Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18716 times)

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I wouldn't swap Rajon for CP3 of Irving.

No way.

If they want to impress me, they can start by winning a playoff game with a dislocated elbow.

I would trade Rondo and Bradley for Irving. Irving is going to be better than anyone very soon. And can carry a franchise.

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2012, 04:39:20 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Chris Paul is better.  No question. 

Rondo is probably not even #2.  That said... through 7 games, Rondo is actually barely outperforming Chris Paul.  Rondo has an Efficiency number of 24.9 and Chris Paul has 24.6.  So technically, Rondo has had second best stats of any point guard (Kyle Lowry is #1)... through 7 games. Last year Rondo was 5th and the year before that he was 7th... Chris Paul is constantly #1. 

It should be noted, though... through 7 games, Rondo is averaging 8 more minutes per night... hence the slightly better stats.  Their EFF per 48 minutes has Chris Paul well ahead of Rondo with 35.82 and Rondo behind Lowry, Jeff Teague and Kyrie Irving with 29.56.  It's only been 7 games, though... we'll see how the season plays out.   

Chris Paul is the best point guard in the league.  Rondo leads the league in assists.  Hard to argue against either of these statements.   

I don't think that comparing efficiency stats is the only way to decide which point guard is playing better.
Stats are what Boston homers use to support their impossible case that Rondo is better than Chris Paul.  Chris Paul puts up better stats, though.

Pick a method other than Stats ("leadership", "clutch factor", etc).  If it's not "Rebounding ability", Chris Paul is probably coming out on top.   

For example... if you were to tell me that Rondo is better than Paul, because he's a "better passer", I'd point out that Chris Paul consistently has a better assist/turnover ratio.
Dude, im not asking this cause you think CP3 is better than Rondo, rather because of the stuff I consistently see you write on this forum, but, are you a Celtics fan? I'm genuinely curious.

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Funny that this discussion is even taking place in the midst of Rondo setting records that none of the other guards in question have even dreamed of.

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Funny that this discussion is even taking place in the midst of Rondo setting records that none of the other guards in question have even dreamed of.
As is often said here and in other discussions about the Celtics: We care about rings, not records.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Chris Paul is better.  No question. 

Rondo is probably not even #2.  That said... through 7 games, Rondo is actually barely outperforming Chris Paul.  Rondo has an Efficiency number of 24.9 and Chris Paul has 24.6.  So technically, Rondo has had second best stats of any point guard (Kyle Lowry is #1)... through 7 games. Last year Rondo was 5th and the year before that he was 7th... Chris Paul is constantly #1. 

It should be noted, though... through 7 games, Rondo is averaging 8 more minutes per night... hence the slightly better stats.  Their EFF per 48 minutes has Chris Paul well ahead of Rondo with 35.82 and Rondo behind Lowry, Jeff Teague and Kyrie Irving with 29.56.  It's only been 7 games, though... we'll see how the season plays out.   

Chris Paul is the best point guard in the league.  Rondo leads the league in assists.  Hard to argue against either of these statements.   

I don't think that comparing efficiency stats is the only way to decide which point guard is playing better.
Stats are what Boston homers use to support their impossible case that Rondo is better than Chris Paul.  Chris Paul puts up better stats, though.

Pick a method other than Stats ("leadership", "clutch factor", etc).  If it's not "Rebounding ability", Chris Paul is probably coming out on top.   

For example... if you were to tell me that Rondo is better than Paul, because he's a "better passer", I'd point out that Chris Paul consistently has a better assist/turnover ratio.
Dude, im not asking this cause you think CP3 is better than Rondo, rather because of the stuff I consistently see you write on this forum, but, are you a Celtics fan? I'm genuinely curious.

He (or she) is probably the only person I routinely skip their posts. Spews nothing but negativety, often unwarranted and almost always unnecessary.  Whatever floats his boat I guess, but I'm glad there aren't many more of these types on the board.

But back to the topic, I still don't think Rondo is at Chris Paul's level. But it's like saying Durant isn't at LeBron's.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2012, 04:58:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
But if you swapped Rondo to the Thunder and LeBron to the Clippers, would you be able to make French Toast without any bread?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Since I really think comparing two players is really a corrupted concept, I will rather opt to have fun in it and say it's only about the number of "Holy cow!"s you spit out unintentionally while watching.

And Rondo is the best holy-cow PG since prime time Jason Kidd.

« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Since I really think comparing two players is really a corrupted concept, I will rather opt to have fun in it and say it's only about the number of "Holy cow!"s you spit out unintentionally while watching.

And Rondo is the best holy-cow PG since prime time Jason Kidd.

« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2012, 09:08:08 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Lol@ the clippers not having a good enough roster to make the finals if Chris Paul is as good as I'm told.
Watching the clippers Chris Paul hardly pops off the screen after watching rondo regularly, sorry

« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
As is often said here and in other discussions about the Celtics: We care about rings, not records.

Chris Paul has rings?

« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Lol@ the clippers not having a good enough roster to make the finals.
Watching the clippers Chris Paul hardly pops off the screen after watching rondo regularly, sorry

It is unknown at this point.  It depends on the growth of Griffin. 

He still has to get past two players that would be considered top 5 players with a lot more talent.  (Durrant and Howard)  Not to mention the West version of the Celtics, the Spurs. 

I guess we should knock Rondo for the same thing.  Since he became the star he is, the Celtics haven't won a title.  Haven't been to the Finals. 

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2012, 09:14:04 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
People will continue to make excuses for Paul and continue to state that Rondo gets to play with 3 HOF even though said HOF's were certainly past their prime.

Clippers were supposedly title contenders last year and then fell flat on their face and people made excuses. Now clippers are supposedly title contenders this year but everyone is already lining up excuses for them.

Paul apparently turns his team into a title contender but at the same time has little chance of making a playoff run due to his supporting cast. My god that's laughable

« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2012, 09:17:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
People will continue to make excuses for Paul and continue to state that Rondo gets to play with 3 HOF even though said HOF's were certainly past their prime.

Clippers were supposedly title contenders last year and then fell flat on their face and people made excuses. Now clippers are supposedly title contenders this year but everyone is already lining up excuses for them.

Paul apparently turns his team into a title contender but at the same time has little chance of making a playoff run due to his supporting cast. My god that's laughable

They made it the 2nd round?  How is it falling on their face?

And just because Paul is a better player, how is that a slight at Rondo who is a top 5 PG?

« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I guess we should knock Rondo for the same thing.  Since he became the star he is, the Celtics haven't won a title.  Haven't been to the Finals.

The Celts went to the finals in 2010.

« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

The Celts went to the finals in 2010.

"If we had Chris Paul we would have won the title"