Author Topic: Royce White missing games and practices  (Read 16068 times)

Re: Can you believe this situation with Royce White???
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
I hope they cut him, and Danny finds a way to get him on the Celtics for cheap.  Would you keep this guy on your roster and let him only attend games that he can get to by car?  I would.

I wouldn't. Complete chemistry and rotation nightmare.

Is doc going to play a guy who doesn't show up to trainings or shootarounds to earn it?

What happens in playoffs when you've gotta play in someone else's building?

Just going to let the guy bail out and wait for the home games?

No offense to the guy and his disorder but other than the Harden trade Houston have been pretty pathetic in the offseason.
Jeremy Lin's deal was atrocious, only eclipsed by Asik's horrible deal, and then they topped it all off with drafting this dude, who clearly is not ready to be an NBA player, maybe never will be.

http://www.thenbageek.com/articles/the-10-best-2012-13-contracts:
thenbageek says the Lin deal and the Asik deal weren't horrible. Lin is a cash cow, decent player for the price and is seats sold. Asik is a solid big. Makes sense to me.

thenbageek also talks about their contracts (the salary cap and CBA are things that I'll have to catch up to...some day...just not right now)

As for the draft picks...I've read they've been waiting to get a star and they got it. All the moves they've been making were set up to do that.

Three draft picks and gambling one on Royce White isn't too bad, especially considering they were seriously considering trading all of the picks for Gasol or Howard.

Again, makes sense to me.

I don't particularly feel strongly about the Rocket's management but absolutely don't think they've been as horrible as you say. Especially when you look at the Knicks and Nets who've been p---ing away their cap space...and the Magic...and so on and so forth.

Re: Royce White missing games and practices
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
White may never have an nba career but also houston might be handling the situation the wrong way. Maybe since this is pro sports and a business there is no other way.

The way Houston wants to fix the situation is to have a therapist cure his condition. This way he can fly regularly, practice with the team, and not have the team also worry if he will arrive  at games on time.

White on the other hand, does not want the cure or at least not the way houston wants to fix it. He seems like he is getting upset that his condition is not being respected or something. But White should know , if he does not ultimately want to deal or fix his issue, he won't have an nba future.  You just can't ride the bus , miss practice, come to the game 1/2 hour before it starts .

Maybe if Houston gives him some time on the court, white will return the favor and fly more? maybe with the roar of the nba crowed, he might never want to miss a flight again.

White nowadays never stops whining and putting on a victim hat. Even without the condition quite a bit of rookies never see a minute in their first year.

Bottom line is i'm glad we don't have to deal with this. I don't want this kid on the celtics team. Likely will be a waste of immense talent. Could of been a lebron james lite eventually

From the way your post reads, you sound like this is analogous to him suffering from the flu.

That's a poor way to process this situation.

nope its not like a flu. I can't understand the seriousness of his disorder but i'm sure it is. Houston has a goal to be a winning team again and took a risk on a guy with major upside. They are scratching their head probably as to why he is being so uncooperative right now. Even at college , i read he didn't miss practice and played almost every game of the year. So that means he did fly

The only difference now is that , he has to fly even more and he is not playing tons of min like he is used to. Maybe its too much or too long of a fly than he can handle, maybe he is ticked off all that bus riding and not getting one minute of playing time on the court, or quite possibly it is riding the bus for 10 hours, feeling groggy , missing practices and not earning playing time.

Houston does not and will not give white special privilege to miss practices or come late, be unfamiliar with the system and just play him for real games. They will give him special privilege for him to have his own bus and travel , but he has to come on time to everything like everyone else.

So i understand why Houston is fining him and why they rather try hard to have a top therapist try to get him over his fear. But the only thing i can picture is the pro therapist asking him certain question and white getting upset and storming out of the room. Again i can't understand his condition but if its like part of your job is to high rise window clean yet you are scared of heights, then i can understand the panic.  Like a fire fighter deathly scared of heights, you probably shouldn't be a fire fighter then.

Royce white unless can deal with flying constantly or after games take a quick shower, don't chum up with the team and leave on the bus to the next city and always be on time for practice or games , won't have a nba career. The bus thing is highly unrealistic. You would have to practice around whites schedule. Other than getting over the fear of flying as an option , the only other way for white to play would be to use him for home games or when houston plays teams that are not too far away.  It would be the first privilege of its kind.

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2012, 10:07:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In what sounds like legal posturing, White is suggesting that he may walk away from the NBA for health reasons.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8640395/houston-rockets-royce-white-ready-walk-away-nba

If this was truly a "health" concern, I would think that the kid would be trying to get better, starting with attending psychotherapy sessions.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2012, 10:32:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
In what sounds like legal posturing, White is suggesting that he may walk away from the NBA for health reasons.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8640395/houston-rockets-royce-white-ready-walk-away-nba

If this was truly a "health" concern, I would think that the kid would be trying to get better, starting with attending psychotherapy sessions.

