Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18711 times)

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 01:34:58 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Nothing of my opinion has changed.

Paul is a top 5 player in the NBA (top 4 more accurately)

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

On what planet has Chris Paul earned top 5 player in the game...honestly.
Oh yeah...nothing...earn that in the playoffs

Leaving a team turned it from a playoff team to a lotto team.

Joining a team changed it from a lotto team to a 2nd round team. 

Has made good players look like all-stars (West, Chandler)

And is given that respect by most of his peers.

First round fodder...they then tanked to get draft picks once Chris Paul quit on them.

Clippers were on the way up anyways

Chandler was awesome with the mavericks and now knocks frankly he was the one who made Paul look good...David west is an all star caliber player.

Great,hes popular

Are you describing the last few years KG was with the t-wolves?

Except that Paul's team was 46-36, in the playoffs, the year before he left.

Yes kgs teams were horrible I'm not sure your point honestly....kg didn't ever play with talent like chandler and west and his teams were just fodder if that

He had players on his team with better talent. 

At the end, the team wasn't good enough, just like Paul's team wasn't good enough.  At least KG still has an owner. 

Of course none of this has to do with Paul's talent level and his effects on the court.  Just a non-talent level argument when the numbers arguments fail.

I still don't get the importance of fans having to argue that individual players on their team has to be the best?  Rondo probably has a better chance to win a title this year not because he is more talented, but because he is surrounded by a more talented and experienced team.

Show me where I said rondo is the best? this is strictly about chris paul being the most overrated player of the generation and there being no reason for a guy whos done nothing to be the one you judge other players by...its a joke.

When he carries his team to anything significant or ever comes anywhere close to living up to the hype of some things such as "better than isiah was" ill gladly say so

also im sorry but rondo would light it up with clippers talent, im not so sure about an aging KG and PP being this superior talent then what the clippers have...cp3 has 2 of the leagues most promising young bigs 3 point shooting out the wazoo and even big shot billups when he comes back..give me a break... if he was anything even close to as good as you think then theyre a legit contender, period end of discussion
Jerry I think you're reaching.  Chris Paul is essentially a flawless player.  We aren't talking about Allen Iverson here... a guy who consistently shot 40%, ballhogged his way to mass appeal and was never much of a team player.   Strictly statistically speaking, CP3 consistently ranks #1 and consistently in the top 5 amongst players.  Last year he was #5 behind Bron, Love, Durant and Howard.  Rondo was #29.  Beyond stats, there aren't many folks around the league that have anything bad to say about CP3.  He's seen as perhaps the best leader in the game and one of the best crunch time players in the game.  One of the league's best defenders.  He was selected All-NBA 1st team and All-Defense 1st team last year... both ahead of Rondo.   

You and I both know that leaning on Chris Paul's playoff history (which is solid considering the talent he played with) is unfair.  That's like saying KG wasn't a dominant force in the league during his prime, because the Wolves consistently got trounced in the playoffs... or that Paul Pierce wasn't one of the best SF's in the league, because the Celtics never did anything with him as their top player.

It's like saying Mario Chalmers is a better point guard, because he's been to the Finals twice and won a title.  Is that exaggerated?  Fine... it's like saying Chris Bosh is better than Dwight Howard, because he's won a ring.

This is a silly debate.  Chris Paul is better.  No question.  If you guys want something less lopsided to argue about... go with "Deron Williams vs Rondo".   There's a solid case for each side.  I'd say comparing Williams career to Rondo's... Williams gets the slight nod in spite of Rondo riding the Big 3 to a title.   But I'd have a tough time arguing that Williams (and his current ankle trouble) is playing as well as Rondo right now.  Much better debate.  Go with that one.

If Chris Paul is as good as you say he is then he can easily lead that clippers roster to the finals...and he wont come close. Its essentially a myth he doesn't have good teams around him while kg legitamately did not.

But again show me where I said rondo is better because he has a ring? Or at all for that matter, yes id take him but this is about Chris Paul being drastically overrated and has consistently been let off the hook..
lebron had worse teammates on the cavs and derrick rose with the bulls and they carried them to overachievement every year...if Chris Paul is the hands down unquestionable best pg and top 5 player with a better cast then those  teams by far why hasn't he even sniffed similar success....because hes overrated

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:47:28 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

First round fodder...they then tanked to get draft picks once Chris Paul quit on them.

