Author Topic: Royce White missing games and practices  (Read 16066 times)

Re: Royce White missing games and practices
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
how well do you think Keyon Dooling will impact a player like Royce White...

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

While he couldn't hurt, I don't think that is the problem.  This is a legal issue, not a basketball issue.  I think it is going to take the Rockets taking the whole thing a bit more seriously, before it can even get to the point where White can try to redeem himself. 

Here is my theory of what is going on right now.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the biggest issues here comes from Sampson taking over.  I bet management and HR had sat down with McHale and layed out exactly whats going on, and what he needs to do, before the season.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Sampson didn't get that talk (at least not yet).  So, when he took over, he started coaching the only way he knows how, and not putting forth the obligatory effort to make accomodations for White. 

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

While he couldn't hurt, I don't think that is the problem.  This is a legal issue, not a basketball issue.  I think it is going to take the Rockets taking the whole thing a bit more seriously, before it can even get to the point where White can try to redeem himself. 

Here is my theory of what is going on right now.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of the biggest issues here comes from Sampson taking over.  I bet management and HR had sat down with McHale and layed out exactly whats going on, and what he needs to do, before the season.  But I wouldn't be surprised if Sampson didn't get that talk (at least not yet).  So, when he took over, he started coaching the only way he knows how, and not putting forth the obligatory effort to make accomodations for White.

true but I was point out the fact that Keyon was just there to talk to players about their issues. Like i think in his recent interview they said that Keyon, beside being a mentor in basketball also helped players on their personal issues.

Maybe he can help Royce in his anxiety issues. I mean if he doenst go to therapy, having a player/coach for him wouldnt hurt

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

true but I was point out the fact that Keyon was just there to talk to players about their issues. Like i think in his recent interview they said that Keyon, beside being a mentor in basketball also helped players on their personal issues.

Maybe he can help Royce in his anxiety issues. I mean if he doenst go to therapy, having a player/coach for him wouldnt hurt

He doesn't go to therapy?  Was that reported?  I highly doubt that is the case.

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 02:37:12 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Twitter had reports Rockets have fined him for missing both practices and sessions with the therapist that the Rockets have provided him.

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The guy isn't qualified to be a professional athlete, period.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Twitter had reports Rockets have fined him for missing both practices and sessions with the therapist that the Rockets have provided him.

It seems like both sides are pushing out thier narratives right now.

Royce's people: "he's not getting accomdiation for serious mental health issues, Rockets treating him like a thing not a person"

Rockets: "he's lazy, unproffesional, the disorder stuff is a crutch."

I don't think we're getting the real story from either side. I know one thing for sure though, Glad we dodged this bullet.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

It seems like both sides are pushing out thier narratives right now.

Royce's people: "he's not getting accomdiation for serious mental health issues, Rockets treating him like a thing not a person"

Rockets: "he's lazy, unproffesional, the disorder stuff is a crutch."

I don't think we're getting the real story from either side. I know one thing for sure though, Glad we dodged this bullet.

you know what? after all these controversies, I'm glad we dodged this bullet as well...and I was so high on him during the draft...

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »

Offline arambone

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 80

Most people here were devastated White went first and we only got Jared Sullinger. I was celebrating all summer.

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 03:45:04 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He seems to think that "informing" the team he's missing practice is enough to make it an excused absence.

However, this is not middle school anymore. Whoops.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
He seems to think that "informing" the team he's missing practice is enough to make it an excused absence.

Well, so say the Rockets.

The story from his people seems to be that the team agreed to these absences as part of his course of treatment and have now soured on them along with the travel accomidations.

I'm waiting for the 30 for 30. It should be released about the same time as "Stop Doing my Sister, It's Gross: How Mike Dantoni got the Lakers Job"
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Well, so say the Rockets.

The story from his people seems to be that the team agreed to these absences as part of his course of treatment and have now soured on them along with the travel accomidations.

I'm waiting for the 30 for 30. It should be released about the same time as "Stop Doing my Sister, It's Gross: How Mike Dantoni got the Lakers Job"
So says he. The article is pretty clear. He says he has "informed" the Rockets about every absence, the Rockets say his absences are not excused.

Quite evidently, he doesn't really seem to have a standing agreement with the team about missing team sessions -- and he doesn't seem to claim that either.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 03:53:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'm waiting for the 30 for 30. It should be released about the same time as "Stop Doing my Sister Daughter, It's Gross: How Mike Dantoni got the Lakers Job"

Fixed that for you  ;)

EDIT:  Wait, Jim Buss is running the show now?  My mistake, sister it is.

EDIT EDIT:  And TP for the new Cowboy Bebop avatar.

No idea what's up with Royce, but it sounds like he's playing hardball at one of the least-powerful points in a first round pick's career.  Rightly or wrongly I don't think this ends well for him.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 03:59:23 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I'm waiting for the 30 for 30. It should be released about the same time as "Stop Doing my Sister Daughter, It's Gross: How Mike Dantoni got the Lakers Job"

Fixed that for you  ;)

EDIT:  And TP for the new Cowboy Bebop avatar.

No idea what's up with Royce, but it sounds like he's playing hardball at one of the least-powerful points in a first round pick's career.  Rightly or wrongly I don't think this ends well for him.
I suppose sister/daughter depends on your view of who's the real power with the Lakers. Jerry or Jim....

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Eh, he has more leverage than you think, given his protected status as a person with a disability.