Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18699 times)

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
For what it's worth, the only players who can lay claim to single-handedly dragging a team to the Finals in the modern era of basketball: Allen Iverson and LBJ (Cavs edition).

As I recall, it didn't work out all that well for either of them. Also, neither of them were point guards (in case that needs to be said).

Chris Paul has a better cast then either of those teams and its not close  if hes as good as everyone says he should be able to get the clippers to the finals...wont happen

And a harder path.

AI's team (that was carried by the defense, not his offense) had to beat the Thomas coached Pacers, the Carter Raptors and the Ray Allen/Big Dog/Cassell Bucks before being destroyed by the Lakers.

Paul has had to get past the Duncan Spurs (multiple titles), the Lakers (multiple titles) as well as strong teams like the Suns and Mavs. 

Lebron is the exception carrying his Cavs past the Pistons.  Lebron, the best player in the world.

He did that before he was the best in the world.

Lets just line up more excuses for Paul...when they inevitably lose in the 1st round this year and he quits on another franchise and bolts to play with Dwight somewhere I guess then we will see.

Poor Blake griffin..everyones rising star and fan favorite before Chris Paul arrives..he does and they're not a contender and I guess its griffin is another bum not helping Chris Paul much like the myth he made tyson chandler....the same tyson chandler who took the mavericks from fodder to a world champion

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
A) Naturally, swapping a 6-11 wing who may be the most effortless "points on the board" scorer since a healthy T-Mac and a 6-0 point guard makes perfect sense.

B) I'd take 2001 AI or 2007 LBJ over CP3 in a heart-beat, but I brought them up to illustrate the silliness of your "can't bring them to the finals" argument.

I would never take AI over Paul.  It is just about impossible to put together a title team around AI.  It took Larry Brown finding a bunch of really good team defenders that would stay interested in playing defense while watching a selfish undersized SG just toss up shot after shot. 

Give me the talented guy that can play with others and make them better over talented guy that only plays for their own glory.

You stick AI with a quality big who's equally obsessed with winning and you're on the path to  good things.

Like if he'd made it to the T-Wolves with KG. Those dudes would've complemented each other well, both in competitive attitude and on the court. (and they would've emotionally abused everyone else in that locker room to the point where we'd still be reading hilarious stories about it).

But now things are getting silly.

If you don't think Chris Paul's team is awful, especially compared to their playoff contemporaries, then you're not paying attention.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Chris Paul comes in and makes teams pesky  little first round playoff fodder...I'm sure rondo could do the same with the clippers roster and id prefer rondo for our roster. Guys like rose lebron durant make the team there on contenders....the clippers aren't because Chris Paul is a good but very overrated player

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A) Naturally, swapping a 6-11 wing who may be the most effortless "points on the board" scorer since a healthy T-Mac and a 6-0 point guard makes perfect sense.

B) I'd take 2001 AI or 2007 LBJ over CP3 in a heart-beat, but I brought them up to illustrate the silliness of your "can't bring them to the finals" argument.

I would never take AI over Paul.  It is just about impossible to put together a title team around AI.  It took Larry Brown finding a bunch of really good team defenders that would stay interested in playing defense while watching a selfish undersized SG just toss up shot after shot. 

Give me the talented guy that can play with others and make them better over talented guy that only plays for their own glory.

Not to mention the famed "LEASTern Conference" was a total joke at the time.  Whether it was AI's 76ers or Kidd's Nets, whoever came out of the East was total fodder for the Lakers and Spurs (or Kings had they ever made it that far).  No comparison there.  Even our painfully mediocre Walker/Pierce team almost made a run one year.  All the best players/big men were out west (KG, Shaq, Duncan, Webber, etc).

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2012, 02:45:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
For what it's worth, the only players who can lay claim to single-handedly dragging a team to the Finals in the modern era of basketball: Allen Iverson and LBJ (Cavs edition).

As I recall, it didn't work out all that well for either of them. Also, neither of them were point guards (in case that needs to be said).

Chris Paul has a better cast then either of those teams and its not close  if hes as good as everyone says he should be able to get the clippers to the finals...wont happen

And a harder path.

AI's team (that was carried by the defense, not his offense) had to beat the Thomas coached Pacers, the Carter Raptors and the Ray Allen/Big Dog/Cassell Bucks before being destroyed by the Lakers.

Paul has had to get past the Duncan Spurs (multiple titles), the Lakers (multiple titles) as well as strong teams like the Suns and Mavs. 

Lebron is the exception carrying his Cavs past the Pistons.  Lebron, the best player in the world.

He did that before he was the best in the world.

Lets just line up more excuses for Paul...when they inevitably lose in the 1st round this year and he quits on another franchise and bolts to play with Dwight somewhere I guess then we will see.

Poor Blake griffin..everyones rising star and fan favorite before Chris Paul arrives..he does and they're not a contender and I guess its griffin is another bum not helping Chris Paul much like the myth he made tyson chandler....the same tyson chandler who took the mavericks from fodder to a world champion

Not excuses, facts.