Chandler was awesome with the mavericks and now knocks frankly he was the one who made Paul look good...David west is an all star caliber player.

Great,hes popular

Yes kgs teams were horrible I'm not sure your point honestly....kg didn't ever play with talent like chandler and west and his teams were just fodder if that

At the end, the team wasn't good enough, just like Paul's team wasn't good enough.  At least KG still has an owner. 

Of course none of this has to do with Paul's talent level and his effects on the court.  Just a non-talent level argument when the numbers arguments fail.

I still don't get the importance of fans having to argue that individual players on their team has to be the best?  Rondo probably has a better chance to win a title this year not because he is more talented, but because he is surrounded by a more talented and experienced team.

Show me where I said rondo is the best? this is strictly about chris paul being the most overrated player of the generation and there being no reason for a guy whos done nothing to be the one you judge other players by...its a joke.

When he carries his team to anything significant or ever comes anywhere close to living up to the hype of some things such as "better than isiah was" ill gladly say so

also im sorry but rondo would light it up with clippers talent, im not so sure about an aging KG and PP being this superior talent then what the clippers have...cp3 has 2 of the leagues most promising young bigs 3 point shooting out the wazoo and even big shot billups when he comes back..give me a break... if he was anything even close to as good as you think then theyre a legit contender, period end of discussion
Jerry I think you're reaching.  Chris Paul is essentially a flawless player.  We aren't talking about Allen Iverson here... a guy who consistently shot 40%, ballhogged his way to mass appeal and was never much of a team player.   Strictly statistically speaking, CP3 consistently ranks #1 and consistently in the top 5 amongst players.  Last year he was #5 behind Bron, Love, Durant and Howard.  Rondo was #29.  Beyond stats, there aren't many folks around the league that have anything bad to say about CP3.  He's seen as perhaps the best leader in the game and one of the best crunch time players in the game.  One of the league's best defenders.  He was selected All-NBA 1st team and All-Defense 1st team last year... both ahead of Rondo.   

You and I both know that leaning on Chris Paul's playoff history (which is solid considering the talent he played with) is unfair.  That's like saying KG wasn't a dominant force in the league during his prime, because the Wolves consistently got trounced in the playoffs... or that Paul Pierce wasn't one of the best SF's in the league, because the Celtics never did anything with him as their top player.

It's like saying Mario Chalmers is a better point guard, because he's been to the Finals twice and won a title.  Is that exaggerated?  Fine... it's like saying Chris Bosh is better than Dwight Howard, because he's won a ring.

This is a silly debate.  Chris Paul is better.  No question.  If you guys want something less lopsided to argue about... go with "Deron Williams vs Rondo".   There's a solid case for each side.  I'd say comparing Williams career to Rondo's... Williams gets the slight nod in spite of Rondo riding the Big 3 to a title.   But I'd have a tough time arguing that Williams (and his current ankle trouble) is playing as well as Rondo right now.  Much better debate.  Go with that one.

If Chris Paul is as good as you say he is then he can easily lead that clippers roster to the finals...and he wont come close. Its essentially a myth he doesn't have a good team around him while kg legitatmely didn't....I also think kg changed and learned from his mistakes in minnesota and and changed his approach in Boston where he became a true selfless team guy and leader

Easily lead the Clippers to the Finals?  The franchise coached by Vinny Del Negro who has barely won a playoff series since Sterling bought the team?  In a conference where Durant and Westbrook, Popovich, Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker, and the Lakers four Hall of Famers serves as his main competition?  Yeah, sounds like a cake walk to me.

The Celtics managed to sneak by the monstrous all-time squads in Atlanta and Philadelphia, which combine for 0 future Hall of Famers.

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 01:43:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
TP for you, sir!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

If Chris Paul is as good as you say he is then he can easily lead that clippers roster to the finals...and he wont come close. Its essentially a myth he doesn't have good teams around him while kg legitamately did not.

Nobody wins a title by themselves today.  The best player in the World could carry a team there, but not win. 

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2012, 01:49:23 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Nobody wins a title by themselves today.  The best player in the World could carry a team there, but not win.

Chris Paul is not by himself and simply never has been.

