If we're not using Collins or Darko much, or most likely will only use one of them, if ever, why not change the roster a little -
1. Cut either Collins or Darko (make a choice)
2. Bring Melo back - keep him around the team to learn and try to find him 3-5 minutes a game when possible
3. Re-sign Pietrus for more depth at the small forward position.
KG / Collins OR Darko / Melo
Bass / Wilcox / Sully
Pierce / Green / Pietrus
Bradley / Lee / Joseph
Rondo / Jet / Barbosa
What's wrong with that lineup?
1. We basically have KG, Wilcox, Collins OR Darko and Melo at center
2. Bass, Wilcox, Sully and Green at PF
3. Pierce, Green, Pietrus and Joseph at SF
If some big man of better value (than Collins or Darko) becames available at the trade deadline, we could still decide to cut (Collins OR Darko), or Joseph, if we had to.
I'd really rather put time and effort into Melo than watching Darko and/or Collins ride the pine. I think two of them are redundant.
I also like the added depth behind Pierce by brining in Pietrus.
What am I missing?