Roy like i mentioned in my post before, this is not some type of illness that will affect his life. Its not like he has to ever go to the airport and fly to another city. He can be and probably will be perfectly happy to just stay in one city or drive to a nearby one for the rest of his life.

In terms of becoming a proper NBA player, that is where the flying problem lies.

Houston took a risk drafting white knowing full aware of his condition, and want change too much too fast.  Even money won't solve the issue and fining him definitely is making things worse. White won't budge on flying too much right now nor seeing a therapist to try to "help" him. Maybe you workout a special plan, like i just mentioned and play him only for home games or games that are nearby. He will practice less, but maybe let the ones that pertain to home games or nearby road games , be indicators if he can earn his time on the court. Stop fining him and be upfront that he can't be fully paid as originally signed, but half of the salary will be given to him, as long as he attends home game or nearby game practices and is at the sideline with the team even if he doesn't play.

Maybe White appreciates this , gets chummier with his team, loves nba basketball and the crowed and it becomes less tough to fly.

Houston is going about this at full force, and for white to drop on his knees on their terms. But like like Roy just posted, with White willing to walk away, its time for Houston to bend a little bit more , if they won't want to throw their draft pick down the toilet.

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
dont feel bad for dis clown so glad dis weirdo aint drop to us he blowin an oppurtunity so many people round my way would love to have

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80
I bet White oversold his ability to jump on planes at the NBA Combine. The Rockets feel like they were played.

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2012, 11:15:00 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 92

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 122
nd for those defending dis clown, dude skipped out sessions wit a therapist da team set up for him iont think he can recover from throwin da team under da bus he talmbout he's willin to walk away from da game gotta get him outta here

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
White may never have an nba career but also houston might be handling the situation the wrong way. Maybe since this is pro sports and a business there is no other way.

The way Houston wants to fix the situation is to have a therapist cure his condition. This way he can fly regularly, practice with the team, and not have the team also worry if he will arrive  at games on time.

White on the other hand, does not want the cure or at least not the way houston wants to fix it. He seems like he is getting upset that his condition is not being respected or something. But White should know , if he does not ultimately want to deal or fix his issue, he won't have an nba future.  You just can't ride the bus , miss practice, come to the game 1/2 hour before it starts .

Maybe if Houston gives him some time on the court, white will return the favor and fly more? maybe with the roar of the nba crowed, he might never want to miss a flight again.

White nowadays never stops whining and putting on a victim hat. Even without the condition quite a bit of rookies never see a minute in their first year.

Bottom line is i'm glad we don't have to deal with this. I don't want this kid on the celtics team. Likely will be a waste of immense talent. Could of been a lebron james lite eventually

From the way your post reads, you sound like this is analogous to him suffering from the flu.

nope its not like a flu. I can't understand the seriousness of his disorder but i'm sure it is. Houston has a goal to be a winning team again and took a risk on a guy with major upside. They are scratching their head probably as to why he is being so uncooperative right now. Even at college , i read he didn't miss practice and played almost every game of the year. So that means he did fly

The only difference now is that , he has to fly even more and he is not playing tons of min like he is used to. Maybe its too much or too long of a fly than he can handle, maybe he is ticked off all that bus riding and not getting one minute of playing time on the court, or quite possibly it is riding the bus for 10 hours, feeling groggy , missing practices and not earning playing time.

Houston does not and will not give white special privilege to miss practices or come late, be unfamiliar with the system and just play him for real games. They will give him special privilege for him to have his own bus and travel , but he has to come on time to everything like everyone else.

So i understand why Houston is fining him and why they rather try hard to have a top therapist try to get him over his fear. But the only thing i can picture is the pro therapist asking him certain question and white getting upset and storming out of the room. Again i can't understand his condition but if its like part of your job is to high rise window clean yet you are scared of heights, then i can understand the panic.  Like a fire fighter deathly scared of heights, you probably shouldn't be a fire fighter then.

Royce white unless can deal with flying constantly or after games take a quick shower, don't chum up with the team and leave on the bus to the next city and always be on time for practice or games , won't have a nba career. The bus thing is highly unrealistic. You would have to practice around whites schedule. Other than getting over the fear of flying as an option , the only other way for white to play would be to use him for home games or when houston plays teams that are not too far away.  It would be the first privilege of its kind.

I respect that you said you don't understand the full seriousness of his illness. I wish more people would be willing to say the don't understand instead of jumping to conclusions or insulting him.

Speaking from personal experience, he will deal with this for the rest of his life. The key is finding ways to cope with his issue - whether that's with medication, psychotherapy, meditation techniques or all of the above. The most crucial thing in this process - and I can't stress this enough - is getting a strong support base in place and having open lines of communications with the people around you. Honestly, that support for those with mental illness can be the difference between life and death. It really seems that Royce feels the Rockets are not being 100% upfront with him and aren't communication. If that's the case, that's not a healthy situation for him and I wouldn't fault him for removing himself from that, no matter how much money is at stake.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

When his anxiety is activated, it probably interferes with his ability to attend psychotherapy sessions.  We're not talking about normal worry that most people have in their daily lives;  we're talking about anxiety that makes someone act irrationally.  Many times, they understand they are being irrational, but they can't stop.