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

Great,hes popular

If Chris Paul is as good as you say he is then he can easily lead that clippers roster to the finals...and he wont come close. Its essentially a myth he doesn't have a good team around him while kg legitatmely didn't....I also think kg changed and learned from his mistakes in minnesota and and changed his approach in Boston where he became a true selfless team guy and leader

Easily lead the Clippers to the Finals?  The franchise coached by Vinny Del Negro who has barely won a playoff series since Sterling bought the team?  In a conference where Durant and Westbrook, Popovich, Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker, and the Lakers four Hall of Famers serves as his main competition?  Yeah, sounds like a cake walk to me.

The Celtics managed to sneak by the monstrous all-time squads in Atlanta and Philadelphia, which combine for 0 future Hall of Famers.

If hes a top 5 player in the game he should be in contention for a title with that roster...he wont be. If okc can get through the west then the best pg in the game should with that explosive roster...wont happen

Just for thought how exciting would rondo be on the break with griffin and Jordan?

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 01:54:36 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

Great,hes popular

If hes a top 5 player in the game he should be in contention for a title with that roster...he wont be. If okc can get through the west then the best pg in the game should with that explosive roster

I guess you think more of the Clippers roster and coaching than some of us do.  I respectfully disagree and would rather have Durant's, Dwight's, or Duncan's supporting casts.

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Chris Paul is not by himself and simply never has been.

And thus he has lead his team to moderate success in the playoffs.

He now has a player with the potential to be a true 2nd star in Blake, but he isn't there yet. 

The star depth of the top teams has gone up since the current Celtics first got together. 

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
For what it's worth, the only players who can lay claim to single-handedly dragging a team to the Finals in the modern era of basketball: Allen Iverson and LBJ (Cavs edition).

As I recall, it didn't work out all that well for either of them. Also, neither of them were point guards (in case that needs to be said).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

Great,hes popular

If hes a top 5 player in the game he should be in contention for a title with that roster...he wont be. If okc can get through the west then the best pg in the game should with that explosive roster

I guess you think more of the Clippers roster and coaching than some of us do.  I respectfully disagree and would rather have Durant's, Dwight's, or Duncan's supporting casts.

That's because you think Chris Paul is better then he really is...I'm not sure id rather have durants roster....switch those 2players and okc is fodder if even that and the clippers are much much better

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
For what it's worth, the only players who can lay claim to single-handedly dragging a team to the Finals in the modern era of basketball: Allen Iverson and LBJ (Cavs edition).

As I recall, it didn't work out all that well for either of them. Also, neither of them were point guards (in case that needs to be said).

Chris Paul has a better cast then either of those teams and its not close if hes as good as everyone says he should be able to get the clippers to the finals...wont happen...doubtful they get out of the first round and he will then quit on the clippers franchise
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:08:28 PM by scaryjerry »

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
A) Naturally, swapping a 6-11 wing who may be the most effortless "points on the board" scorer since a healthy T-Mac and a 6-0 point guard makes perfect sense.

B) I'd take 2001 AI or 2007 LBJ over CP3 in a heart-beat, but I brought them up to illustrate the silliness of your "can't bring them to the finals" argument.

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2012, 02:12:06 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Chris Paul has a better cast then either of those teams and its not close  if hes as good as everyone says he should be able to get the clippers to the finals...wont happen

And a harder path.

AI's team (that was carried by the defense, not his offense) had to beat the Thomas coached Pacers, the Carter Raptors and the Ray Allen/Big Dog/Cassell Bucks before being destroyed by the Lakers.

Paul has had to get past the Duncan Spurs (multiple titles), the Lakers (multiple titles) as well as strong teams like the Suns and Mavs. 

Lebron is the exception carrying his Cavs past the Pistons.  Lebron, the best player in the world.

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2012, 02:13:37 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
A) Naturally, swapping a 6-11 wing who may be the most effortless "points on the board" scorer since a healthy T-Mac and a 6-0 point guard makes perfect sense.

B) I'd take 2001 AI or 2007 LBJ over CP3 in a heart-beat, but I brought them up to illustrate the silliness of your "can't bring them to the finals" argument.

You're proving my point...Ai and Lbj were only at that time top5 players and carried lesser teams to the finals and once again Chris Paul wont come close

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2012, 02:15:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I would never take AI over Paul.  It is just about impossible to put together a title team around AI.  It took Larry Brown finding a bunch of really good team defenders that would stay interested in playing defense while watching a selfish undersized SG just toss up shot after shot. 

Give me the talented guy that can play with others and make them better over talented guy that only plays for their own glory.