth a bit.

However, it is also notable that they had a very good off-season. Although we all make fun of them for getting older, the truth is all the players they grabbed are efficient. With Amare injured, the Knicks don't have any particular weakpoints, although obviously with old age the potential for things to go wrong is clearly higher.

Basically, they pulled the same move Danny Ainge did two seasons ago, grabbing Shaq and Jermaine. When they were healthy, we were nigh unstoppable, but unfortunately injury happened. If the Knicks are lucky with their injuries, they can have a great regular season with Melo at PF and everyone else just playing competently.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
"Because Miami is no longer scared of Boston..."

Sounds like 2010 to me.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think that if everything rolls right for the Knicks, they could definitely beat Miami in a playoff series.

Of course, like we saw last year, they need a lot of breaks to get it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
lucky

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 07:14:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think the Knicks are easily the third best team in the east, especially if everything goes right. If Carmelo plays like a semi unselfish all star, chandler keeps anchoring the defense and their old foggies fall into their roles they can turn some heads. I think amare might actually hurt them a bit and distrust their chemistry.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:48:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I still don't completely believe in the Knicks, but I'll say this about them - right now, we're contenders on reputation but not results.  They're contenders on results but not reputation. 

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 12:02:30 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Maybe, the opportunity is there.

New York have ALWAYS had the talent since Carmello came over, they have just never had anything resembling good chemistry on either side of the floor.

To me the biggest issue with the Knicks was their lack of organisation on the court.  People raved about Linsanity but I always thought he was a pure numbers guy - he put nice figures on the box score, but he wasn't the type of PG who could run an offense or put a team on his back.  Not the kind of player guys like Amare and Carmello would listen to and respect.

When they picked up Kidd and Camby I thought that changed everything.  Even at his age Kidd is one of the best floor generals in the game, and a guy who demands respect no matter who he plays with.  Camby is another  veteran who demands respect and who has been a dominant defense force in the leaguee his entire career - he's basically like an old and less athletic Tyson Chandler.

Then they got Felton and everybody mocked the move, but Felton played exceptional basketball the during his first stint in New York - his numbers improved dramatically, and the second he left he faded back down into the land of the mediocre.  He seemed to fit the New York offense like a glove.

On top of all this, NY have been a dramatically improved team every since their change of coach and since that day they have been much better defensively.

Put all of this together along with the fact that they already have star power and an incredibly deep bench, and I always felt like this team was one 'chemistry bottle' away from being a contender.

The real telling sign will be what happens when Amare gets back - that's what I'm waiting to see.  I don't know if all of this success will remain, and if not I think they will try to move him.

Still it is too early in the season to say for sure - this could just be a freak run and then they might lose the plot.  I get the feeling they are going to be a top 4 team in the easy this year though along with Boston and Miami - not yet decided on who the 4th team will be.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 12:19:11 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Hope Not.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I wont believe it until they beat us in the playoffs or make it to the ECF.

Otherwise how would they be different than the last two years?

They're a cute story right now I guess though

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 12:53:58 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
It's really early and those old guys feel good. Let's see what they look like in April.

Also Amare could either sink this team or catapult them to true contender status.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 01:09:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I wont believe it until they beat us in the playoffs or make it to the ECF.

Otherwise how would they be different than the last two years?

They're a cute story right now I guess though

The last two years they had no chemistry, played very little defense and struggled to float above 0.500

This year they have great chemistry, are playing dominat defense, and are beating every team they play convincingly.

That's a big difference...though as I said it's still early.

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 01:42:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Didn't they win like 13 in a row during Felton's one year there?  It's Feltonsanity all over again. 

But no... I don't expect much from them this year.