When someone has a mental problem that interferes with normal functioning and routine, daily activities, it's probably not reasonable to expect that person should have no problem attending to his health the way a normal, functional adult might.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2012, 12:33:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I respect that you said you don't understand the full seriousness of his illness. I wish more people would be willing to say the don't understand instead of jumping to conclusions or insulting him.

Speaking from personal experience, he will deal with this for the rest of his life. The key is finding ways to cope with his issue - whether that's with medication, psychotherapy, meditation techniques or all of the above. The most crucial thing in this process - and I can't stress this enough - is getting a strong support base in place and having open lines of communications with the people around you. Honestly, that support for those with mental illness can be the difference between life and death. It really seems that Royce feels the Rockets are not being 100% upfront with him and aren't communication. If that's the case, that's not a healthy situation for him and I wouldn't fault him for removing himself from that, no matter how much money is at stake.

The thing is this. The rockets and the nba is a business. There is a conflict of interest for the Rockets to fully understand and do whatever white has in plan vs what the organization has to do, to win games.

White also has to put in effort and compromise. Attend as many practices as possible, get to know your teammates, build a relationship and like you said this might make a huge difference for him in terms of things getting easier with flying. He is upset right now with the fines and has stopped attending practice and supporting his team on the sidelines.

Its an ugly situation and maybe won't be able to be fixed. White seems like an extreme guy, in that if something bothers him he won't go to practice ever again or quit the nba all together. Why not just ask for a trade instead??

I wonder if the Celts drafted him, how danny/doc would of dealt with this issue?

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:44 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
dont feel bad for dis clown so glad dis weirdo aint drop to us he blowin an oppurtunity so many people round my way would love to have

Preach!

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2012, 07:55:18 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

The thing is this. The rockets and the nba is a business. There is a conflict of interest for the Rockets to fully understand and do whatever white has in plan vs what the organization has to do, to win games.

White also has to put in effort and compromise. Attend as many practices as possible, get to know your teammates, build a relationship and like you said this might make a huge difference for him in terms of things getting easier with flying. He is upset right now with the fines and has stopped attending practice and supporting his team on the sidelines.

Its an ugly situation and maybe won't be able to be fixed. White seems like an extreme guy, in that if something bothers him he won't go to practice ever again or quit the nba all together. Why not just ask for a trade instead??

I wonder if the Celts drafted him, how danny/doc would of dealt with this issue?

I understand the NBA is a business. When the Rockets drafted him, they should have had a strong plan in place. When he was in college, he was doing better - and I don't think that's because of playing time, given that the Rockets are rebuilding and Royce's talent, he'd be playing if he was practicing at this point. It comes back to what type of support system he has. The basketball program at his college was very supportive of him as was the fanbase. If you do your research, you'd also find that he's very well respected there because of the community work he did. So there's evidence that he not only cope, but thrive in the right environment.

And I also wanted to add, Royce was being critical of the Rockets handling his problem BEFORE they started fining him. I follow him on Twitter, and he's been going on about management's inconsistency in dealing with him. The fact that they fined him on top of that has just squashed any type of trust he and the team were building.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2012, 08:06:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Honestly what makes you think they didn't have a "strong" plan in place? They were negotiating with him and his agent before he even reported to camp initially.

Based on the current acrimony that plan that Royce agreed to is no longer to his liking. This isn't the Dolan's and their mess of an ownership, I doubt the Rockets have been running around violating the initial agreement they setup with Royce and his agent/lawyer/doctors.

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2012, 08:24:59 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The Rockets are looking like complete idiots to me.  Everybody knew that selecting Royce White was a gamble. 

If it was worth the risk, then it was also worth ensuring that they created an environment that was comfortable for Royce White.  It doesn't seem like they did that.  It seems like they treated him like just another rookie. 

Now it appears they've lost him. 

I think some of this is on Royce, too.  Not everyone gets a shot at being an NBA player.  He might have lost that chance. 

I don't know.  It's a confusing issue, but I wish Royce White the best and hope he succeeds.  I wonder if he's gotten in touch with Delonte (not joking).
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
If it was worth the risk, then it was also worth ensuring that they created an environment that was comfortable for Royce White.  It doesn't seem like they did that.  It seems like they treated him like just another rookie. 

I kinda disagree. If you are getting paid millions by an organization to play basketball and you declare for a draft to be selected to play in the NBA, it is not your employer's prerogative to make sure you can play basketball with an NBA travel schedule.

If Royce White needed to only play home games and not much else, this needed to be made clear to all the teams while they were doing their draft interviews. Which would have lead to 30 teams not touching the guy with a ten foot pole on draft night.

What is the bet that Royce and his agent sugar coated this situation at draft time?

I'm not making light of his disorder or his fear of flying but why did Royce declare for the draft, knowing all about his struggles and probably knowing a fair bit about what an NBA team expects travel-wise?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?