Author Topic: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?  (Read 18707 times)

Re: Chris Paul Still better than Rondo?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I think I'd have to take Rondo at this point.  Chris Paul is likely better over the course of the regular season on the weight of his superior jumpshooting and foul-shooting.  But I agree with others when they say that Rondo at his best will have a better night than Paul at his best.  I think it's significant that Rondo turns into a monster when the lights are brightest.  If he sleepwalks against the Torontos of the league but flips out in the playoffs and in big games, then that's something I can live with - much rather have him do that than the other way around.

At this point, neither of them are good defensively.  I've always thought Paul was overrated on that end of the floor simply because of his steals (which is a terrible stat to use to judge overall defensive ability).  Rondo plays well for possessions at a time, but he's gambling more now than ever before.  He has the higher ceiling at this end of the floor and over his career has been better defensively than CP, but it's clear that he's not invested on that end this year.

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
the only people who think hes the best are fantasy nerds who only see him play a couple times a season...

Well, them and the people who voted him First Team All-NBA last year.  But what do they know, really?

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 11:38:15 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175
Rondo improving his jumper is finally making a comparison more possible.

Rondo's overall game is fast approaching CP3 's and baring injuries , he should put out numbers better than CP3 consistantly from yr to yr.

ROndos best game stat wise I think will always be better than CP3 , as I belive Rondo is a superior physical player today.

Where CP3 has the advantage Night in and night out is more of a mental "ATTITUDE"  about winning. Like Kobe , CP3 is 110% all in EVERY GAME is a must win , do or die situation. CP3 LEAVES it all on the floor , no matter what the circumstances. He may score only 5 points , but he did everything else a man could do to make up for not scoring , including carring the water bucket and towels to help his team.

Paul Pierce ccould play like this , never die I'll carry the team on back, so can KG, but they are getting too old to pull it off anymore. They know it and thats why they have given Rondo the Keys.

CP3 always seems to know HOW & When he has to take over , like Lebron has taken 8 years to figure it out. To me this is the sign of an ALstar, being able to take over a game at  a critical point and pull the win out for your team. 

Rondo is on the verge of having CP3 type leadership ..it shows up sporatically, he is just not shown this EVERY GAME yet or when the Celtics are down and out put the team on his back and assert his will on the game a t crunch time.  D Rose could carry his team at a critical point.

One day he'll understand , its time for me to "GO" and get this win for my team.It comes natural to some players, Rondo like Lebron is figuring it out I think.

I think one thing I like about Avery Bradley , is he may have this CP3 gene of , its time for me to step up and make sure my team gets a win. Bradley seems to understand WHEN & WHAT is needed of him during a game.

Ah yes that Chris Paul is such a leader he quit on the hornets! And gee he really knows when to take over! Hence never getting out of the second round while rondo is the best playoff performer outside lebron James.....I love these fraudulant Chris Paul myths

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Part of CP value, is that he fits with anyone. Kind of like Paul Pierce at SF actually.

With Rondo you need a certain type of rotation behind him and at the wings. (e.g. Tony Allen is a really bad wing to play with Rondo.) If we see a full season of quality shooting from the field. But in the meantime 6 games doesn't overcome a sample of 6 years.

Leadership - I've never been in an NBA locker room so I'd rather not guess at it.

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Nothing of my opinion has changed.

Paul is a top 5 player in the NBA (top 4 more accurately)

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

On what planet has Chris Paul earned top 5 player in the game...honestly.
Oh yeah...nothing...earn that in the playoffs

Leaving a team turned it from a playoff team to a lotto team.

Joining a team changed it from a lotto team to a 2nd round team. 

Has made good players look like all-stars (West, Chandler)

And is given that respect by most of his peers.

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

As I agree with your first two lines. Chandler and West have done pretty well on their own. West being the number one option in Indy. Chandler winning a championship for the mavs and defensive player of the year with the Knicks.

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
Part of CP value, is that he fits with anyone. Kind of like Paul Pierce at SF actually.

With Rondo you need a certain type of rotation behind him and at the wings. (e.g. Tony Allen is a really bad wing to play with Rondo.) If we see a full season of quality shooting from the field. But in the meantime 6 games doesn't overcome a sample of 6 years.

Leadership - I've never been in an NBA locker room so I'd rather not guess at it.

he fits with anyone...yeah that's why when the hornets replaced tysom chandler with emaka okafor he quit and okafor saw his play dropoff if anything... cute theory though

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Rondo's overall game is fast approaching CP3 's and baring injuries , he should put out numbers better than CP3 consistantly from yr to yr.

ROndos best game stat wise I think will always be better than CP3 , as I belive Rondo is a superior physical player today.

Where CP3 has the advantage Night in and night out is more of a mental "ATTITUDE"  about winning. Like Kobe , CP3 is 110% all in EVERY GAME is a must win , do or die situation. CP3 LEAVES it all on the floor , no matter what the circumstances. He may score only 5 points , but he did everything else a man could do to make up for not scoring , including carring the water bucket and towels to help his team.