Griffin is an exceptional athlete who doesn't have enough dimensions to his game yet.  (they key is yet.  He is still improving)

And they were successful last year.  They went from lotto to losing in the 2nd round to the team with the best regular season record that year loaded with stars that have won titles. 

And Dallas went to the finals before Chandler so I wouldn't call them a "bum team".

« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2012, 02:48:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Chris Paul comes in and makes teams pesky  little first round playoff fodder...I'm sure rondo could do the same with the clippers roster and id prefer rondo for our roster. Guys like rose lebron durant make the team there on contenders....the clippers aren't because Chris Paul is a good but very overrated player
Nobody is saying Chris Paul is better than LeBron or Durant... we're saying he's better than Rondo.  He's the best point guard in the league and a top 5 player.  Rondo is a top 5 point guard.  If Rondo was playing with that Clippers team, it's probable he'd be asked to score more (thus getting less assists), but there's zero evidence to suggest he'll score as efficiently and effectively as Chris Paul or that his turnovers would somehow be cut in half to Chris Paul levels or that his defense would inexplicably take rise to another level.  Rondo's a great player in his own right... but Chris Paul is better.

Paul/Griffin's Clippers are off to a better start than KG/Pierce/Rondo's Celtics... let's see how this season plays out.

« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

You stick AI with a quality big who's equally obsessed with winning and you're on the path to  good things.

Like if he'd made it to the T-Wolves with KG. Those dudes would've complemented each other well, both in competitive attitude and on the court. (and they would've emotionally abused everyone else in that locker room to the point where we'd still be reading hilarious stories about it).

If you don't think Chris Paul's team is awful, especially compared to their playoff contemporaries, then you're not paying attention.

AI had Mutumbo.  A guy that won defensive player of the year 4 times.  Compared to Chandler who won it once.

AI Got Webber who went from averaging 20 points a game that year with the Kings to 15 points a game with the 76ers.  (shooting % dropped from 45% to under 40% as well)

AI didn't play well with others. 

« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Other opinions of Paul (today)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-121114/nba-heat-clippers-thunder-grizzlies-questions

2. Fact or Fiction: The Clippers are title contenders.

Gutierrez: Fact. Not only have returning Clippers (DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin) improved, but the team is significantly deeper, with Jamal Crawford taking over at times. And what teams out west can you really say are clearly better? They've beaten the Spurs, the Lakers remain a question mark and the Thunder still aren't sure if they're as good as they were last season.

Haberstroh: Fact. Why not? As long as Chris Paul is on the team, I'm not worried about DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin being liabilities in crunch time. With a knack for delivering under pressure with limitless creativity, Paul is a basketball-wielding James Bond. The question is, will the Clippers go far in the playoffs because of Vinny Del Negro or despite him?

Widdoes: Fact. Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and an emerging DeAndre Jordan make them a top-five offense, and now that they've crept into the top 10 in defensive efficiency, they have a chance. They also have the three keys for playoff success: great size, depth and Eric Bledsoe.

Young: Fact. For this type of question, I always ask, "Could they beat the Thunder/Lakers/Spurs in a seven-game series?" And with a healthy Chris Paul, a better-than-ever DeAndre Jordan, Blake Griffin and a highly capable bench, the Clippers are built to beat anyone. They have a slimmer margin for error than some of their top Western Conference competitors, but Paul is fully equipped to make up the difference.

Dewey: Fact: Chris Paul has vastly increased the Clippers' defensive communication. They've actually got top-10 defense right now, and they actually look like one. Eric Bledsoe looks like a star sixth man and Jamal Crawford looks great, too. It's a valid question whether this will hold up until May, but the outline for a contender is there.

« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

AI had Mutumbo.  A guy that won defensive player of the year 4 times.  Compared to Chandler who won it once.

AI Got Webber who went from averaging 20 points a game that year with the Kings to 15 points a game with the 76ers.  (shooting % dropped from 45% to under 40% as well)

Officially 35-year-old Mutombo. Unofficially, somewhere around 40.
And a finished Chris Webber after the surgery.

« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Mutumbo who earned his 4th defensive player of the year award that season.  Who was an all-star that year and the next.

« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Both dudes who had peaked aeons before they showed up on the 76ers.

But now I'm probably protesting too much. :P

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54

Mutombo who earned his 4th defensive player of the year award that season.  Who was an all-star that year and the next.

And they had a block machine in Ratliff as well, right.
Again, who was the second-highest scorer in that team?

On a side note, Dikembe Mutombo is my all-time favorite basketball player. He is the reason I'm watching basketball today, so, it's nothing personal for me to argue with your point.

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Biggest Rondo fan. But yes CP3 is still better. Boy's clutch and performs in the biggest moments.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2012, 03:37:18 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Just to throw this out there, I would never go with AI over Rondo either. 

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Not even at the free throw line?  ;)