Paul Pierce ccould play like this , never die I'll carry the team on back, so can KG, but they are getting too old to pull it off anymore. They know it and thats why they have given Rondo the Keys.

CP3 always seems to know HOW & When he has to take over , like Lebron has taken 8 years to figure it out. To me this is the sign of an ALstar, being able to take over a game at  a critical point and pull the win out for your team. 

Rondo is on the verge of having CP3 type leadership ..it shows up sporatically, he is just not shown this EVERY GAME yet or when the Celtics are down and out put the team on his back and assert his will on the game a t crunch time.  D Rose could carry his team at a critical point.

One day he'll understand , its time for me to "GO" and get this win for my team.It comes natural to some players, Rondo like Lebron is figuring it out I think.

I think one thing I like about Avery Bradley , is he may have this CP3 gene of , its time for me to step up and make sure my team gets a win. Bradley seems to understand WHEN & WHAT is needed of him during a game.

Ah yes that Chris Paul is such a leader he quit on the hornets! And gee he really knows when to take over! Hence never getting out of the second round while rondo is the best playoff performer outside lebron James.....I love these fraudulant Chris Paul myths

Like KG quit on the T-Wolves? 

Like Lebron quit on the Cavs?

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

First round fodder...they then tanked to get draft picks once Chris Paul quit on them.

Clippers were on the way up anyways

Chandler was awesome with the mavericks and now knicks frankly he was the one who made Paul look good...David west is an all star caliber player.

Great,hes popular

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 11:48:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

As I agree with your first two lines. Chandler and West have done pretty well on their own. West being the number one option in Indy. Chandler winning a championship for the mavs and defensive player of the year with the Knicks.

But he made them look like offensive stars.

In Dallas, Chandler had another great PG in Kidd who did the same thing. 

And West was not the number 1 option with the Pacers.  Granger took 5 more shots a game then West last year.  West took .5 more shots a game then Hibbert, .8 more shots then Barbosa and 1.1 shots more then Paul.   

West as the number 1 option is leading to a losing record at the moment. 

Yes, West has slowed down.  But he is a nice complimentary scorer, not the go to scorer.  Paul made him look like a go to scorer.

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 11:48:41 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Like KG quit on the T-Wolves? 

Like Lebron quit on the Cavs?

The wolves quit on kg

Yep

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

First round fodder...they then tanked to get draft picks once Chris Paul quit on them.

Chandler was awesome with the mavericks and now knocks frankly he was the one who made Paul look good...David west is an all star caliber player.

Great,hes popular

Are you describing the last few years KG was with the t-wolves?

Except that Paul's team was 46-36, in the playoffs, the year before he left. 

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2012, 11:52:11 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

Chandler was awesome with the mavericks and now knocks frankly he was the one who made Paul look good...David west is an all star caliber player.

Great,hes popular

Yes kgs teams were horrible I'm not sure your point honestly....kg didn't ever play with talent like chandler and west and his teams were just fodder if that

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2012, 11:58:21 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Chris Paul is better.  No question. 

Rondo is probably not even #2.  That said... through 7 games, Rondo is actually barely outperforming Chris Paul.  Rondo has an Efficiency number of 24.9 and Chris Paul has 24.6.  So technically, Rondo has had second best stats of any point guard (Kyle Lowry is #1)... through 7 games. Last year Rondo was 5th and the year before that he was 7th... Chris Paul is constantly #1. 

It should be noted, though... through 7 games, Rondo is averaging 8 more minutes per night... hence the slightly better stats.  Their EFF per 48 minutes has Chris Paul well ahead of Rondo with 35.82 and Rondo behind Lowry, Jeff Teague and Kyrie Irving with 29.56.  It's only been 7 games, though... we'll see how the season plays out.   

Chris Paul is the best point guard in the league.  Rondo leads the league in assists.  Hard to argue against either of these statements.   

I don't think that comparing efficiency stats is the only way to decide which point guard is playing better.
Stats are what Boston homers use to support their impossible case that Rondo is better than Chris Paul.  Chris Paul puts up better stats, though.

Pick a method other than Stats ("leadership", "clutch factor", etc).  If it's not "Rebounding ability", Chris Paul is probably coming out on top.   

For example... if you were to tell me that Rondo is better than Paul, because he's a "better passer", I'd point out that Chris Paul consistently has a better assist/turnover ratio. 

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Rondo is a top 5 PG.

Great,hes popular

Yes kgs teams were horrible I'm not sure your point honestly....kg didn't ever play with talent like chandler and west and his teams were just fodder if that

He had players on his team with better talent. 

At the end, the team wasn't good enough, just like Paul's team wasn't good enough.  At least KG still has an owner. 

Of course none of this has to do with Paul's talent level and his effects on the court.  Just a non-talent level argument when the numbers arguments fail.

I still don't get the importance of fans having to argue that individual players on their team has to be the best?  Rondo probably has a better chance to win a title this year not because he is more talented, but because he is surrounded by a more talented and experienced team.